evolving spam...

cy

Flashaholic
evolving spam... it's a cat $ mouse with high stakes. must work or spammer would not do it. pump $ dump penny stocks are suppose to be netting huge $$ for spammers.

just got this today, got by my baylean spam filter. betcha we'll be seeing more...

spam 2.JPG

cy

Flashaholic
yep, it's a gif file turned side ways to avoid more intelligent systems.

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
my CIS proff (David Marca, his books are on Amazon) claims technology will soon be able to ID these but not right now.

Someone builds a better mouse trap and then another will go and build a better mouse!! lol

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's amazing how much money must be at stake. The only positive is that with tilted text I would hope one would be less likely to click and hence reducting the $$$ in the model...

cy

Flashaholic
there's nothing to click in spam. they simply want you to purchase stock in spam gif

Last edited:

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
jif file? Thats a new one, I've heard people mis-pronounce gif as jif.

What gets me is the amount of money going into defeating anti-spam is surpassing the amount of money it would take to advertise legitimately. Though most of the products sold by spam today are not legit products but back a while ago when people were trying to call it just another form of advertising and free speech there were real products.

cy

Flashaholic
thanks for pointing that out... i splt good.. :D

yes but look who is spending the $$$?

wonder what the ratio is for every $1 spent by spammers. the dollars it takes to defend against?

Eugene said:
jif file? Thats a new one, I've heard people mis-pronounce gif as jif.

What gets me is the amount of money going into defeating anti-spam is surpassing the amount of money it would take to advertise legitimately. Though most of the products sold by spam today are not legit products but back a while ago when people were trying to call it just another form of advertising and free speech there were real products.

DM51

Flashaholic
It costs the spammers less than $1 to send out one spam message to 10,000,000 e-mail adresses. If they get just one moron replying, they've made a profit.

If there was a nominal charge for sending an e-mail, say one tenth of one cent (ie you could send 1,000 e-mails for $1) it would put spammers out of business immediately and I don't believe anyone else would begrudge this tiny expense for the benefit of getting rid of the problem.

cy

Flashaholic
that'd be $1 for many months of emails for me.

for most folks $1 would cover an entire year. seems AOL tried something like that and it didn't work.

DM51 said:
It costs the spammers less than $1 to send out one spam message to 10,000,000 e-mail adresses. If they get just one moron replying, they've made a profit.

If there was a nominal charge for sending an e-mail, say one tenth of one cent (ie you could send 1,000 e-mails for $1) it would put spammers out of business immediately and I don't believe anyone else would begrudge this tiny expense for the benefit of getting rid of the problem.