Indications of interest: Ultrafire Hosts bored to support 18mm cells

Is there any interest in 18mm compatable ultrafire hosts?

• Definetally! Sounds Great! I'm interested!

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • There's potencial but I'm not interested personally.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • It won't work.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't bother, you're wasting your time.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

mdocod

Flashaholic
So I'm wondering if I couldn't put some of my knowledge of the trends around here to practical use. Both for me and for others here. I should really be getting a second job to help cover expenses- But I wonder If there aren't some things I could do in the CPF community to make some extra cash working with something I love... I spend too much time in front of this screen, some work in the garage would be good for me, lol...

I think that boring out these bodies, which are made from relatively soft aluminum, could be done on a drill press with a combination regular bit for the majority of the bore, finished off with a forstner bit without too much trouble... (I could be wrong here, would need to experiment a bit).

I'm thinking primarily 3 and 4 cell versions of the tactical lights that support D26 lamps. This way you could run 18500 or 18650 cells in these hosts at a lower cost than the other available options.

Ultrafire lights aren't the best quality, but for the price they are built surprisingly well.

These hosts would make getting into a decent tactical li-ion powered solution a little more affordable while still being able to use 18mm cells, which are preferred because they offer much better capacity and current delivery than their 17mm cousins.

I'm not going to look into this heavily unless there is any interest in making these available. So far as I know, there aren't many cheap options for these setups available.... One exception- there is a 18650 supporting host sold at dealextreme and QCG, holds 1 18650 for driving 3.7V D26 assemblies (comes with a G&P lamp).... So I figured I'd leave the 2 cell versions of the ultrafire out of the picture, with the primary focus on 4 cell versions for running a pair of 18650s.... ideal for running Surefire P91 or LF EO-9 lamps with decent runtimes.

I'm thinking the price would be somewhere around $20-30 including shipping to CONUS for the host, which I could probably arrange to come with a 9V G&P lamp.

There seems to be 2 versions of these available, the 501 and 502 series... The body design is different, one has a clip, but I think internally they are the same deal... Not sure yet which I would be using for this project, if It ever comes to fruition... suggestions welcome on this..

thanks for looking.... vote and tell me if I am nuts or not.. lol...