SEOULmated Longbow

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've wanted a Longbow Micra flashlight for years. The build quality and attention to detail on these is superb! Even the light engine is stylish, and nicely potted. Unfortunately these lights have been out of production for at least a year and the actual light generated isn't all that bright by today's standards. :(

I finally was able to scare up a used Longbow Micra and the wheels started turning...
:thumbsup:

First, I ordered one of the Longbow McCapsule kits still available at the Sandwich Shoppe. This is the equivalent of an e-can sized and threaded to replace the Longbow light engine. I also grabbed a MadMax+ boost converter, which has long been one of my favorite boards... according to Wayne's specifications the board is in the neighborhood of 88% efficient when running on a 3V cell (1x123 primary) and outputs somewhere in the neighborhood of 800mA to the emitter. We'll get back to that later. :naughty:

Some other interesting things about the MM+ circuit... for one, it limits input current to 1A, thereby pretty much guaranteeing you won't slam your cell... and it allows brightness to fade ever so gradually toward the end of runtime, with an unusually long tail (a.k.a. emergency light, afterglow, moon mode), giving plenty of opportunity either to locate another light, or get home. No sudden darkness! IMHO this board doesn't get enough respect.

Once the goodies arrived, I shortened a McR18 reflector for optimal focus with a Seoul Semiconductor P4 USVOI emitter hand selected for quality of tint and an unusually low Vf... the former for improved color rendition, the latter for some extra runtime. And so the build began...

img-longbow-micra-morelite-bezel.jpg

Tossed in a glow ring around the reflector, which I find myself doing more and more these days. In addition to the obvious eye candy, the glow ring serves a more important purpose, namely weatherproofing the bezel... and since they're more pliable than standard o-rings they seem to do an exceptional job of squeezing into all the nooks and crannies for a good positive seal. :)

On a more minor note, while the light was in pieces I took the opportunity to clean it thoroughly and even restored the white lettering along the side, which had faded a bit. Also added a homemade rubber grip ring toward the tail end (a clicky tail) and an appropriately-sized rubber o-ring at the head end of the body for grip in general.

img-longbow-micra-morelite-profile.jpg

The tiny lanyard is the handiwork of our own Moeman, one of his signature spiral patterns. Absolutely gorgeous, and just the right size for a tiny light like this. Thanks Moeman!

:bow:

img-longbow-micra-morelite-standing.jpg

I haven't done any careful runtime analyses yet, but all indications are that I'll have bright output for about 90 minutes, followed by gradual dimming over maybe a 30 minute duration, and finally, at least a few hours of lower-level illumination. Initial brightness (remember that 800mA output current?) ought to be somewhere around 160 lumens, and stay within about 20% of that figure for the first 90 minutes.

Oh, and the circuit does seem to have some degree of overdrive capability by which I could run an RCR123 Li-ion rechargeable for a little extra output boost without fearing immediate release of the magic smoke. ;)

[size=+1]Update... More Photos, More Info![/size] :)

Okay, hot off the presses, some more photos! :D

The beam is a nice combination of throw and sidespill... it's not exactly a super long throwing light, but given its size not all that bad!

img-longbow-soma-mm-ceiling.jpg

Here's a photo collage comparing the beams at roughly 20 feet distance of a few lights... note that the SEOULmated Longbow Micra is easily the smallest light of the bunch...

img-longbow-porch-ambient-l5-micra-m310.jpg

As far as length, this version of the Longbow Micra (the clicky tail version) measures about 3 5/8 inches long... the same light with twisty tail measures 3 1/4 inches long. To be honest, I'd have rather gotten my hands on a twisty version of this light, in hard anozed black finish... but beggars can't be choosers! I'm just happy to have gotten one of these beautiful little lights. :eek:

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
skalomax said:
Great little light.

So, Is this badboy for sale? :whistle:

Uh... maybe, but let me enjoy it for a little while first! :laughing:

If I can get another Longbow Micra then I'd be happy to build ya one right away. :)

r3d33m3r

Newly Enlightened
That is one nice litle torch/light, and i am glad you finaly got your hands on that Longbow since you like it that much.

