Eastward YJ U2-style Cree reviewed

x2x3x2

Banned
Just did a review of the U2-style light, and also a quick comparison wtih the UltraFire C2.

Check it out at www.lightreviews.info

Will updated with runtimes at a later date.

protein_man

Newly Enlightened
Excellent little review you have there of the u2 style cree light! I own the light and I feel exactly the same way about it as you - great work. About the only thing missing from the review is comparative beamshots against other popular lights.

All in all great work keep it up! Congrads!

x2x3x2

Banned
Thanks guys, also i just added an extra section where u can compare beamshots side by side with up to 4 lights :)

Remember, only control shots can be relatively compared to each other for intensity and tint.

Hope its useful.

Last edited:

KnOeFz

Enlightened
Just a minor deatail that caught my eye... I don't know where you bought yours but the cost sais $31,99 on your website. Afaik it's currently $21,04 without shipping (used to be 26.95 with 'free' shipping) on deal extreme. :grin2:

LightScene

Enlightened
Thanks for the review of the U2-style Cree. It sort of stands alone in the category of single 18650 with a Cree. And from your description it seems like a good buy.
Nice pictures.

x2x3x2

Banned
Yup, its definitely a good buy.

With its high/low mode, tough body, almost perfect white tint (on high anyway). Almost perfect if it wasn't for the misaligned reflector :p really a waste, cos almost half the hots spot is darker.

I can live with the tough twitch in exchange for the ability to tail stand. It sREALLY lights up a room in say a black out situation or something. Very nice :)

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2,

thanks for the new review - and the addition of the compare function to the website is really useful! Those control shots are awesome.

One thing about the Eastward, I like a flashlight to be able to use both primary and rechargeable batteries, just in case - even if most of the time I use rechargeables.
By the way - do I understand correctly that the "U2-style" in fact does not mean anything on U2-functionality? (ie, no variable light output, they just have the ring as a kind of a cosmetic add on)?

x2x3x2

Banned
Flashy,

Yup u are correct, its only has the body styled from the U2. The ring is just for show and is not functional. The 2-stage is just by the clicky button.

Regarding the battery, it's only advertised as 18650 compatible. They do not advise on using 2x 3v CR123 however i tried it with primaries and works ok, don't know about long term effect tho. Definitely DO NOT used 2x 3.7V R123 tho, it will burn the LED in a flash :p

moon lander

Enlightened
Thanks for the review, the photos are great. Did you get the updated reflector version that dx is selling now? the description mentions problems that were solved in an update.

also, this light supplies 1200ma to the led, which is (i think) alot more than most other lights. so is it alot brighter than most other lights that usually drive at 750ma on high mode? i think the cool thing about this light is that it drives the led right to the limit. thanks again.

x2x3x2

Banned
Yup, the one i recieved is with the upgraded reflector, i ordered it some time after it was updated. Sometime around Feb 12.

Even tho this light is driven at the limits of 1.2A, i tried doing a ceiling bounce test against the UltraFire C2 which is advertised at drawing 600mA. They both give about the same output, couldnt tell the difference with my bare eyes.

I have the other U2-style from kaidomain.com on order, it looks a little different. Will post another review of that version when i recieve it.

Last edited:

LoneRebel

Enlightened
Great review. I'm still waiting my eastward yj u2(Ordered it on February 6th) :(. They didn't bother updating that they didn't ship the flashlight until a couple days ago and then listed it as waiting for the manufacturer...Grrr.

I did receive the ssc p4 light with the hex head and that puppy is awesome. Amazing throw.

Smoken Joe

Newly Enlightened
Very nice review! Are you going to continuw with these kinds of reviews if so we need to get you a light meter. Forgive me if I did not see the numbers posted.

x2x3x2

Banned
Hoya smoken, happy to hear u like the review :)

Yup ill be continueing the reviews. Hopefully come out with a better design site cos most ppl seems to not like frames pages.

I already have some output measurement and runtime equipment on order. Still waiting for them to arrive :p

protein_man

Newly Enlightened
I measured 1200mA at the battery however I dought the led is seeing the full 1200mA. It's a ripper of a torch and its super birght, but it just doesnt seem that bright. It's still the brightest light I own second to my modded elly!

x2x3x2

Banned
Just saw that DX and Kaidomain both have the UltraFire C2 at $22.66, that's a pretty great deal :)

I would personally got for the C2 actually, furthermore now that it's available cheaper. Im thinkin of getting another! LOL!

moon lander

Enlightened
protein_man said:
I measured 1200mA at the battery however I dought the led is seeing the full 1200mA. It's a ripper of a torch and its super birght, but it just doesnt seem that bright. It's still the brightest light I own second to my modded elly!

Your modded elly is brighter? wow. is your elly using lithium or AA and is it direct driving or with the driver? thats a bright mod!

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a minor deatail that caught my eye... I don't know where you bought yours but the cost sais $31,99 on your website. Afaik it's currently $21,04 without shipping (used to be 26.95 with 'free' shipping) on deal extreme.
That's somewhat funny -- whenever something is no longer free shipping, the nominal price is all of a sudden lowered so that the price plus shipping is the same as before :D

Just saw that DX and Kaidomain both have the UltraFire C2 at $22.66, that's a pretty great deal :)

I would personally got for the C2 actually, furthermore now that it's available cheaper. Im thinkin of getting another! LOL!
We ordered a couple of these, some batteries, and some chargers that take 12V input to have these lights in the cars. They are now on the way -- fantastic deal, and the fact that it can take different battery types is nice (we're considering buying some primary CR123s to keep in case of emergency, thanks to long shelf life, and these would run on those even if the rechargeables weren't charged up)

Last edited: