DORCY 1W 3D light upgrade help

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
hello my name is flashburn72... I am addicted to flashlights..

noobie here
I would like to upgrade a dorcy 1w 3d to a cree or seoul from deals extreme.
my question would be is what batterys to use. will 3d push it?or should I use a battery adapter? I dont know much about the light except it has a good beam and deep reflector. dont know if it is regulated in any way.
I would like to see 130 lumens out of it. any help I can get would b great.
Thank you in advance for any help.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd think (and I'm not up on electronics at all) that you'd just be able to swap the LED out, if it's easily accessible. That's been my experience thus far across the board, but if I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will be along to correct me..

Welcome to CPF!!

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello flashburn72 and welcome to CPF:)

I opened some Dorcy's (but no 3D) and found weak heatsinks. Only a star mounted on plastic with no contact to the body of the light.:thumbsdow

When you'll decide to swap the Led be sure to have a propper heatsink. That's most important.
Then measure the current at the new Led, so it depends on the vf. When you'll get more than 1Amps (of course with an improved heatsink) add a resistor:

Resistor calculator for leds from MetkuMods - Because you love your hardware!

Or a driver, i.e. Flupic.

Best regards

_____
Tom

kevinm

Enlightened
ACMarina,

I just did one of these and put it up in the Trade section. Disassemble the light and remove the resistor in series with the LED. Then, direct drive the LED. Mine pulls 910mA this way with a Cree P4. It's 150-160 lumens. You'll need a washer or such for a spacer for a Cree to get the height right.

Kevin

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help guys .The the 1w 3d has a real nice big heat sink so I dont think heat will be to much of a problem.
Thanks everyone for the info. Kevinm I will try it that way.I just want to be real careful did my first incan mod and poof there went my lo rop bulb.:awman:
soooo I would like to keep the noob mistakes down to a minumum.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cree would be the best in this case because of the deep reflector.

lhivernant

Newly Enlightened
I put a dealextreme seoul in mine and removed the resistor as well and got around an amp on alkalines. No other adjustment necessary.

Joel