Newbie Fenix LOP SE vs LOD SE Question

etang78

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking here for a few weeks and it's been a great resource for lights. I've already purchased a Fenix E0, which is a pretty cool light. I was able to run it on a "dead" battery (Would not power up my MP3 player) for over 20 hours. It was dim at the end, but still usable light.
Anyways, I'm interested in purchasing my 2nd light. I've been looking at the LOP SE and the LOD SE and wondering what the difference is besides the obvious:
1) 3 modes vs 5 modes.
2) Different LED, but not sure what the means.

Does anyone have any input/experience with both lights? I've done some searches on the forum and could not find any direct comparisons. Does the LOD SE use PWM also?

Would it make more sense to just get the LOD CE?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

oregon

Enlightened
I have all three: EO, LOP SE and LOD CE.

The EO & LOD CE ride in my mission wallet. The LOP SE sits in my desk drawer gathering dust (bypassed by advances in technology).

Only the LOD CE has the new efficient CREE light emiting diode. The other two use less efficient LEDs (less run-time and/or less bright).

oregon

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
For actual usefulness, I think the big difference is brightness on the lower settings. The L0P SE on low is about as bright as your E0, but with a lot less blue in the beam. The L0D SE on low is about twice as bright as your E0. Personally, I'd rather have a low setting that was a little lower than EITHER of the Fenix lights. I'd like something that was 2 lumens that would run for about 30 or 40 hours on a Lithium cell.

Now, I'm obviously in the minority of CPF members that like a very low 'low' setting, but if you are going to have three on what is basically a really nice keychain light, one of them should be very low in my opinion.

Having said that, they are both excellent choices and you shouldn't have trouble selling either if them if they aren't to your liking.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I agree with cratz2 's assessment of relative brightness, however in actual use I kind of like the E0 better than the low level of the L0Pse because it is more of a flood. It almost "seems" brighter at short distances for this reason. And while I also like the idea of a very dim low level, I'm thinking the low on the L0Dse may be more usable than the L0Pse. Obviously I don't have the L0Dse yet to really compare accurately. I'd also appreciate more commentary from those that have both on this matter or any other.

By the way, welcome to CPF, etang78

Geoff

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I upgraded my L0P-SE with a Seoul emitter, and it was brighter, whiter, and tremendously smoother than my L0D-CE. I sold it, so it's gone.

I have a few L0D's on my workbench, upgrading them to Seoul emitters. I expect good things once again. Should be done tomorrow.

capplight

Newly Enlightened
EngrPaul, or others who have modded the LOP-SE - I plan to mod mine with a Seoul P4 that I ordered from Photonfanatic. For this mod, is it necessary to shave off some from the bottom of the reflector to get a good beam pattern, or is it just a matter of swapping out the emitter? Thanks for your advice

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually take a little off. The reflector spins out and then can be sanded across a wide file. You can use the flashlight in "candle mode" and shave off enough to get the focus you like. Just be sure to back of about 1/8" turn after you bump into the emitter when you loctite the head back over the pill. You don't want to put constant pressure on the emitter.

capplight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Great idea with candle mode and adjusting focus. I modded an LM-303 with a SSC P4 and didn't shave the reflector, buy may go back in and adjust it because although it's great, the throw could probably be better. Thanks again.