Please recommend a charger for L2D CE

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
I've never used AA rechargeable batteries before but I'm looking for some for my L2D CE. I was thinking about the 15 minute charger from Duracell with the 2400 mAh batteries. I know the quick chargers tend to have more trouble than the standard ones, so does anyone have any experience with these? Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks

gigbyt

Newly Enlightened
check out thomas-distributing.com

they have a lot of chargers in different price ranges.
i have ordered from them a few times and have never had a problem.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Get one with independent single channel operation, meaning that you can charge one to four AA or AAA cells independently. Otherwise you'll have to charge two batteries at a time--and you'll want to charge single cells if you move into a flashlight that requires either 1 cell or three cells. You should also match actual battery capacities fairly closely in two cell lights.

I just received a LaCrosse Technology BC-900 charger and I want to make a pitch for it even though it's not my fastest one. There's also a brand new MAHA charger that does this, although I've read one review that indicates it has more limitations than the LaCrosse--and is about 50% more expensive. This has four independent charging and discharging channels and can be relatively fast--i.e. charge to full in 1 1/2 hrs. You set the charge/discharge rates. However, the beauty of it is that it gives individual readouts for each battery and lists the voltage, current, time per segment and capacity of the battery at the press of a button. It also has four modes: charge, discharge, refresh, and test. This allows you to discharge and then recharge a battery--over and over if you need to. You need to do this periodically to NiMH batteries because they become conditioned to a lower capacity than rated, sometimes severely so as time goes on. This can bring old batteries completely back to life!

It allows you to see the total charged capacity in mah of each battery, when charged fully too. This is major since otherwise you have no idea of how well your battery is performing. It's (or was a few days ago) only 39.95 and has free shipping on Amazon.

I have a faster charger with independent channel charging too, but not with digital readouts and discharge capability. This is only one of two that I'm aware of that can do all this. Great little charger. Oh yes, it is supposed to work for NiCads too.

LightScene

Enlightened
The main thing is to get a charger that can charge 1 AA or 1 AAA at a time. There's no need to spend a lot of money. That charger from kaidomain recommended by Newuser01 looks good.

sunglob

Newly Enlightened

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've got a Duracell 1 hour charger that came with 2300mAh NiMH last year, and it works great with my current crop of 2750mAh duracells (and every other AA/AAA I've thrown at it). It has independent channels.

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
I have the 15min duracell rechargeables and have had no problems with them.

When you buy more batts you can get the 2650mah ones too

martonic

Enlightened
I got the Energizer fast charger - it's cheap, comes with batteries, it really is fast and it works on one to four batteries - no problems seen yet.

d1337

Enlightened
Don't forget the importance of getting the right batteries. I would recommend Low Self Discharge NiMH batteries. You can get them at amondotech.com or Walmart has Rayovac Hybrid batteries that have the same benefits. Hope this is helpful.

BUZ

Enlightened
d1337 said:
Don't forget the importance of getting the right batteries. I would recommend Low Self Discharge NiMH batteries. You can get them at amondotech.com or Walmart has Rayovac Hybrid batteries that have the same benefits. Hope this is helpful.

How do the rayovac and other brands compare to the energizer brand rechargables (quality wise)? Been wanting to know about this for a while since all I use are energizer 2500's in a 15 min quick charger!

d1337

Enlightened
BUZ said:
How do the rayovac and other brands compare to the energizer brand rechargables (quality wise)? Been wanting to know about this for a while since all I use are energizer 2500's in a 15 min quick charger!

The Low Self Discharge/ Hybrid technologhy (not found on energizers yet) have the bennifit of lasting longer when stored. Normal NiMH batteries like the energizers slowly "leak" energy over time. This means that if I leave my flashlight or camera in a drawer for a few months the batteries will be dead. The low self discharge batteries keep a charge for a much larger period of time.

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
The Eneloop cells also happen to have a higher voltage throughout the whole discharging process, compared to other NiMHs. And their performance does not decrease much at low temperatures.