Anyone use diffusers on their EDC's

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was cleaning my flashlights in my work room when I found a little credit card sized plastic magnifying glass I used to use at work. The plastic sleeve it slides into is sort of frosted and very thin. I took my PD and shined it through the sleeve and the results were surprising. The hotspot transitioned very smoothly into the corona and the side spill became bigger. It also eliminted the spot light effect and provided a more floody beam. I'm sure overall lumens has decresed but doing the ceiling bounce I could not tell a difference between having it on or off.
I cut a small circle of it and placed it over the lens held in place by the bezel. I liked it so much I did the same on my HDS. I also glued some to the lense on my SMJLED modded Solitaire and it really got rid of the rings and artifacts. This is not for everybody but for up close tasks I am finding it very useful. I did a search and not many people seem to be doing it or trying it. I would recommend trying it especially if you use your EDC for up close tasks.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of ppl do this. The LDF lenses are diffusion filmed. Ppl also cut out WriteRights or the sides of milk cartons and apply them. The SureFire F04 is a similar filter that is removable.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replaced Write Right with Glad Press N' Seal on my Q3, and it's GREAT. Just played with it a few mins ago after recharging the battery as a matter of fact.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix P1D-CE benefits greatly from a light diffusing film. I have some contact paper used to line shelving and the bottom of drawers, that does the job on my P1D.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input people. I may look into WriteRights for my lights that do not have removeable bezels. Any suggestions for no lense lights (i.e. Gerber UI, Fenix EO)

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
A one-way mod (i.e., non-reversible) on those lens-less lights, is to take a light grit (I used 600) sandpaper and give the lens itself a permanent diffusing surface =) Helps if you can back the led out of the bezel.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bezel replacement kit from HDS used to include several diffusers they work very well.
I make my own from filter sample kits received from LEE FILTERS for free. You can also color correct your leds with these free filters. cooling and warming the emitted light with ease. Yes there is a little loss, what with the new generation of emitters a little loss is not that terrible of a thing. combining color correction with diffusion yields excellent results.
Yaesumofo

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've got some little white plastic blood tubes from work that fit very nicely on my Arc AAA. Turns it into a lantern. I'm always on the lookout for plastic bottles and caps that fit on the lights.

Geoff

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
I have found that Glad press and seal film works great. I have it on my Pelican M6's and have it on my SF 6P/LED sometimes for close quarters work.

Mark Richardson

Newly Enlightened
L2 optics in the UK sell a number of converter lenses/diffusers that clip on to their narrow optic which allows for configurable bean patterns - quite useful if you can find a way to use them with other optics. This is a good argument for using a tight beam collimating optic as it is easier to diffuse a concentrated beam pattern to configure to a wide beam when required than it is to do the reverse.
Cheers,
MJR

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
A purpose-made LDF lens or diffuser like Surefire's or the LDF lenses sold by flashlightlens.com have very little actual impact on the amount of light coming out. The light is scattered, but not blocked. Much better than taking a plastic lens (which is already 10% or so less clear than a UCL glass lens) and sanding it.

I like the diffused beam for close-up and indoor use. I put a LDF lens on my U-bin upgraded Jil Intelli for keychain use because it was brighter than my Ion but still had a nice flood. Keep in mind though that using a diffuser will kill the throw of your light.

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
A clear water bottle cap makes a suprisingly good substitute for a F04 diffuser on E-series heads :D