G&P 6V Luxeon LED Upgrade

SilverFox

Flashaholic
GCBStokes asked me to post this because he was having difficulty getting pictures to post in a thread.

I am starting this thread for him.

Here is his post:

Tom:

Thanks for the help and great talking to you! I though it better send you the pictures now before I get busy today and/or the wife and kids get to my computer! I sent you two pictures, you pick which one you think best shows what I did.

I always liked my SureFire G2 and G2Z Flashlights, and I use them outdoors in cold, damp and rainy weather. Because they are not as cold to hold in my hand as my aluminum flashlights are. However, I don't like the very sort runtime P60 Lamp Assemble and the fact that they do blowout and break! I read a great review on the G&P Luxeon LED Upgrade Modules, I thought these is the answer to my prayers! So, I got 5 of them for my G2 and G2Z, my sons and a friend also have G2 lights, and I wanted to have a spear module for when and if I get another G2 of G2Z or new G3. With each of these module came a metal spring that was needed because the G2/G2Z flashlights none metal bodies. The spring was need to make contact with metal tub inside the G2/G2Z body to work. Some say their light work without, my did not.

I went with the 3 watt module because of the better runtime, and it is more then bright enough and has good throw. With my G2s and G2Z I had the problem referred to in the Flashlightriew.com review regarding to the bezel not tighten down all the way because of the spring. And with all our G2/G2Z lights the modules didn't work without the spring. So we had the gap! The upgrade was great, we had much better light and more then double the runtime, LED reliability. So, I though I'd deal with the little gap. Yet, that GAP bugged me! I know it may sound silly, but a little thing like that just bugged me, and I didn't like the little GAP! The GAP!!!

So, I though I'd give Aluminum Foil a try, and it works and no more GAP!!!

I got a strip of Aluminum Foil, folded it over folded it over to double the thickness. Then I cut it to size to wrap around the bottom of the LED Module in place of the spring. I crimped the foil strip into the little grove where the top of the spring would have rested in order to hold the foil strip in place. I then put the module in place in the G2/GHz body, and then put the bezel on over it. The foil in my photos is 1/2 inch wide, and is wider then needed. The foil only need to be about 1/4 inch wide to work. It only needs to contact the metal inside of the G2/GHZ body. The foil works great and sense the LED should not blow or burn out, the LED should not ever need to be removed. If needed, one could always put a new foil strip on it. I have 3 Age's and 1 GHZ that I've done this with, and all the of them have been used extensively sense April of 2006 and have not failed or needed to be re-done. And that darn GAP is Gone!

Family052.jpg

Family055.jpg

BBL

Enlightened
i would be afraid that the aluminum foil shorts out against the spring...

lexina

Enlightened
Thanks for the great tip! It worked very well for my drop-in module. To guard against the foil shorting against the spring, I made sure that there was very little foil over-hanging past the edge of the module and it worked fine. :goodjob:

GCBStokes

Newly Enlightened
Elton,

sounds nice whats the run time now ? also how much does it cost

Checkout a great review at flashlightreviews.com
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_p60lux3.htm

I got my modules at BugOutGearUSA.com for $29.95 each for the 3 watt modules.
http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/drledmo.html

I've been using Titanium CR123A's from Amondotech.com at $1.00 each, and the Tenergy CR123A's from BatteryJunction.com also at $1.00 each. Using the 3 watt modules in both our G2 and G2Z flashlights and we have been getting 2 hour 15 minute of regulated runtime, with least 3 hours of diminishing light afterward! Not bad at all! We have 5 of the 3 watt modules, and just got two 5 watt modules. I haven't done any runtime testing as of yet, but it's slightly better then my SureFire L5, but not as bright. What I'm seeing with the 5 watt modules, they are only a little brighter the 3 watt modules, but don't have nearly as much throw. Perhaps someone out there could check into the tech aspects of this? And even though the 5 watt module is only slightly brighter then the 3 watt module, it give us only half the runtime as the 3 watt module.

I like the 3 watt modules much better, they are very bright and have good throw and the beam quality is fantastic with good color. I always like the G3/G2Z because the Nitrolon Body is so much better to hold for in cold and/or wet weather. But because of the poor runtime of the P60 modules, and the fact that the P60's bulb does break and burn/blow out, our G2/G2Z saw very limited frontline service. Well, these modules have change all that now. If you have a G2, G2Z, 6P or any light that uses a P60 module, you can't go wrong with these modules. I'm thinking of getting one of the new SureFire G3 because BugOutGearUSA tells me that this 3 watt modules will work in them and the SureFire 9P as well. If anyone has a one of the new G3 lights or a 9P and have use this module, please let us know how well it work! I wondering if it will have even better runtime, or be any brighter?

Last edited:

GCBStokes

Newly Enlightened
BBL,
i would be afraid that the aluminum foil shorts out against the spring...

Trim the Aluminum Foil so is just wide enough to make contact inside the G2/G2Z body. I will be wide enough to make contact with the metal inside the body, but won't be wide enough to contact the spring. Trim the foil to 1/4 inch wide, or even less, you shouldn't have a problem. The photos posted were taken before I trim the foil down.

GCBStokes

Newly Enlightened
lexina,

Thanks for the great tip! It worked very well for my drop-in module. To guard against the foil shorting against the spring, I made sure that there was very little foil over-hanging past the edge of the module and it worked fine.

Thank you for the kind words. And thanks for explaining about leaving just a little foil over-hanging past the edge of the module. You explained it better then I did.

I'm thinking of ordering a G3 tomorrow and placing my extra G&P 3 watt LED module in it. However, I'm not sure if it will be any brighter or give longer runtime? I'm more then happy the brightness and throw as is, but if I would get even better runtime with the three (3) CR123A Batteries in a G3, then the G3 would be a fine light to have indeed.

Thanks again!

GCBStokes

Newly Enlightened
SilverFox,

GCBStokes asked me to post this because he was having difficulty getting pictures to post in a thread.

I am starting this thread for him.

I would like to thank you for starting this thread for me and posting my pictures of what I did. Also, thanks for being so helpful with all my questions. I've been using headlamps and flashlight many years, but never really understood just how they worked, or what made them work. Getting into the technical aspect of things with headlamps and flashlight is all new and very interesting to me. After all, I rely on them and they are so important in my research work. And I use them not only for my work, but also for camping, hiking, backpacking and around the house everyday. So, I should lean as much about them as possible.

Thanks again for all your help and I look forward to talking with you again soon.