HDS Noob Beamshots!!! Need your Input!

iceman

Newly Enlightened
I got three beamshots here from medium, low and high modes. I have a b42xr and B60. Both have new batteries on it. I taped the lights to ensure that their distance would be accurate every shot. The camera was also set up to stay in the same position for all shots. Well, I need help in determining which one is brighter, I'm having a hard time to really tell and all I can see is a very small difference in brightness. I can't tell you which one is the B60, prolly its obvious in your eyes, but to a noob like me, this is my first attempt in comparing beamshots, so please be gentle.
Just tell me in every comparison which one is brighter, the one on the left or the one in the right. Hope this is clear.
The pics:

Medium mode:
HDSDuel001Small.jpg

Low mode:
HDSDuel002Small.jpg

High Mode:
HDSDuel003Small.jpg

Thanks in advance for all your input!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one on the left is the B60. Keep in mind that the difference between 42 and 60 lumens isn't all that great and also that the HDS 42 series was tested to be over 42 lumens while the 60 series was tested to be quite a bit less on all models tested. Only one of them was even near the 60 lumen range. With this said you could have a B42 that puts out 45 lumens and your B60 might only put out 54. You will hardly be able to tell any difference between them.

greenLED

Flashaholic
iceman said:
Just tell me in every comparison which one is brighter, the one on the left or the one in the right.
Skip the wall shots (camera sensors can get overloaded, white balance may be off, etc.) and do a "ceiling bounce test". Just point your lights to the ceiling over your head and activate them alternatively. Look around the room as you do this, and it'll be much easier to pick which one is the brightest. This sort of integrates total output in a more sensible way and your eyes are not fooled by beam patterns.

Hope that helps.

iceman

Newly Enlightened
I just installed a cloudy lens to both of em (diffuser is it?) What is the purpose of these cloudy lens anyway?

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
iceman said:
I just installed a cloudy lens to both of em (diffuser is it?) What is the purpose of these cloudy lens anyway?

It smoothes out the beam...makes the transition from the hotspot to corona smoother and also makes the hotspot larger...cuts down on the throw though.

If I wanted a diffuser I'd go for a removable one that goes on the bezel (a HDS one or a SureFire F04 beamshaper).

These diffusers/beamshapers are great for close up work...cuts down on light being reflected back into your eyes.

CFU

iceman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for this good info, I like the diffuser coz like what you've said, the light doesnt bounce back at ya.