A new twist on pot luck dinner, grill luck

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I declared today at work to be the "Grillmasters Extravaganza" I gave notice on Monday to everyone and today was the event, (Saturday)

The deal works like this. Challenge everyone to bring in their best grill meat. Anyone that doesn't bring meat donates $10. The average guy who brought meat probably spent $20-$25 so the $10 whiners are ignored or browbeaten. Everyone brings the food cooked and warm in the AM. 1 grill is needed for warming. The non-cookers $10 is used for all the stuff you need to go with meat, plates, forks, bread, chips, etc. It's is a super highline lunch at work with minimal effort. The pride thing gets the guys to bring in the meat even though it's a little expensive, at least down here. 2 people brought huge bowls of pasta salad but they had to clear that with me beforehand because this is a meat event.

Employees that make less than the team that put on the event eat for free

We had:
Beef Brisket, 8 pds
Rib eye kabobs, 3 pds
Pulled Pork, 3 ways, 15 pds
Grilled Chicken, many ways, 30 pds
Smoked venison sausage, 5 pds
Pork ribs 10 pds
Venison ham 5 dps
Smoked Tuna 5 pds

Our group is about 40 people. 35 or so of them either did meat or $10. We fed about 70 and it was enough to gorge everyone.

Hints,
You don't need much bread. There is so much meat people blow off the bread. I thought I could sneak it in as a filler but the eaters know better and stick to meat. I had 8 loaves and we used 2. Same goes for the condiments to go on the bread. Also, I bought 10 bags of chips and only 1.5 were eaten even though I had hot sauce and jalapenos to go on the chips. It was a meat lovers dream event and more fun than a typical potluck.

We probably had 80 pounds of meat and when it was over 2-3 pounds were left.

The whiners that griped about paying $10 bucks all said they would quit the whining and gladly pay the $10 if we do it again, duh!

I told one of the whiners, "Let's do this. You reimburse me for half the meat I'm donating and I will pay your $10." He pulled out a $10 and shut up.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading this made me hungry for BBQ.

Later this month I will be smoking 3 pork butts on the Char-griller pro for my sister-in-laws b-day. I love eating this stuff!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Sounds like you had a GREAT FEAST there Dave!!

Ahhhhh, what timing! Coincidence? I think not! GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!! :thumbsup:

Just last night I pulled out a huge vacuum packed pit BBQ pork loin that I cooked up last fall in my Cookshack Pit BBQ smoker/cooker! Pulled out the slicer & sliced half of it up paper thin for sandwiches or just to pile on the plate with BBQ sauce.

The other half will be "steaked out" for Sunday's dinner!

Ok, so it wasn't a grill - but it's GOURMET for sure!!!

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
IMO "smoking" falls in the grilling section of the manly eats outdoor cooking category so Sigman's pork loin would have fit right in.

Didn't get any photos. I meant to but once everything came out and EVERY eater wanted to know what was in each pan there was no time. Note to self: Label each pan next time.

We will probably do it again in the fall once it starts cooling back off. I'm guessing Oct.