Great replacement for Weatherbug - Free!

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
My new interest in weather monitoring is sort of ironic, since we really don't have much in So Cal.

Anyway, found this specacular freeware proggie for consolidated local forecasts, maps, etc. It is one of the complete and cleanest interfaces I have seen. By far, the best freeware app I have ever used:

http://www.singerscreations.com/AboutWeatherWatcher.asp

I'm also using a trial of Swift wx (www.swiftwx.com) for detailed doppler monitoring. Not freeware, but great program as well.

Empath

Flashaholic
I endorse Singer Creations' Weather Watcher myself. As a cautionary note though, install the "Full Setup" instead of the "Bundle". The Bundle package contains adware, but the Full Setup doesn't.

Weather Watcher doesn't have the local and individual station features of Weatherbug, but it does offer a lot for free. Weatherbug would be fantastic, if it didn't compromise your system and if it wasn't so infected.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Any comparisons/opinions of Singer Creations vs. Forecastfox?

I just downloaded Singer Creations...I like that it's always in my tray. With Forecastfox of course one needs to be browsing with Firefox for it to be visible. Forecastfox is uses AccuWeather.com while Singer Creations uses Weather.com...thoughts?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman, I've used both and like singer's better, if only because my wife closes the browser window and I can't see it at a quick glance..

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
very cool, it looks like a good replacement for weatherbug. i amgoing to give it a try

ken

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Bitslammer. I keep a desktop icon for the local NWS on my desktop. That local page has realtime radar, local data and all pertinent warnings. Very easy links to any other type of weather info that you need.. No popups, adware, etc.

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
i never see my desktop, it is generally 3 or four layers down and my home page is google! :) i removed weatherbug but hopefully thsi will not have spyware. the thing i look at most is the current outside temp and this puts it on my tray, very visible. btw it is now 31f outside. :)

ken

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a related note:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/28/D8NIPUKG1.html

ATLANTA (AP) -- Something seems to be missing from online weather maps.

They show major highways and town names. But have you ever seen one get detailed enough to show neighborhoods and street names and, by extension, truly localized weather?

The Weather Channel is unveiling a product Monday that could change that.

The Atlanta-based cable channel has partnered with Microsoft Corp. to offer detailed road maps combined with satellite imagery. The result is an interactive Web map that lets users zoom in to get a localized snapshot of current weather. That is, to see how it's affecting their neighborhood _ not just the city as a whole.

The interactive map sits on the channel's online site, http://www.weather.com . It has a sliding bar that controls the view of the weather, along with tools that let users pan around the map.

The Weather Channel hopes it can draw more eyeballs to its site and get them to stay longer. The site already logs about 35 million users each month and millions more during weather disasters.

The company will next start mapping out points of interest, such as golf courses, ski resorts and parks. And eventually, it hopes the program can show a localized weather forecast for the hours and days ahead.

Says Todd Richards, editorial director of the Web site: "We're scratching the surface."

-----------

cheers

db

Newly Enlightened
Weatherpulse from TropicDesigns is a decent desktop weather application.
http://www.tropicdesigns.net/weatherpulse.php

A benefit of the stuff that runs in the tray is notification of severe weather.

I like the weatherunderground.com site, for local weather.
The subscription removes ads, and is cheap.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Right now I'm evaluating the ones that Empath & db posted. I'll pick one over the other sooner or later!

:thanks:

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I downloaded Weather Watcher a few days ago to compare to Weatherbug. The UI on WW is much better for me and also runs a lot "smoother" on my system. I seldom ran Weatherbug longer than needed because of the issues mentioned above.

Thanks to those that recommended it! :thumbsup: