Flood Monster Needed

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hey Everyone,

Any recommendations for a little flood monster? Something in around 2X123a size body, doesn't have to be super bright--run time is more important. Needs lots of flood, and just a little throw, with a large hotspot. Think "somewhat conservatively priced." :grin2:

Silversurfer

Enlightened
Nemul recently installed THC3 LEDs in my X5T gen 3.

Brighter and more flood than stock.

Last edited:

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thanks everyone. What are the differnces between X5 generations (since I;ve seen it mentioned a few times), and how can you tell which is which?

The X5 seems like a pretty good choice, esp. with the mod that Silversurfer mentioned. I forgot to mention above though, that I would prefer it to be rechargeable. It's for my dad, and I know he's not going to want to stock up on 123as. Thanks for all your help!

luchs

Newly Enlightened
what about the huntlight FT01-cree with a surefire beamshaper. (fits on my one). you can also run it with 18500 batteries!!!
a crazy flashlight!!
i use the beamshaper (i got the tip here from the CPF) with my G3 because i like the yellow light - and it's great!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thanks luchs. Sounds like a good idea. How much more expensive is the FT-01 with the cree? That may work :grin2: Keep the ideas coming--I appreciate it!

luchs said:
what about the huntlight FT01-cree with a surefire beamshaper. (fits on me one). you can also run it with 18500 batteries!!!
a crazy flashlight!!
i use the beamshaper (i got the tip here from the CPF) with my G3 because i like the yellow light - and it's great!!!!!!!!!

redledz

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps a nuwai TM-301X-5 would be useful. I believe it can run on Pila rechargeable cells also, but depending on the amount of use, it appears to have really good runtime for just primary cells.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably the best I can think of is a HDS EDC. You might be able to pick up a used one now. Or wait till the Novatac lights come out. You can get a low-loss mild and strong diffuser lens for them, but stock they have a near perfect all around usable beam. They work very well on rechargables as well as primary CR123s.

In the cheaper category I also use a UKE 2L with the eLED module with a LiIon 17670. Very short, a bit fat. Not very bright but has a very very wide spill.

I would generally caution against multi cell Li & LiIons for non-flashoholics. Explosion hazard and all that.

The only light I can think of that was purpose designed for flood was the CR2 Ion

Last edited:

Silversurfer

Enlightened
Secure a little piece of Glad Press'n Seal to the Fenix L2D-CE.

The ring monster turns into a flood monster.

Works like magic.

Plus your Dad probably has extra AA batteries.

Last edited:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Accept no substitute - you want a Surefire L2.

It will give you all the flood you want, and 2 levels so you can have runtime as well if you don't need the brightness. The brightness is there... Ohhh is it ever there... if you need it though!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X5 is a great flood light, plenty bright enough for any normal use, and long runtimes. It is perhaps the best of this type out there, in my opinion. Yes, some consider it old technology, which it is with its 5 led cluster, but it works, which is why it is STILL one of the most popular floodies out there.

An added bonus is the size/form factor, its straight body with no belled head makes it perfect to slip into a hip pocket and almost forget it is there.

EV_007

Enlightened
I 2nd the SureFire L2 as a floody LED.

In the incan camp the 9P P91 LA is very floody and bright too. And it throws pretty well as well.

Welding Rod

Newly Enlightened
I have 5 Surefires plus an L4... the L4 has very good flood and good run time. I wish I could get better flood out of some of the others.