I need flashlight recs

NAlamo

Newly Enlightened
Welcome ! Great place to find the info *but* specify a price range and approximate size will net you very good results . The Fenix Store is right up the road in Atlanta .Glad y'all made it through the ordeal and good luck on the light .

supes

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! I'm glad you and your house are ok. I'm in Augusta and heard of the devastation in Americus. I didn't know tornadoes were very prevalent in GA till now.

Never thought I'd recommend Maglites but in your case and requirements, I think its easiest. The new Maglite LED's are easily obtainable at Walmart and other stores. The Maglite 2AA & 3AA LED uses the common AA batteries and are decently priced. Some places like Home Depot have some of them still on sale for less then $20 bucks.

If you don't mind D cell batteries, I'd say get the Maglite D cell LEDs(such as 3D) for long runtimes. Their also a little brighter.

If your willing to order online, I would get some Gerber Infinity (Ultra version is brighter)AA lights for long runtime and small size. You can put them anywhere.

Also, I strongly suggest getting a long lasting keychain light so that you will alway have a light on you. I have a Fenix E0 which lasts over 10+ hours on 1 AAA alkaline. Another good brand is Peak LEDs. Hope this helps a little.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Nothing beats a M*glite for a commonly recognized piece of hardware.

Nothing beats a M*gled drop-in for making a M*g 100% better.

M*gleds SEEM (based on something that happened here at home) to have insane runtime too!

And as few others have said, the 2AA and 3AA M*gleds are pretty decent stuff too.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! I would also like to recommend a fenix light, the EO's (while I haven't owned any) seem to be great on runtime and cost, and are very small, but if those are out of your budget, try to find the old dorcy aa's if they're still floating around. Those ones are decent budget lights as well (personally handled them myself)

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
mgreathouse77 said:
What i'm looking for is reliable, long-lasting, moderatly sized, and fairly in-expensive flashlights. I need at least 3, two for the house, and one to keep in my truck, because i constantly find myself needing one where ever I go, so I would really appreciate links w/ info and prices and I would prefer to be able to buy at a store rather than order over the internet

Welcome to CPF.

Look no further, these are the lights you need:

http://www.brightguy.com/products/MagLite_3_D-cell_LED_Flashlight.php

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Mini_Mag_3_AA_LED_Flashlight.php

The 3-cell versions are 'best in class' of the MagLEDs, offering longer runtime and superior brightness. Very good values for their prices, tough, reliable, and come with lifetime warranty.

If you don't want to order online, you should be able find these at most any big box store in your area, possibly at lower prices.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome. Glad to hear you're OK.

In case the D-cell Maglites are too large for you (make sure to get LED), another reasonably priced flashlight is the Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon. Runs on 4 AA batteries, ~$25..$30, from brightguy.com or fox-intl.com.

roadie

Enlightened
welcome!

this is the place for yr needs of getting a good torchlight .....

if need a longer range, theres a 35 watt HID spotlight from amondotech that cost only US$139.95

http://www.amondotech.com/

but its very big .... :)

they are many other choices around, LEDs array will be a good choice when u gather yr family together or when cooking or bathing, etc; due to its flood / wide area, short distance, longer run on primary batteries....

ELSE for a EDC (everyday carry), plently of choice here, do read the reviews

:)

jon1996

Newly Enlightened
I have to recommend these lights, I own at least 2 of each and love them,

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1099

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1107

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=874

The first one I use at work each day, the low mode on it is plenty bright for working on cars and walking around a dark house

A headlamp is very valuble when the power is out, that way you have both hands free, and if you buy at amondo go ahead and stock up on their excellent titanium cr123 bats

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to consider an LED headlamp for hands free use. I believe they are still available for under $20.00 at Target and Walmart. Look for these key words "1 Watt" or "Luxeon". That refers to the type of LED used. I haven't seen any cheap "Cree" LED headlamps yet. Maybe next year.

I like higher end lights for LED than Mag but I had been waiting to see how well they worked and bought a pewter 3 AA MagLED. It surprised me how well it worked. It has a thermistor in it. When the LED gets hot the thermistor steps down the voltage to the LED. There have been reports of it flickering. Mine hasn't. I don't use it much. It's tucked away in my Maxpedition Operator loaded with lithium AAs for emergency use.

mgreathouse77 said:
Hi, i'm new to the forum and have zero knowledge about flashlights. I live in Columbus, GA and my neighborhood was victim to a tornado thursday night. My home was fine, but we were without power for some time and found our cheap-old flashlights to be very in-effective. What i'm looking for is reliable, long-lasting, moderatly sized, and fairly in-expensive flashlights. I need at least 3, two for the house, and one to keep in my truck, because i constantly find myself needing one where ever I go, so I would really appreciate links w/ info and prices and I would prefer to be able to buy at a store rather than order over the internet, however I will order if i need to....thanks for any help guys!

-Miles Greathouse

Miles, I'm glad you're okay. For a really inexpensive but very useful flashlight, I recommend the Eveready 2D flashlight with the magnet on the side of its body. It costs only $4.99 from The Home Depot, and this light you can magnetize to any metal object like your refrigerator, truck roof, etc.

Our Property Management team at a Class-A highrise used these after the 9/11 attacks. Highly recommended. I have one stuck to my refrigerator.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Inova X5?? You're not going to get much more runtime than that, and it's less expensive than a lot of other lights mentioned..

the MagLED is a great idea, though, and easily found..

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second that on a Headlamp. The Princeton Tec EOS and Petzl Tikka XP are widely available at outdoors stores catering to backpacking and such.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/princetontec_eos.htm

I like the EOS better for all around use, but for disaster preparedness I think the Tikka XP would probably be better. The Diffuser is better for reading and cooking and general indoor usage. Also the runtimes are better, but the brightness drops off as the batteries die (which prolongs battery life):
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/petzl_tikka_xp.htm

Also the River Rock Lantern at Target. It uses 4AA and a long lasting LED.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/riverrock_lantern.htm

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF :), I would second the votes for the Minimag LED and the INova X5, both are very good lights and you can buy multiples of them fairly resonably. ALso pick up a decent LED headlamp, they are invaluable for doing things in a power outage, from cooking to reading.

mgreathouse77

Newly Enlightened
wow! thanks for all the responses guys! i picked up 3 2D LED Mag lites for the house. now 'm looking for something smaller than that to keep in my truck, prefeably LED and i've seen one that changed from white to blue to red...something like that would be really cool, anyone know wheer i could find something like that?

mgreathouse77 said:
wow! thanks for all the responses guys! i picked up 3 2D LED Mag lites for the house. now 'm looking for something smaller than that to keep in my truck, prefeably LED and i've seen one that changed from white to blue to red...something like that would be really cool, anyone know wheer i could find something like that?
Red, white and blue LED. Isn't that the Surefire Kroma?

Latest posts