What is the best LED replacement for 2-4D Mags?

Supernam

Enlightened
I currently use the Maglite brand LED drop in for my 4D. It has a pretty good review from flashlightreviews.com, but I would like to take all options into consideration. I ran into many options on lighthound and I'd like to hear your experiences and recommendations for my 4D.

Thanks.

LittleBrownStain

Newly Enlightened
Gentlemen:

I have just bought my first-ever mag - a 2D LED Maglite. ($50 in Canada). It works beautifully and for just two cells, I am most impressed with the brightness level given.

But can someone tell me why the mag people, and just about everyone else in general, tells me NOT to use NiMH cells with the included 3-watt LED module ???

I have a couple of AA-to-D size adaptors, and would like to use Sanyo's eneloops to power the mag. But the included info sheet simply states: Use only alkaline batteries.... (and) ..... Do not use rechargeable or reuseable alkaline batteries, but they don't say WHY.

I *could* just use an EverLED module, which would be guaranteed to work, but I would have to mail-order and wait for it, and I was (kinda) hoping for a quicker (and maybe less expensive) option.

Would using NiMHs smoke the Mag LED module?

Thnx in advance. -- Mike --

iapyx

Enlightened
Mike,

I can think of only one reason: NiMh batteries produce 1.2Volts and alkaline 1.5 Volts.
3x1.2= 3.6 Volts versus 3x1.5 = 4.5 Volts.

iapyx

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
iapyx said:
Mike,

I can think of only one reason: NiMh batteries produce 1.2Volts and alkaline 1.5 Volts.
3x1.2= 3.6 Volts versus 3x1.5 = 4.5 Volts.

iapyx
Sorry, that's not true. Under a typical flashlight load, alkaline cells produce from about 1.4 to 0.8 volts as they discharge. NiMH cells produce from about 1.3 to 1.0 volts as they discharge. Typically, the voltage will be lower when using alkaline cells than NiMH cells after the first small fraction of the discharge period.

One reason for the restriction that's occurred to me is that the Mag lights shut down when the cells reach a fairly low voltage. (This is necessary in order to extract most of the energy from alkaline cells.) If you use NiMH cells, there's a risk that one cell will become reverse charged by the other cell, which will degrade or ruin the weaker cell. This isn't likely, though, if the cells are always used as a pair so they remain well matched. I run all my Mags with NiMH cells without problems.

c_c