Ouch

roadie

Enlightened
i jus got went to remove one of my decaying wisdom tooth early yestersday ....

ironically, after extraction, not painful as expected .... :)

but drop a tear while extraction :(

ouch ......

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one operation to remove all four of my wisdom teeth and implant a titanium bolt to hold an implant. They said I was only going to be under partial anaesthetic, so I was worried that they'd just swab some on my gums and dive in, but I was mistaken. They had me almost completely under - I was almost asleep while they worked. I remember hearing a grinding noise at one point, and I said "woooooow." That's about it.

I was numb for several hours (it was extremely funny trying to drink a Jamba smoothie, as it kept dribbling down my chin without my realizing it), and it healed up beautifully.

I was pretty lucky that time.

Empath

Flashaholic
Pero, you've been advised against this type of posting by Sasha in the thread you mentioned. You're advised of the same here. Either seriously edit or remove the contents.

Edit: Sufficient time has been given. The post has been removed.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If any of you folks are contemplating having wisdom teeth out, do it all at once. One period of misery is much better than several. And don't wait--the younger you are the easier it is to remove them. Oh yeah, see if you can bring home the party favors.

teeph.jpg

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I did too, after one rotted and broke apart. :sick2:
And it hurt bigtime!
The others were in deteriorating shape too.
They all had to come out. :wave:

Getting them all taken out was actually considerable less painful than the bad one did while it was in there.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one that; first had root canal, then got a big gold crown put on it, then had to have a hole drilled through it for more root canal, then it had to be pulled..! I really should give it to my dentist for Christmas...
The pulling wasn't so bad, but the pain that set in during the long drive from the oral surgeon to the pharmacy was! Oy, driving with bad tooth pain is not fun..
(note to self -- next time bring own pills..) !

DM51

Flashaholic
Abtomat, those are GROSS! You had them all out at once? Must have hurt like hell afterwards.

roadie

Enlightened
gross , ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i meant the pic , at first thought i seen ..., eee

:) :0 mine's kinda of no better ..... :)

maybe i shld keep that extracted one, and shall pic all together in many years later together, heheheheheheeeee

AnimalHousePA

Enlightened
My bottom two wisdom teeth needed to come out for about 10 years. Every year at roughly the same time, they would push out more and this would cause a great deal of pain for about a month. I would just pop Advil like Pez candy and use Ambusol in large quantities. Well after the 10th year, the pain got so bad that I finally made the decision to get the teeth extracted, as they were impacted. I did not want to be knocked out so I opted for the Nitrous and local numbing. The surgery didn't last all that long. The doc gave me the gas and after I felt it (I started smiling), he numbed up both sides of my mouth. Then he would test the area with his instruments to make sure I didn't feel anything. Then he started yanking them out. That didn't bother me even though I could hear the cracking of my teeth as they were being pulled.
Post-op was a different story. It was the worst pain of my life! I've been in a few major accidents but nothing could compare to the throbbing pain of extracted (impacted) wisdom teeth. I was prescribed Vicoprofen and was taking them every couple of hours but my discomfort was so great that they didn't help at all.
After a couple of days, the pain started to lessen and I felt better...Then I got dry socket on the one side of my mouth. Pain came back again, though nowhere near as bad as before.
A couple years later, I had my top two wisdom teeth extracted and there was no pain whatsoever afterwards. I was still awake for the surgery. I guess the fact that my bottom teeth were so impacted and I felt it go on for so long was the reason why it hurt so bad after the procedure. :sick2:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had 3/4 impacted and had them pulled all at once - sedated during the procedure, and while there was pain afterwards it didn't keep me from eating thanksgiving leftovers..

Long story short - don't schedule a procedure that keeps you from eating for the day after a major food holiday..

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forget my recovery schedule exactly, but I wasn't eating solid foods for a week. The steady pain was only bad for a few days after they were pulled. However, for a while afterwards I had to be very careful about getting food back there.

In my case they were impacted and every couple months would get infected and painful. After a while I just decided that I couldn't put up with that any more. I wish I had chosen a slightly different time, though, because as it turned out they were pulled before my birthday. Had to put off the cake and good food for a week or so.

roadie

Enlightened
apparently the dentist told me that all my wisdom teeth are growing like normal teeth angle, not side ways ......

very funny, i didnt notice any pain in the area after the first day, its like extracting a normal tooth .... hmmmmm ........ i was ready for a week of pain , but nothing ....

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
..just saw those teefus! eeeuu. man look at those curly q roots! how do those come out?! (..but only two? Mine had/has THREE roots, and, of course, looong ones...)
(you're lucky I don't have a camera :rolleyes: )

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lower ones were partial bone impactions and he had to grind the corners off, like you see in the photo. I gather from what he said that it wasn't easy getting them out. Luckily I'm a younger fellow so it was possible without nerve damage.

swampgator

Enlightened
Sounds like some of you got over pretty easy. Two of my wisdom teeth were pulled by an Army dentist. No gas, no IV cocktail, just good old fashion xylocaine. And lots of it. He'd numb a little then tap, tap, tap - "can you feel that?" Yep. Then a little more xylo. Tap, tap, tap - "can you feel it?" Apparently he finally got the idea when they had to strap my legs down.

Finally after 27 shots or so, he knocked them out. That was the tapping I heard. The man was breaking my tooth! The top was easy and came out in one piece but the bottom was stubborn and got broken up and had to be drilled out.

Then he tells me that I might want to have my pain meds (percocets) script filled before the local wore off. That was 2pm on a Thursday. I was back at work at 1145pm Friday. Gotta love working for your uncle.

Needless to say I still have the other two and if and when they need to come out I'm going for the IV drip, happy gas and local.

Canuke

Enlightened
roadie said:
i jus got went to remove one of my decaying wisdom tooth early yestersday ....

ironically, after extraction, not painful as expected .... :)

but drop a tear while extraction :(

ouch ......

Just do what I did....grow only one wisdom tooth, and then have it kicked out in kung fu class! :nana:

Actually, I only had a part of the top knocked off, and decided to get it yanked instead of waiting for the hole to become a gigantic toothache. The dentist who handled it was the best I've had... after hearing all the horror stories about wisdom teeth pulling, I was prepared for the worst. But after he froze me up good, his removal of the tooth was barely noticeable... after he'd worked on it a bit, I felt some looseness and out it came, like removing a loose bolt. A few days of healing, and all done.

He did tell me that I was doubly lucky, in having enough room for them to grow in straight, and in growing only one.