Ultra long running lights

medicjim

Newly Enlightened
I'l looking for an extra long runnning torch (24 hours+). I believe that will probably limit me to simple LED arrays and larger batteries. I've found that most 5 led arrays produce enough light for my needs and I can live with something as large as three "C" cells. Unit cost should run under $40 US, but will likely involve a bulk buy of several dozen. Reliability and durability must be exceedingly high end.

The units will be issued to emergency response personnel as part of a disaster kit. Any help in finding the right solution would be much appreciated.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't have to be just a simple arrays. With the advent of the new generation of power LEDs from Cree and Seoul semiconductor you can have like 10 lumens for 20 hours.

An example of this is the new Novatac light slated to be released in 2 months. If you want something like that now you can get a HDS light and put in a new LED.
It'll do 18 hours on 1 CR123.

medicjim

Newly Enlightened
Will the Cree lights be inside the ~$40-$50 cost range. This is a municipal bid, the penny pinchers are pretty tough to sell on more than that.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being that you're looking under $40, though... How about something from Inova?? I'd bet my X5 will run for over 24 hours, and the 24/7 would be a good disaster kit light with all of the functions..

medicjim

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at the x5...does the lack of a reflector result in less illumination? I'll have to look at the 24x7...not familiar with it. Consider me clueless on this stuff. I really do appreciate the help.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Run for 24 hours?? Hadn't seen that stat - AA doesn't stand a chance, and you're gonna need a lot of D cells to do that..

Edit to answer questions - for a flood light, the X5 is incredible. It's probably as close to an indestructable flashlight as you're going to see for the money. They're waterproof enough to use in a disaster situation (I've been to 21' with mine for a lifeguarding exercise) and are bright enough to provide general illumination for 95% of tasks. Don't get me wrong, if I was going hunting or clearing rooms of drug dealers or something I'd pick a different light, but for a disaster kit I don't see how you can go wrong..

Don't worry about the lack of a reflector - the LEDs will put out enough light to get the job done. I'll take one over the cheepie lights the county EMA gave us any day of the week ;)

Last edited:

stoven

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like your easiest solution is to buy a 2 C-Cell maglite with an LED drop in. You can easily get this setup for less than $40.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Have a look at the Elektrolumens Anglelux here:

http://elektrolumens.com/AngleLux/AngleLux.html

It uses a Cree LED at 80 lumens and runs for 24 hours to 50% brightness on 2 D alkaline cells.

It was $49.99 when introduced and is now $59.99 ea. I'll bet you'd get the original price in the quantities you're considering. E-mail Wayne; you'll find him very helpful.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Another vote for Maglite LED C or D flashlight.
The great MagLED review at flashlightreviews.com here has charts and graphs showing run time. 2D and 3D Maglite with MagLED goes 22 hours (after initial drop of 50% from thermal regulating) and still puts out light for many hours after. 4D runs 43 hours plus.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
medicjim said:
I'l looking for an extra long runnning torch (24 hours+). ... I've found that most 5 led arrays produce enough light for my needs and I can live with something as large as three "C" cells. Unit cost should run under $40 US, but will likely involve a bulk buy of several dozen. Reliability and durability must be exceedingly high end.
Take a look at the Tektite TREK 4. 4 LEDs, 3AAs, 20+ hrs at full power + 80 more hours of usable light, $39.95 list price -- you should be able to find them for $30 or so. Tektite lights are simple, rugged and reliable.

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess it kinda depends on how large these kits are gonna be - If they're in a duffel bag then the 4D Maglite would be okay, but if you're going to carry this stuff around I'd seriously reconsider anything larger than a 2D.

I've been through this before - The EMA gave us cheepie 2D lights in our kits. Not even intrinsically safe. Most everybody replaced their lights after a drill in a blacked-out garage with dump trucks and road machinery, at least upgrading to a Maglite. The smart ones were using PT 4AA lights they'd picked up at a sporting goods store. Of course, nobody could hang with my L4, but that's a different story. Quite a few upgraded to Everled drop-ins after seeing my 2D Mag run as long as it did..

Anyhow, another thing to think about is batteries. Other than the obvious reasons why lithium is a better battery than alkaline, they're also easy to find. Last time I was in a disaster setting (Alabama hurricane season) there were no alkaline batteries to be found, short of the 9V. CR123s were everywhere, and the only people that were buying them were the people that wanted to take pictures with their cameras that used those. And you can fit a dozen spare CR123s in a box that'd be about the size of a 2D pack..

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
The Original SMJLED worked for 100+ Hours with 2D Cells. However they are very difficult to find these days.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The Fenix L2T does 20+ hours on 2AA on low. Advantage is the use of common AA, and in your price range at ~$43 shipped (after CPF discount)

Runtimes are not out yet for the L2DCE (a bit more expensive, ~$52), but I'm fairly confident it will exceed 24 hours since it's low mode is lower output the L2S/T series, and it uses the more efficient cree.

Danintex

Enlightened
This thread caught my since I'm doing some unofficial runtime tests myself. In my closet I have a stock Streamlight 4AA Survivor that has been running continously for slightly more than 96 hours and still is emitting enough light to walk a path or read a map by. The batteries already had about 4hrs of intermittent use on them so thats about 100 hrs already! Price is about $45 at most places and are incredibly tough- just do a search.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Princeton Tec Impact XL, (4-AA cells)
with Energizer L91 Lithiums.

This is NOT a bright, High-Output flashlight !

Rather, a nice soft, floody beam, ideal for close-quarters.

If you're seeking a perfect beam pattern, with no artifacts,
then choose something else.

But this incredibly rugged and tough light is waterproof to 328 feet.

Manufacturer claims maximum output is 17 Lumens.

No regulation, so it gradually drops over the next 8-10 hours, to 50%.

Then it'll continue in Moon-mode, producing "a lumen or two"
for the next Day or Two !
smile.gif

BrightGuy currently has these (in Yellow) on sale for $25 each.

And yes, he has now changed his website to state that these CAN indeed be used with Lithium cells.

If this level of lighting is sufficient for your needs,
you might wanna' consider this flashlight.

Latest posts