Deal Ex MTE Seoul light mod

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my MTE from Deal Extreme and noted that it ran a bit hot with 2 rcr123a Batteries. I've had some troubles already with this set up so decided to mod the light to use a 17650 as per other threads. I Took out the led engine and removed the (2) 10 ohm resistors-:in parallel-gave 5 ohms. I replaced it with a .83 ohm 2 watt that I found at a local Electronics store. I wanted a 1 watt- but the 2 watt is good- just bigger. The light is now set up to run a 3.7 volt 17650 battery. After swapping, the MTE now draws about 650 ma on high..just gets slightly warm...and has a low that is perfect for indoors. The light is still putting out a good 100 Lumens---it's a better light with the 17650 battery. Now it has a long runtime on high and a really long runtime on low.

I like the construction of this light- it is easy to take apart and swap resistors or Led's if you want. I did notice that the light engine is not held down tight by the threaded in ring above the engine....so I got 2 fiber washers from a hardware store and put them in to push down on the light engine ( heat sink). My light had been flickering a bit. Seems ok now.

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that's nice about it is that you have quite a bit of play to adjust the head on that light without interrupting the seal (there are 2 O-rings) so it's possible to have somewhat adjustable focus.

I'm planning on doing the resistor mod, but unfortauntely I have to wait to order in some thermal grease and resistors, and don't feel like paying a fortune over the counter. I don't have the right resistors on hand.