Landlord/tenant question

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My girlfriend and family rented a house a couple of months ago. Twice now, the landlord has just walked right in without giving prior knowledge or if I am to gather right, without even knocking to I guess bring some items to the basement. What are the laws governing this? This is in the state of Massachusetts. Can she legally change the locks or add a chain lock? The house prior belonged to his now deceased parents, maybe he thinks he can do this. In order to hopefully not make a huge issue out of this, I suggested that as a first step she call him and ask to give prior knowledge before coming over but was wondering legally what were her rights.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what ya should do is hide ya car and one day dress up in a blue dress with a wig on.have beard . and some boots on and when he enters say ive been waiting for ya then apply some lip stick and slip in a beegees 8track and then start danceing around the place.and smileing at him i promise he will always kncok for now on

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in Texas, I think there is a requirement that one of the door locks be operable from the inside only so that this can't happen.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHECK THE LEASE--it should have clauses/provisions that specifically address 1) the landlord's right of entry, 2) the rules regarding changing of locks and/or installing other "fixtures."

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know about the law...what I do know is that this guy needs to learn some common decency and respect.

You don't just let yourself into a womans house and stroll through when you please...she could be getting undressed, out of the shower or anything. What an idiot!
icon8.gif

For your part, you should go round and install a bolt or something. It won't deny this guy access to the house unless your woman is at home...in which case he can knock on her door.

CFU

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33 said:
what ya should do is hide ya car and one day dress up in a blue dress with a wig on.have beard . and some boots on and when he enters say ive been waiting for ya then apply some lip stick and slip in a beegees 8track and then start danceing around the place.and smileing at him i promise he will always kncok for now on

Hahahahahahahaha! I'm still cracking up over this one, Raggie!

Seriously - I'm not a lawer, and it's been awhile since I've had tenants, and this is for Oregon, but I'm fairly certain that a landlord must give 24 hours written notice before entering, unless there's an obvious emergency. Smoke or water pouring out of the dwelling, etc. A tenant must also give reasonable access to a landlord for maintenence and repairs. I'd confront the landlord with the rental agreement and let her know that such things won't be tolerated. Good luck.

:buddies:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie keeps on doin' it.

Seriously, depends on the locality. All states (even some subordinate jurisdictions) have specific laws regarding tenant/landlord relationships and liabilities. Generally, these details are specifically spelled out in the lease and all parties are bound by that. If you are on a verbal rental agreement (a dumb thing to do) it would be what a court would decide and that's always based on "he said/I said". The landlord will generally win.

I use the standard Texas Association Of Realtors lease (I'm a licensed broker) which generally gives the landlord the right to enter at "reasonable" times. Notice is not required. If the tenant changes a lock, they must furnish the landlord a key.

Personally, I rarely enter a rented property unless there is good reason to do so. I try to notify the tenant at least 24 hours in advance and will try to accomodate the tenants schedule if I can. If it's an emergency or I can't contact a tenant, I'll knock loudly several times and shout a greeting as I go in the door. If I have to go in without the tenant present, I'll have someone accompany me. I'll also do that if the tenant is a lone female that is not a long time tenant that I know fairly well.

All real estate law is fairly complex and lease law can be very confusing (the lease I use is 14 pages), so consulting an attorney familiar with your state and local laws would be very wise. Most lawyers will give you a quick phone consultation with little or no charge.

Do not pay any attention to your best friends 2nd cousins experience or your bartenders real estate knowledge. And remember, the advice you get on the internet, including mine, is worth what you pay for it.

BTW - Don Shock is correct about the blind deadbolts in Texas. That stems from a tragic incident in my city when keys were stolen from the office of an apartment complex.

Also, I really dislike the term "landlord", but that's what we're stuck with.

Last edited:

nethiker

Enlightened
Someone should let the guy know that it's not very safe to walk into someone else's home unannounced. Maybe it's o.k. in Mass., but definately not in Montana.

02Scuba

Banned
What state are you in. The varies from state to state and within the state itself. I am licensed to practice law in Calitfornia. If you do not live in California I would not feel comfortable giving you advcice.