L1D - Can U see any difference bet Max & High?

pae77

Enlightened
On my L1D there is absolutely no visual difference between Turbo (Max) and High (and I have looked very carefully for some). I was wondering if this is normal and what other owners of the L1D have experienced?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
if not sure, use some kind of measuring instrument.
As most of us dont have something to measure light output, a junky multimeter, connected to the battery, should give some info.

Mine shows 1.2 A draw both on high and on turbo, so my guess is: same brightness
Thats what I also see --> no difference

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Myself and others have noticed the difference between L1D-CE high and turbo only when using 1.7V lithiums. On NiMH and alkaline the difference is so small as to be un-noticeable.

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
Yes, for about the hundreth-time, .... I can see a difference using either NiMH or Lithium primary... on each of the 2 that I have.

And even if someone can't, why is this such a big deal to anyone?

Would it make someone feel better if their flashlight had an "11" on it - so it would be brighter than the "10" position?

(The constant reoccurence of this particular question for this particular flashlight is starting to bug me, as if one couldn't tell)..Sorry for the sarcasm.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a regular alkaline I do not notice any difference. I am using a 14500 in my L1D. Now I can see a difference!

saltwater

Newly Enlightened
I can see absolutely no difference. The review on Flashlight reviews shows the output on both levels to be exactly the same. For those who claim to notice a difference all I can say is you must have incredibly keen eyesight.

jram67

Newly Enlightened
Closet_Flashaholic said:
Yes, for about the hundreth-time, .... I can see a difference using either NiMH or Lithium primary... on each of the 2 that I have.

Would it make someone feel better if their flashlight had an "11" on it - so it would be brighter than the "10" position?

(The constant reoccurence of this particular question for this particular flashlight is starting to bug me, as if one couldn't tell)..Sorry for the sarcasm.

You could just stop reading the posts that ask this question,

Just a thought!

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
saltwater said:
I can see absolutely no difference. The review on Flashlight reviews shows the output on both levels to be exactly the same. For those who claim to notice a difference all I can say is you must have incredibly keen eyesight.

It depends of the unit! Some saw a difference with a lightmeter but not enough to be seen by naked eye!

mchlwise

Enlightened
I can see a difference...

When using Energizer Lithiums. :grin2:

On regular NIMH's, no.

I think the reason this question keeps coming up is that one mode is called "high" while the other is called "turbo". "Turbo" implies that it's better/brighter than high, and when it apparently isn't, people rightly wonder what happened when their expectations weren't met.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notice only a small difference, If I swap the head with that of my L2D tube there
is a huge difference, both lights have the same head.

r0b0r

Enlightened
I notice a very small difference. Doesn't concern me though.

I just like the option to have the light come on in low or high. I don't care if the "high" is the same as "turbo" with only one cell.

Fenix do kinda state this in the specs... 80-90L is not a big difference at all. The L2D with 80-135L is where the turbo mode is true to its name :)

If it was called Maximum Output then there'd be less confusion - but Turbo just sounds so much cooler!

There should be a little note on the L1 \ L2 specs from Fenix like...

"Turbo mode enables maximum output. A single cell has maximum 90L which is only slightly visibly brighter than the 80L of High mode.
Two cells allows a very distinct increase in brightness (80-135L)."

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
As agreed, barely perceptible on L1D CE: my light meter says 3-4% increase in throw on alkaline/lithium, and ~7% overall output increase. Negligible

Mode is only there for the 2AA configuration in L2D CE, where it nearly doubles output (i.e. same head).

pae77

Enlightened
It's not just that one mode is called Turbo and one is called high because the published specs indicate that Turbo is supposed to have a shorter runtime than high, indicating that there is should be some difference.

g36pilot

Enlightened
A non-3.7v single cell isn't enough power to drive the L1D-CE turbo mode to full output. The L1D-CE head is the same used on the 2AA (3v) powered L2D-CE.

From what I've read here at CPF the L1D-CE in turbo mode merely drains the battery faster with minimal output increase. Turbo mode appears to need the higher voltage of the two cell L2D to work properly.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Closet_Flashaholic said:

Sorry could you repeat that please (in larger font size, red and bold)?
I have left my glasses at home. :ohgeez:

Last edited: