Really cheap UV light, any ideas?

gottaloveit?

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

Does anyone know of a place/store in arizona that would sell a cheap UV flashlight? I was looking at some of the stuff that you can take pictures of with a UV light at night, and how they come out, pretty interesting. I will be down for a trip to the Tucson/Pheonix area for about 10 days and just looking for something cheap to use while there.

Thanks

Nebula

Enlightened
Gotta - Lighthound has several for less than $15.00. I think that the 3xAAA that I bought was something like $9.99. That cheap enough for you? Good luck. KK

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound ships real quick! you might get it in 2-3 days.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, too, have been kind of thinking about getting a UV light, but not for critters. I was thinking I'd be able to give my Transitions lenses a short blast to darken them quickly if I know I'm about to go into bright sunlight.

So what do you think: Lighthound's AAA keychain UV light, or the X1 UV light?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, any thoughts on those two? Is the cheapie keychain one any good, or should I just go for the Inova?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
gottaloveit? said:
Hello all,

Does anyone know of a place/store in arizona that would sell a cheap UV flashlight? I was looking at some of the stuff that you can take pictures of with a UV light at night, and how they come out, pretty interesting. I will be down for a trip to the Tucson/Pheonix area for about 10 days and just looking for something cheap to use while there.

Thanks

If you're going to Arizona, I suggest spending a little more and getting a fluorescent-based shortwave UVC light like the UVG-4. You'll find some neat surprises when you look at some of the rocks on the ground under UVC that a regular longwave UVA lamp won't reveal at all. :)

Last edited:

gottaloveit?

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, just want to say THANKS ALOT!!! all I wanted was a simple UV light, how come I walked out of the online lighthounds store spending more than $70.00? The UV light was only $12.00!!!!:huh2:

I guess thats what happens when you start looking at stuff online?:awman:

Seriously though, thanks for the ideas. I "borrowed" one of those mini UV lamps we had at work, just hope the crime guys don't need it:whistle: , so that will go good with the UV light that I bought.

Just out of curiosity, what wavelength is needed to make luminol work properly?
[font=Arial Black,Helvetica Bold,Charcoal,Sans-serif,sans-serif][size=+2][/size][/font]

BB62

Newly Enlightened
How does one take pictures of things illuminated by UV light?

BB62

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The light returned from the fluorescing object will be a combination of visible light and UV. If your camera accepts external filters, pick up a UV filter to attenuate those wavelengths. Focus on the object under normal light, then extinguish the light (if possible) and turn on the UV without changing the focal length.