golston 7w and fenix cree L2d

alfred

Newly Enlightened
The last LED light i bought was the golston 7w 8 months ago from DAE... I'm just wondering which light is brighter overall output? golston or fenix cree L2d.

just when i thoguht that my flash light collecting days is over now i see this new cree lights, I didnt visit the forum for 6 months! any link for beam shot comparison would be helpful.

zapper

Enlightened
I wasn't sure what to expect from my L2D. It's not centered so that may have something to do with that. I modded my Golston 7W with a VXOU LUX V and direct drive it with two RCR123 at about 800 mA. Thought it was pretty nice but nothing to compare with really until now. It puts out more overall light than before but doesn't throw as far so it's up to you to determine if that's brighter. Lights up a room better in a ceiling bounce test. I love the fact that the L2D uses 2xAA and has variable outputs therefore meets my requirements. Great beem, not too tight but not too floody either. Impressive compared to other AA lights, but not a wow light to me. I'm biased and tainted though by now. The LUX V mod puts out more overall light and throws the same if not more, with a bigger hotspot. Ofcourse, apples and oranges. The mod is only for searching outdoors and close to home or the charger. The L2D is for everything else!

Last edited:

zapper

Enlightened
Oh yeah, price may play a factor. Depending on what you paid for your Golston. I say the L2D will be brighter but by how much and what you expect is a variable. Excellent features though and runtimes as well as brighter. Have to figure if all that is worth the extra $$$.

alfred

Newly Enlightened
let me just clarify this. you're saying is that with your modification the golston is brighter than the fenix l2d?

how about a stock golston v.s. L2d?

thanks for the quick reply just really want to get an idea on how bright this new light is. I also like the idea of multiple levels and to be able to use 2aa batteries, i have tons of NIMH lying around since i use it for most of my gadgets. I just hope there are other option on 2AA cree market.. as far as i know its only available from fenix..

zapper

Enlightened
The mod is slightly overall brighter with a bigger hotspot and throws the same distance as "my" L2D using my eyes, no measurements. It also has twice the diameter reflector though. Because of this the stock Golston will throw further, but the LUX III just won't put out as much total light as the Cree. Kind of like comparing a laser to a LUX III for a dramatic example. Laser throws farther but LUX kills it in total output and useability. Now, if you wanted to put a star mounted Cree in that Golston... But then again, the L2D uses 2xAA, has variable outputs and constant regulation.