My father and I are building a bar...

cutlerylover

Banned
Yup, we decided to build a bar for our spare room in our house...We got all the wood for free from his work to do the frame of it, then we got some trim and molding and stain and started working...it took us about 3 weeks (we only had time on the weekends to work on it) to build the frame, which is done...then last weekend we attached the top, which we stained then the rope trim and the top molding and we stained it dark, then roughed it up, then restained with something s bit different to give it an aged look...anyway today we are skinning it with the finish wood then staining it next weekend, I just thought I woudl shar soem pictures with you guys and see if anyone here like to build things with wood? My father has always had a passion for wood working, but he had to sell off all his tools a few years back when we conmverted the garage to another room for my grandmother to live it...She passed away about a ayera ago and we moved...but he still does tries to work with wood every chance he gets even with onyl a few tools...

The inside is still the workshop, lol, we have not decided whats going in there besides the mini fridge we already bought...

IMGP6640.jpg

IMGP6641.jpg

IMGP6642.jpg

IMGP6643.jpg

IMGP6644.jpg

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
First thing that came to mind when I read the thread title was an old, old Hillbilly (predating country and western) song -- "Gonna build a bar in the back of my car and drive myself to drink".

Good luck on the project. The work looks good.

cutlerylover

Banned
Ok getting closer to the finish line now...the finished wood is on the putside and done, and starting to get stained...the inside is almost done, and will also be stained today, hopefully...Some more pics...I wish I could have started this thread when we just started to build it to show it from the beginning...but I just didnt think of it, oh well...

IMGP6664.jpg

IMGP6663.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
when i was a kid i thought davie crocket was killed in a bar when he was only 3.but i missuderstood the words to the songs still sounds like he was kille din a bar though .

cutlerylover

Banned
Thanks! got some more stuff done today! Stained everythgin, and aftr looking at it again with the stain completed the top neded to be a bit darker in our opinion to look good, so my dad stained the top down a bit then layer some golden oak stain ok, and it looks great!!!!!!! Some more pics....Please excuse the mess of tools inside as well as the room itself, we are working on changing the whole room...Now to make some cabinet doors and complete the inside, then when it gets warmer out we can open up the windows and put some clear coat on the top and rails...Oh yeah then we are going to put down some flooring we got for free behind the bar and under the mini-fridge! :grin2:

IMGP6708.jpg

IMGP6709.jpg

IMGP6710.jpg

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
cutlerylover said:
Thanks! got some more stuff done today! Stained everythgin, and aftr looking at it again with the stain completed the top neded to be a bit farker in our opinion to look good, so my dad snaded the top down a bit then layer some golden oak stain ok, and it looks great!!!!!!! Some more pics....Please excuse the mess of tools inside as well as the room itself, we are working on changing the whole room...Now to make some cabinet doors and complete the inside, then when it gets warmer out we can open up the windows and put some clear coat on the top and rails...Oh yeah then we are going to put down some flooring we got for free behind the bar and under the mini-fridge! :grin2:

Looks like it's coming along well and you're already enjoying it! :lolsign:

cutlerylover

Banned
greenlight said:
Looks like it's coming along well and you're already enjoying it! :lolsign:

Yeah :grin2: Working together and bonding is the fun part, when its done we will have to take a rest there when we are not working on other projects!

Ken_McE said:
Sweet. What kind of lighting will you give it?

Thats a big decission that my dads leaving to me...Any suggestions? Im thinking LED's hardwired to a switch but Im not sure about the specifics yet...It would be nice if I could buy something already made though, since I do not have any tools to make somethgin homeade...

Sixpointone said:
Very nice!

And being a Tennis fan I love seeing the Racquets in the pic too.

Thanks...Actually we just got them to use this summer, I live in a gated community and there are about 10 tennis courts, so...we figured we better learn to play tennis so we can take advantage of them...lol...

cutlerylover

Banned
Ok, well we just got back from lowes...we picked up more molding and white rope lighting...we are going to use the molding on the underside of the overhang (the edge of the top) to hide the rope lighting, then stain the wood, that way there will be accent lighting comming down on the front of the bar but you will not see the bulbs themselves, just the light...I tried to find LED rope lighting, but all I coudl find was the incandescent kind, but I think it will look good...Ok well Ill be back in a little while with more pics!