How much do we need?

recercare

Enlightened
How many lm do we need for different applications? Here are my views:

Walking the the mountains: 5W or about 65 lm
Searching for people in the mountains: ?
Stunning other people: ?
Looking for a lost car key somewhere between your garage and front door: ?
Find something in the attic: ?

Suggest Lumen or W needed to make these tasks COMFORTABLE, not just possible.
wink.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Mine are in lumen

Walking the the mountains: 20-30
Searching for people in the mountains: 60+ depending on distance, preferable around 200 if walking.
Stunning other people: 500???
Looking for a lost car key somewhere between your garage and front door: 20-30
Find something in the attic: 20-30

Size15's

Flashaholic
Walking the the mountains: Why would I be in the mountains at night? Well I suppose I'd have the M6 w/MN20, and the 10X.

Searching for people in the mountains: I'd have one of those Helocopters with Thermal camera called in. I'd be carrying the M6 and 10X with HOLAs in both.

Stunning other people: I'm naturally stunning! Why would I need to use a flashlight?!
rolleyes.gif

Looking for a lost car key somewhere between your garage and front door: I havea garage?!
confused.gif
If the floods (security lights mounted high on house to illuminate gardens) weren't working, I'd use the 10X or 9N since they're on charge by the door.

Find something in the attic:
I'd turn the lights on. Assuming that the lights weren't working, I'd use the E2e that I always have on me. If I was going up to the loft specifically to find something in the dark, I'd use the 8NX since that's the closest rechargeable to the loft.

Sorry. I'm in a playful mood.
From my answers, it could be said I like to use a lot of light.
I figure that why try to get by with just enough when I have such awesome illumination to choose from.

Al
tongue.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Brock : Walking the the mountains: 20-30 Looking for a lost car key somewhere between your garage and front door: 20-30
Find something in the attic: 20-30 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like someone is in need of a MN02 25 lumen lamp.
grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't suggest lumens or watts, but I'll suggest light voltages based on my experience:

Walking the the mountains: 6v incandescent, although at night in the mountains I would much rather be in my tent!

Searching for people in the mountains: Hand held 12v. spot light or something similar

Stunning other people: Depends on conditions, ambient light, and suprise, 2-3 cell Surefires (6v - 9v incandescent) should generally do the trick if you're looking to get away from a single opponent in near dark conditions and you can run like heck. More effective with the HOLA modules.

Looking for a lost car key somewhere between your garage and front door: depends on ambient light. In darkness 1-4 LED light - Arc, LW 2000, with twilight type ambient light, 3v incandescent should be plenty.

Find something in the attic: Anything from a 3 to 6 volt incandescent - 2-D, 3-D, 4-D mag or E2, although I can navigate around in my attic very nicely with a Luxeon Star driven at only 3v, so a larger LED light like a LW 3000 or 4000 would probably do nicely as well.