G2 Sleeper with Night Light

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
:sssh: Its sleeping
sssh.jpg

Okay now lets wake it up
underhood.jpg

OOH looks like we caught her with her pants down. So we have a XR-E in my clickie G2 now. After I saw Milkyspit's G2: McR-27L FLuPIC UXOJ Mod I wanted to make one. But I only had XR-Es laying around :shrug whats a fella to do, I got by with a McR-27XR my own pill and a Wiz520. I made the pill first and kinda jumped the gun. In order to get the LED in the reflector I needed to cut the threads down. I also took some Al off the bottom teir of the reflector so I could close down on the threads all the way. Now it looks stock till you turn it on.
frontend.jpg

g2-xr-e.jpg

The Cree XR-E is a P4 WC from nushipwright's blow out sale. Not as warm as SSC USVOI P4 but good and white.
On a Wiz 520 I'm guesstamating 2:30 hours. Is this right 520ma/1300mah?

Last edited:

luxlover

Banned
Re: G2 Sleeper

Brian,
Nice work. Any time a SF G2 can be tricked into thinking that you are replacing it's existing lamp module with another P60 or P61, when you are really installing a Cree XR-E emitter instead, is a wonderful time. The G2's Nitrolon body is a lightweight and tough host for an LED upgrade. Just don't tell it that! Do you have any idea what kind of lumen output your board/emitter combo yields? If it is greater than the stock P60's 60lm, you are in business! :naughty:

The beamshot is free of artifacts and very white. We all look for these two perks. The hotspot blends smoothly into the sidespill. All in all, it gives a good appearance on a white wall. The real test will be to take it into the wilds of Queens NY, and put it through it's "urban moves!" I am curious as to the kind of throw it possesses.

Let us know how it performs in output and runtime on a pair of CR123 cells. By the way, since Nitrolon doesn't have the same heat conductance properties as aluminum, how does the copper heatsink transmit heat away from the emitter slug and into the outside world?

Jeff

vinsanity286

Newly Enlightened

Nice mod! How well does the heatsink work? It looks to only by a thin copper plate.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast

vinsanity286 said:
Nice mod! How well does the heatsink work? It looks to only by a thin copper plate.
Its actually a thin copper plate soldered to a 1/2" copper pipe filled with AAE and the heat passes to the Alum. sleeve inside the G2.
I just ran a half hour test and found:
-after 7 min I felt heat around the top of the body tube
-after 15min I felt heat around the middle of the body tube
-at 30min heat was felt throughout the body heat at the top did not increase much over time and I held the light during the test.
I then removed batteries and put an oral thermometer(best I got) on the bottom of the LE and only read 98degrees. It seems the heat can be transfered via the nitrolon and I don't see myself using it more than 30 minutes.
I am kicking around an idea of a heatsink between the XR-E's emitter tube and the reflector. Theres alot of Al there to suck up some heat.

On a side note I took out the window at the end and noticed a much improved beam, the lexan window has got to go! Its dulled and scratched from kicking around my pack. I was really unimpressed with the McR27-XR now I know the reason and need to get a UCL, Anyone know the size? I'll be looking into it.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Night light for the Sleeper

Here is an update to this light. I got my clear epoxy and mixed up a batch with Green Glow Powder from GlowInc. I surrounded the cree with the glow-epoxy covering the silver cree emitter shroud. Now the led sits lower than it did with the tape/plastic spacer and it glows good.

I have a UCL on order and hope it improves the beam as there are noticable artifacts from the scratched lexan window. Beamshots later...

GlowShots now!

G2GLOW.jpg

After 1 second

1sec.jpg

After 30 seconds

30sec.jpg

After 1 minute

1min.jpg

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to update I changed the reverse clickie into a forward clickie in this light.

The details to modding it are here RE-FORWARD CLICKIE MOD

I hope my need to tear apart and rebuild everything to my needs helps others in their endevors.