Initial impressions of Fenix L0D CE and P1D CE.

FNG

Enlightened
Got the L0D CE two weeks ago. Out of the box I put in a lithium cell and was very surprised on how much light it put out! Really easy to turn, much more so than the original Arc AAA because the head is maybe 3x longer so you don't have to put much power into it. Finish is very smooth and feels very nice on the hands but doesn't look like it will hold well. Ive already got a bunch of small nicks around the edges. The notch on the bottom where you can use it in candle mode is a great idea but I'm using a clip that's a little larger than the supplied lobster style and it cant stand up.

Last week I started having problems with it flickering and thought the battery was dead so I threw away the lithium cell and put in a fresh regular cell and problem seemed to go away. Later that night the problem came back and people said I needed to scrape off some epoxy inside the head because it wasn't making good contact with the body. I did it with a push pin and the light has been working perfectly ever since. All 5 modes work well but like other people, id rather have a two output mode with just the low and high with the same lumen ratings. If Fenix still feels the need to keep strobe and SOS, at least make it a separate circuit like the L1D or L2D where you need to twist the head to get to it. This way you wouldn't have to go through everything just to reset the light level, which is what Ive done numerous times.

All in all, great product that could use more refinement. Will probably carry this for another 5 years unless they (fenix or other) comes out with something without so many modes.

Received the P1D CE when I got home from work and body had the same nice finish. Turning the head was considerably harder. The crosshatches are smoother and shorter than the ones on the L0D CE, 8mm vs 9mm. Also because it's touching the o-ring much more. Not sure if will improve waterproofness but you probably couldnt turn it one handed if it was wet. I read that some other people said that when they received the light it felt as if there was some machining metal left on the threads. Mine arrived like that with lube being dark and dirty. Ill have to clean everything and lube it up again.

Didnt compare light output other lights but it's pretty bright. There was a difference between medium and high but not that noticable shining it indoors and up at the ceiling. The hotspot is tighter than the L0D CE and rings are there when shining on an empty wall but not noticeable in real use. I'd rate the 5 modes on this light worse than the other because the head is that much harder to turn. I have to push down with my thumb and fore finger because the knurling doesnt help. It's like cutting bread with a serrated knife vs using a sharp straight edged one. You could do it with either but you have to put more effort using the straight edged.

Im not gonna give this light up anytime soon but I probably wouldnt recommend it to anyone else for $70. Maybe if it was $10-$15 cheaper with issues fixed.

Cheers for Fenix for shipping next day after I placed the orders. Thought it would take less than 5 days from Atlanta to Kansas City, even with First Class mail. I was checking the mail everyday this week as soon as I got home. Will try and take some pictures this weekend.

Last edited: