CREE UVs 390-395 nm

LED Chick

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I was contacted by someone at LED Lighting Supply today about CREE UVVs. I am thinking about ordering some does anyone have any experience with the CREE LEDs? I may think about doing a group buy or just buying them and maybe reselling.

Thanks!

Last edited:

LEDependent

Enlightened
Re: UVVs

These are normal 5mm discrete LEDs, right? I'd assume they were just like any other 5mm UV LEDs. Cree's reputation is very good, especially around here.

Are you trying to gauge interest? What's the second 'V' stand for in "UVV"?

LED Chick

Newly Enlightened
Re: UVVs

Yes, the order code is XL7090UVV-L100-UV7-11-0001. I was just wondering if there is a large market for them. I would assume with Municipalities it would be huge but I am not sure who else would want a UV Flashlight.

LEDependent said:
These are normal 5mm discrete LEDs, right? I'd assume they were just like any other 5mm UV LEDs. Cree's reputation is very good, especially around here.

Are you trying to gauge interest? What's the second 'V' stand for in "UVV"?

LEDite

Enlightened
LED Chick;

I've been buying them for over a year or so to use in my lithium rechargable lights.

They have plenty of usable UVA output.

I have plenty of slightly higher Bin UV 8-12 if you want to try a few.

Larry Cobb

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
390-395nm is just a little bit high, I think. It's good for charging up glow powder and making neon colors fluoresce, but not nearly as good as 380-385. 390-395 washes stuff with a lot of bright purple. 390-395nm does not fluoresce stains (cat "messes", for instance) very well, either. (380-385 does a great job at making them fluoresce)

LEDite

Enlightened
Trashman;

Most of the UV lights I make are for urine detection on flooring.

I also have several 380nm lights with 48 5mm LEDs.

The Cree still makes the urine stains more visible, even though there is more visible purple.

Larry Cobb

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
No kidding? Could it be that the Terralux UV droppin, which is supposed to be 395nm, just wasn't bright enough? Comparing the Terralux (Cree X-Lamp 7090) with a 21LED 380-385 light that I have wasn't very favorable for the Cree. The light *looked* way brighter, because of all the purple, but wasn't nearly as effective for finding the cat stains in my house. (not even close, actually) The purple actually made it difficult to locate the stains, whereas the 380-385nm 21LED UV light makes them stand out *very* clearly.

I guess we have contradicting data!

winston

Enlightened
I've been wondering about wavelength vs. power for a few weeks now. California DLs and IDs have an anti-counterfeit feature on them where the tri-color state flag is visible under UV light. At my work we have a flourescent tube blacklight at the front door, and all three colors show up great when viewed under that light. In a search for a portable alternative, I've purchased an Inova X1 UV (395nm), a cheapie CR2016 UVLED keychain light (395nm?), and a cheapie 9xUVLED 3xAAA light (385nm). The Inova and the CR2016 lights make only one of the three colors visible (weakly), while the 3xAAA light makes all three colors visible (also weakly). I assume the different wavelengths are responsible, but wish I knew enough to rule out voltage difference as the cause. :confused:
-Winston

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, to me it seems that the actual current sent to the LED plays quite a bit as well. I have one light with 5 LEDs driven to a lower level than one identical LED in anther light. The light with the 5 LEDs driven softer absolutely gives off less total light which makes it appear to flouresce things more effectively. Both flouresce very well, but for detecting stains or 'messes' close up, the lower driven 5 LEDs is MUCH more effective.

I didn't realize that Cree made 5mm UV LEDs though. There was a big frenzy a year or 18 months ago over the ~1W Cree UV emitters.

These are definately 5mm LEDs though? Any idea of a ballpark price for, say 10 of them?

LED Chick

Newly Enlightened
They are you can take a look at the info at www.LEDLightingSupply.com I think is on their home page under products. I haven't decided to buy them just yet but I think I may I think they are around $10 each. I am hoping to get a better deal on them though if I can buy in bulk. I am not sure that I can use 1,000 of them though!

cratz2 said:
Honestly, to me it seems that the actual current sent to the LED plays quite a bit as well. I have one light with 5 LEDs driven to a lower level than one identical LED in anther light. The light with the 5 LEDs driven softer absolutely gives off less total light which makes it appear to flouresce things more effectively. Both flouresce very well, but for detecting stains or 'messes' close up, the lower driven 5 LEDs is MUCH more effective.

I didn't realize that Cree made 5mm UV LEDs though. There was a big frenzy a year or 18 months ago over the ~1W Cree UV emitters.

These are definately 5mm LEDs though? Any idea of a ballpark price for, say 10 of them?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are the ones in the Terralux UV upgrade. They're 1 watters. How many are you looking for? You might just try making a WTB thread for a few (if that'll do). You might try asking Litemania about them. He was selling Jil CR2 1.3w lights with those in them. I think he was doing the swapping himself, so he might have some he'll sell to you. Can't hurt to ask!

Last edited:

LEDite

Enlightened
Led chick;

I have some extra XL7090 UVV Cree LEDs.

They are Bin UV8-12.

$9 + Shipping

Larry Cobb

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's what I couldn't figure out... 5mm LEDs, even decent UVs are pretty darn cheap. I think these are the LEDs that were all the rage about a year ago.

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
You're looking at the Cree 1W UV X-lamp 7090. I've made a few lights with them. They are quite a bit stronger and more capable of throwing than the 5mm UV leds I've played with when you put them in a deep reflector. The wavelength around 390-395nm is low enough to fluouresce lots of things, but still has a bit of visible purple to it. Yellow UV safety glasses help filter that out (and keep you safe).

When you consider UV lights, you must know that when dealing with low wavelenghts, some things only fluouresce over a very narrow range of wavelenghts. There are somethings you won't see with this LED which you would with a lower wavelength LED. There are somethings you must get really close to with other LEDs to get the same effect you can with this from afar. It's good to consider what you want to react and there is a website--I think maybe it's the work of xenopus, but I don't remember off hand--that lists what each wavelenght is best for. If you find that website, I'd recommend it.

I like this LED because of it's output and focusability. I like being able to focus the light and charge up all my glow in the dark stuff around the room in the middle of the night before getting out of bed.

I would caution you to consider your market if you want to buy these in bulk, because they don't seem like something for your average Joe--or even your average CPF Joe. Some people seem quite scared of them. If you want to get a few to try out--LEDite seems to have a good price, and I might have a few too.

Luminescene

Newly Enlightened
For shorter wavelengths the similar Nichia NCCU033T gives 365nm and over 100mW of it at 700ma. They can be focused very well, OMICRON makes a TE cooled module with one of these that delivers over 100mW into a single core glass fibre. http://www.lasersystem.de/UV-LED_neu.pdf
I have had a chance to play with one of these and the fluorescence is dramatic. Only problem is you need good eye protection!