In need of some serious power

D

**DONOTDELETE**

In need of some serious power

This is my first post here so don't rip me too bad
smile.gif
I just bought a M3, and while it is a nice light I'm the kind of person who has always wanted more than enough in case of an emergency. I have the 225 LA in the M3 but would like suggestions on what light I should get in the 500 lu range. I was thinking of the M6 but what else is there out there that I should consider? I like surefires and I get a very good deal on them.
I have seen/heard of the 12P? is this light still available and what are the specs?
Thanks for your input

Jeff

Brock

Flashaholic
Re: In need of some serious power

Welcome… The 12PM has been replaced by the M4. The M4 can use the 500 lumen lamp from the 12PM. The M6 is brighter by a touch, but about 3 times the size. Then again it will run for 20+ min instead of about 8+ min on the 12PM. I don't know which Streamlights are in this range, I believe the Ultra Stinger, but they are rechargeable, something I am not in to at this point.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Welcome to CPF!

I would say that the size/weight increase of the M6 over the 12PM/M4 is more then justified in terms of the M6's incredible brilliance, and ability to maintain it. I personally find the M6 easier to carry because it is shorter.

I got the impression that the Streamlight UltraStinger can spot-down to a tighter spot for slightly longer range, but can not match the M6 in terms of sheer quantity of light output.

The Streamlight SL35X has been suggested to have a ~20 Watt bulb like the N62 for the 12PM/M4.

The UltraS and SL35X are longer and less easy to carry then the M6. If you're carrying the SL35X, it's obvious.

IMHO, if the M4 and UltraS were shorter and fatter, they'd be excellent flashlights, and I'd own both.

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Guys,
I think I will go ahead and scrape up some cash for the M6.

Jeff

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about the Underwater Kinetics Light Cannon? FOr about 200 dollars you can get - probably - the chapest 400-500 lumens around. (Other than a spotlight of course)

If you don't mind the extra bulk and weight, and would consider longer runtime a good trade off...you can't go wrond with this product. It's not as shock proof as other lights and the bulb can be a bit&* to pay for if it breaks...but i've had mine since February and i haven't had any problems. I've bumped it here and there and it has flown around in the trunk of my car without any breakage. I have the lantern grip on it with a lanyard i attatched to it...so i've never dropped it. It's hard to drop something this big anyway.

It uses a 10W HID lamp which is equivelant to 24-30w. it runs on 8 C-size alkalines or NiCD/NimH which will give you at most 3-4 hours. I've run mine to about 2 hours with VERY good light and changed the batteries after that becuase i beleive in ONLY bright light...just like you.
grin.gif

Please consider this light becuase i believe every flashaholic should have this light. With all that you guys spend on Surefires, you might as well buy this HID light. It lacks the instant strike/on that regular lights posses, but when you are walking in the woods, this is the best light to have because of its brightness to runtime ratio. 3 hours at 500 lumens? I think that's pretty good.

Holler at William at TTS. He sells the Light Cannon for 149.99. ANd he has the replacement bulbs for around 60 dollars each. That's a pretty damn good price. Or you can check if anyone is selling theirs on the board. Holler at a guy named Aragorn...i think he's selling his (if it isn't sold yet).

Here are some pictures if you are interested:

Light Cannon w/ lantern grip ON
fde6c181.jpg

Light Cannon Vs. E2 @ 25ft.
fde6beac.jpg

size comparisons:
fde6c189.jpg

D

**DONOTDELETE**

LEDagent,

Thanks for the info. In the picture of the e2 and light cannon the cannon looks much brighter, but is the beam on the cannon too focused? do you have any other surefires like an M3 that you can compare them to? Also what do you mean by lacking instant strike on? I am very new to the high performance flashlights arena
grin.gif

Thanks, Jeff

recercare

Enlightened

"Also what do you mean by lacking instant strike on? "

The LC 100 is a HID. It takes 30+ seconds to reach full brightness. The LC's beam is not too narrow in my opinion (about 6 degrees). You can use beam filters as well, which will change the beam angle to 30-40 degrees, in other words....a nice flood light. The color is also an advantage. It's pure white, not yellow like halogen lamps.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

I should know better than to read these threads that mention the Light Cannon..
I've been very good at resisting the temptation...

Now I can just hear it calling to me...

"Buuuy me...you know you want to..."

smile.gif

Graham

Bright Scouter

Enlightened

I say skip the M6.
frown.gif
Start saving your money. If you need a temporary fix, get an UK LC, or a decent mini spot. Then, buy the biggest gun in the west when it comes out.
grin.gif

Beast or Hellfire, your choice.

Did I mention you should start saving your money now?
shocked.gif

Del

D

**DONOTDELETE**

LEDagent,
How do I get in touch with William at TTS.
Thanks,
Jeff

Latest posts