fenix l2d ce rating

what do you think of the l2d ce?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nitrolight

Newly Enlightened
If you must give the l2d ce a rating out of 10 what will you give it?I am looking for a 100-150 lumen light with a loooong battery life -what light would you guys recommend?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recently got mine so I won't give it a number rating just yet, but I can tell you my first impressions.

Turbo looks like 100 lumens, at best. My Huntlight FT-01XSE P4 is 150L, and it's a very noticable difference. The Huntlight's beam is a lot better, too, with a single ring shadow as opposed to the Fenix's slightly ringy/splotchy output. Of course, the L2D-CE has a great UI, and is slimmer, easier to feed, current regulated, and only half the price.

It's a great light, but it might not be bright enough for you.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine and I gave it an 8 out of 10.
Great UI with multiple levels or high/low by twisting the bezel makes it simple. Extraordinary output from 2AA cells, waterproof, can take a beating and a clickie on the end.
The downsides are the rings in the beam. Mine is used outside so it is not an issue in my use. The price of $52.25 shipped across the pond so it is a very good deal.
Improvements? Well, the rings can be smoothed out and a clip option would be great. Maybe a larger head option to add throw would be good although not really part of the lights design.

dirobesh

Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
Turbo looks like 100 lumens, at best. My Huntlight FT-01XSE P4 is 150L, and it's a very noticable difference.
It's a great light, but it might not be bright enough for you.

Agreed, my propoly lux simply blows it out of the water, even on turbo, using freshly charged NiMh batteries. I know the propoly is a throw light, and the L2D is more of a flood, but the propoly IS a 1watt luxeon after all.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 said:
...the Fenix's slightly ringy/splotchy output...
I'll give it a 7 for this exact reason. I hunt white walls, and I'm proud of it. I've got plenty of other "premium lights" with very nice beams. Why can't the Fenix have it too? The L1P looked great. The L1D-CE is not as good.

If they had put in an orange peel reflector, I'd probably give it a 9.

Skibane

Enlightened
When you also factor in the excellent light output regulation (particularly with rechargeables or Lithium primary cells), the build quality (solid switch feel, HA-III finish, etc.), and the wide selection of modes (with a decent user interface to boot!), it's just about unbeatable for the money...which is why I voted "unbeatable", BTW! :D

coppertrail

Enlightened
I have the L2D CE and a Huntlight FTX01SE CREE. The huntlight beam blows the L2D CE away, but I carry my L2D more often than the Huntlight because of the form factor (fits nicely in my coat pocket).

The FTX01SE is very ringy, but HL released a textured reflector which should eliminate, or greatly reduce, the ring. We're having problems with the new reflectors as they modified the FTX01SE, and the textured reflector doesn't fit the first run properly. HL is working with the merchant and one of the members here @ CPF to create a reflector for the first run lights. I am looking forward to the textured reflector for this light, I believe it will make a huge difference.

Back to the L2D :) I believe you'll like the light. Ringy? yes, but I look past that and I've found it to be a great light. I also have the L0D CE, which I carry in my pants pocket every day. This light really comes in handy!

AZ Sky

Newly Enlightened
I'm a new guy here but for what it's worth.

I bought and received a L2D CE last week and was totally happy with it, in fact it replaced my Surefire L2 as my EDC.

However it just failed. It is now stuck on the low lumen output setting even though the SOS and Strobe settings work in their respective modes. It just wont come out of low lumen mode even though I've tried several different new battery sets.

I gave it a rating of 7.
I really like this flashlight, if it hadn't failed on me I would have given it an 8.
I've emailed Fenix and hope I can get this thing fixed because I really do think it's a great flashlight for the price.

BUZ

Enlightened
dirobesh said:
Agreed, my propoly lux simply blows it out of the water, even on turbo, using freshly charged NiMh batteries. I know the propoly is a throw light, and the L2D is more of a flood, but the propoly IS a 1watt luxeon after all.

Hmm just got my L2D and it seems brighter than my PP!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
BUZ said:
Hmm just got my L2D and it seems brighter than my PP!

I would hope so! The Streamlight 4AA Luxeon is only around 40-45 lumens while the L2DCE is well over 100. If your 4AA Lux is brighter than your L2DCE something must be wrong. My Jetbeam C-LE is noticably brighter than my 4AA luxeon, and the C-LE is no where near as bright as the L1DCE let alone the L2DCE.

lumenal

Enlightened
Not to be overlooked - this light is powered be 2 AA batteries. Do you think a Cree light thats powered by a couple 3 volt lithium camera batteries is not going to outperform it? :huh2:

And the size is to be considered also. Ofcourse a light with a larger reflector will out-throw it. But thats the beauty of the L2D CE. Its very pocketable, and has great output. With a dynamic UI, and is ergonomically superb.

I'm personally very pleased with my L2D can't think of a better utility light, and so I voted unbeatable...:grin2:

nitrolight

Newly Enlightened
thanks everyone for the info :goodjob: - you okes really know alot about lights and i am so glad that i asked help!!!!!!!!!! the only thing that worries me now about the l2d is the quality and durability. will the l2d last me a lifetime?

nitrolight

Newly Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
If these are your two requirements, go with a 6D maglite with TerraLUX's new Seoul emitter.
i love maglite but do they a high/low setting?and the 6D is huge!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my pair of L2D-CEs has a contact issue somewhere that makes the light flicker or not turn on every now and again, but I've always overcome it with a few taps or by reseating the head/tail.

Nope, Mags don't have a low setting.