Amilite Neo T5 or MK.IIX

iceman

Newly Enlightened
I'm contemplating which one to consider between the two. The Jetbeam is around ~$10 cheaper but it got a lot of funtions-strobe etc. while the T5 only has a low and HI mode, and the price is around $80. Both lights are also Type III anodized, so my questions is which one should I get?

Is the Amilite more of a reputable maker/company? why is it a few dollars expensive if it only has two modes?

Thanks.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it's hard to say since the Amilite has yet to be released. It does however look VERY VERY promising! The output on the Amilite looks to be nothing short of amazing, while the Jetbeam isn't even the brightest single AA light (the L1DCE gets that award).

I suggest you wait a few weeks until the reviews of the Amilite are out so you know the runtime and output.

Amilite is very reputable. They released a light last year called the T3 which got very good reviews from members and Flashlightreviews.com as well. I'm not sure why it is more expensive, maybe because it is made in Korea (I think) instead of Hong Kong.

iceman said:
I'm contemplating which one to consider between the two. The Jetbeam is around ~$10 cheaper but it got a lot of funtions-strobe etc. while the T5 only has a low and HI mode, and the price is around $80. Both lights are also Type III anodized, so my questions is which one should I get?

Is the Amilite more of a reputable maker/company? why is it a few dollars expensive if it only has two modes?

Thanks.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on your needs, if it isn't a problem for you to use cr123 I would definitely go for the Amilite, looks very promising, and it's predecessor got raving reviews. And the jetbeams UI seems to be a bit nightmarish...
I wouldnt say that the extra features is a good thing, I would prefer the Amilites simpler UI. But your mileage might vary.

iceman

Newly Enlightened
I read the reviews on the T3 and they got 5 stars from flashlighreviews.com so I think thats a good start. Has anyone here have the T5 yet or both lights to compare?

Calina

Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
Well it's hard to say since the Amilite has yet to be released. It does however look VERY VERY promising! The output on the Amilite looks to be nothing short of amazing, while the Jetbeam isn't even the brightest single AA light (the L1DCE gets that award).

I suggest you wait a few weeks until the reviews of the Amilite are out so you know the runtime and output.

Amilite is very reputable. They released a light last year called the T3 which got very good reviews from members and Flashlightreviews.com as well. I'm not sure why it is more expensive, maybe because it is made in Korea (I think) instead of Hong Kong.

There is more to flashlight than just brightness.

It is not difficult to make a flashlight brighter than the previous one. It is more of a challenge to do it with good runtime and heat management.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
the mk2x on 14500s is rediculously bright. puts my u2 to shame. dont know if amilite will be able to best its output, but we'll see. the jetbeams ui is a little annoying, but the functions are great. and its output on 14500s makes it worth it.

whc

Enlightened
iceman said:
What's the ui stands for again?
UI = User Interface

I would personally go for the AmiLita, I have one on order, and am vaiting very patient for it to be shipped :). Don't like the UI on the Jetbeam, too many functions I think, but it should be very bright on 14500 Li-Ion. Like the design of the AmiLite T5 best too, but that is a matter of taste.

iceman

Newly Enlightened
Ok, Thanks for the terminology. Thats what I was thinking too that it depends on the user if they want a lot of twist or pushing a button on their lights. I think I like the strobe function in a light due to the "tactical use" of it.

wacomme

Newly Enlightened
cheapo said:
the mk2x on 14500s is rediculously bright. puts my u2 to shame. dont know if amilite will be able to best its output, but we'll see. the jetbeams ui is a little annoying, but the functions are great. and its output on 14500s makes it worth it.

Where's a good place (and cheap) to buy 14500's? Thanks.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize that, but the MK-IIX has alot going against it such as lack of brightness, a TERRIBLE UI, and it is also PWM. The L1DCE is brighter on high and is also fully regulated so you will get a brighter light for longer time. Hard to beat that.

Calina said:
There is more to flashlight than just brightness.

It is not difficult to make a flashlight brighter than the previous one. It is more of a challenge to do it with good runtime and heat management.

Honestly you will NEVER be able to use the strobe on these AA lights as tactical. For starters you need to go through at least one mode before it, and that is on the L1DCE. I'm not even sure how many modes you need to go through before you get to strobe on the MK-IIX. I do think that the Strobe is very noticable (especially on my Jetbeam C-LE), but I rarely see this being all that useful.

iceman said:
Ok, Thanks for the terminology. Thats what I was thinking too that it depends on the user if they want a lot of twist or pushing a button on their lights. I think I like the strobe function in a light due to the "tactical use" of it.

I'm not here to bash on the MK-IIX (I really like my C-LE) but it really isn't the cream of the crop in terms of new Cree based AA lights. The L1DCE is superior in terms of being usable with its sensable UI.
You might also want to check out the Lumapower M3 which is going to be released shortly. It has lots of different features that seperate it from the other AA cree lights.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer said:
I realize that, but the MK-IIX has alot going against it such as lack of brightness, a TERRIBLE UI, and it is also PWM. The L1DCE is brighter on high and is also fully regulated so you will get a brighter light for longer time. Hard to beat that.

no. thats wrong. Lack of brightness! its probably brighter than the amilite with 14500s (though i cant say)... i'd say about 130 lumens coming from the front end. kills my u2. VERY BRIGHT.

UI is not terrible. its ok

pwm isnt THE LEAST BIT noticable. In fact, if i didnt hear it somewhere, i wouldnt even know it uses pwm.

jetbeam's quality is also of the upmost, and it will put fenix to shame in almost all categories exept ui. on 14500s, this light is really bright.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
wacomme said:
Where's a good place (and cheap) to buy 14500's? Thanks.

THE place to get 14500s is e-lectronics.net

5.50 per protected 14500.

havand

Enlightened
wacomme said:
Can the 14650's also be used in lieu of the 14500's?

What? a 14650 is 15mm longer than a 14500. If you'r referring to the jetbeam, there is no way it'll fit.

14=14mm diameter
50=50mm long.

wacomme

Newly Enlightened
havand,

Thank you very much for this info. I'm trying to learn about these new type of batteries.

I suppose one needs a special Li-ion charger to charge 14500 batteries, correct?

Is the main difference between the 14500 batteries and regular rechargeable AA batteries (NiMH) is the voltage, and thus the brightness of the flashlight?

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wacomme,

small tip: When you are viewing these batteries that are identified with numbers, always remember that the fifth digit isn't actually a number at all, it simply means that the cell is cylindrical

So, an 18650 is

18mm wide
65mm long
0 round

CFU

havand

Enlightened
wacomme said:
havand,

Thank you very much for this info. I'm trying to learn about these new type of batteries.

I suppose one needs a special Li-ion charger to charge 14500 batteries, correct?

Is the main difference between the 14500 batteries and regular rechargeable AA batteries (NiMH) is the voltage, and thus the brightness of the flashlight?

There are a lot of different charges. Some use DSD, some use more expensive ones. My dsd powersupply blew so right now i'm charging mine with a nano and some clips :)

AC_Doctor

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved my Amilite Neo T5 and am very impressed. The low-high-off clickie is a little hard to get used to, since I use a Surefire L4 daily, but the high beam is almost just a bright and seems to have nice spill and a super-nice smooth beam (for all you white wall hunters).

AC