Regards.

P.S.
O.K. people i have a problem and it goes something like this: i have a lot of laptop batteries ( 8 18650 cells each i think ) oh and a lot of laptops BTW, but on the emiter department i have only two Luxeon 1W found by accident yada yada yada...... Sooooo anyone willing to trade ( will give a battery for at least 2 Seoul or CREE plus pay my side of the shiping costs 25 EURO per battery ).

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet. I've always liked the Longbow Micra also. I forgot, what is the length of the clicky and twisty versions? And what is the stock current to the LED with the stock driver?

Dan C

Enlightened
Nice. I like Longbow's too. I carry one at work with the 2xAA body. It has a custom made insert that replaces the LE and holds a standard sandwich. I'm running a Cree/Madmax+ sammie through a McR19 reflector. They are a good tough light, good for a rough work environment. I've never seen a clickie tailcap, how do they feel?

Watch for a PM on an idea you may be able to help me with......

Dan C

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, hot off the presses, some more photos! :D

The beam is a nice combination of throw and sidespill... it's not exactly a super long throwing light, but given its size not all that bad!

img-longbow-soma-mm-ceiling.jpg

Here's a photo collage comparing the beams at roughly 20 feet distance of a few lights... note that the SEOULmated Longbow Micra is easily the smallest light of the bunch...

img-longbow-porch-ambient-l5-micra-m310.jpg

As far as length, this version of the Longbow Micra (the clicky tail version) measures about 3 5/8 inches long... the same light with twisty tail measures 3 1/4 inches long. To be honest, I'd have rather gotten my hands on a twisty version of this light, in hard anozed black finish... but beggars can't be choosers! I'm just happy to have gotten one of these beautiful little lights. :eek:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice...

Brighter, smaller, and cheaper to operate than a L5.

How does it compare to the ML1 seoul?

Thanks for the beamshots!

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, Impressive.

Are you going to start making MMS (milky Micra Soul)? :grin2:
Only if there were more of these badboys.

All I can say Is that you did a hell of a job!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice Milky.

If anybody is interested Moteng.com still lists the Longbow Eco (2AA) light in HA nat as in stock.
EDIT:
It seems pocketlights.com has the full line.

Beatiful light, but I prefer my HDS;)

PS! Thanks for the tips on first run HDS modding Milky:D

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
NoFair said:
Very nice Milky.

If anybody is interested Moteng.com still lists the Longbow Eco (2AA) light in HA nat as in stock.
EDIT:
It seems pocketlights.com has the full line.

Beatiful light, but I prefer my HDS;)

PS! Thanks for the tips on first run HDS modding Milky:D

Thanks NF, appreciate it! :eek:

One note: I tried to order a Longbow Micra from Pocketlights.com a couple weeks ago and although the order went through, afterward I received an email telling me the Longbow was discontinued. Not sure why they still have it on their website, but they seem to be out of stock on them. :(

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan C said:
Nice. I like Longbow's too. I carry one at work with the 2xAA body. It has a custom made insert...

Dan, from you I would expect nothing less! :)

Dan C said:
I've never seen a clickie tailcap, how do they feel?

The clicky tailcap feels okay... the rubber used on the boot is a little thicker than most so it takes more of a press to click the light on and off... but I don't find it offensive in any way.

The internal construction is a little unusual... the clicky tail is actually hollow, and the boot slides all the way down for a friction fit to achieve weatherproofing... then there's a Kroll clicky with no boot, fitted into an aluminum sleeve that slides into the tailcap. Curiously, there's no retaining ring of any sort, meaning one can slide the whole switch insert inward if the tailcap is loosened, so there's no real lockout to the switch... and the fact that the guts slide freely makes me wonder just how waterproof the assembly really is. I might install a threaded ring to hold the goods in place at some point down the road.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a Longbow Micra brand new from our very own Lightedge. Mine is just like Scott's HA III with the clicky tailcap.

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
depusm12 said:
I got a Longbow Micra brand new from our very own Lightedge. Mine is just like Scott's HA III with the clicky tailcap.

Congrats Depusm! :D Let me know if you need to juice it up a little. :naughty: