Monitor eyestrain and amber glasses

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Anyone else dealing with the eyestrain of staring at a computer monitor by using amber glasses? I've found that it cuts out the bluish haze and helps tremendously. Mine are marketed as "computer glasses" and have a light orange tint with very slight magnification.

Tactical Sponge

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried lowering the color temperature of your monitor? I prefer my monitors to be at 6500 K but you might like yours at 5000 K-5500 K which is less blue and mimics daylight more closely.

You also might want to check your refresh rate if you're using a CRT monitor. I like it to be at least 75 Hz, 80 Hz if possible.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Mine is running at 75hz. It's an LCD so I don't think I'll gain much by bumping it up to 80hz. I'll try tweaking the color temperature though. Thanks.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wear a orange pair for driving in the rain. I think its called chrominum or something for the color. I had walmart make the lenses to put in a pair of slip over prescription sun glasses I bought. I use a pair of their slip on sun glasses for driving in the sun.

Another thing is to dim the monitor.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Man, I'm old! I still remember when amber monochromatic monitors were an improvement over the green ones. :green: (or was it the other way around? - memory fails at this old age)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
When I first got a Commodore 64 computer (mid-1980s), I had both green and amber monitors for it.
I don't remember there being any significant difference between them as far as eyestrain is concerned.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a pair of Ray-Ban 3186 glasses that are sunglasses, but very light.

There is a picture of them here:

http://www.cyberpilotshop.com/item435.htm

I use them for computer work, they are amazing at making the day more tolerable!

There is an added bonus: They wrap around the eyes and block air from hitting the eyes.

Since getting Lasik, my eyes are more sensitive. I also feel I need some general protection for my eyes in general, I was always used to wearing glasses.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
EngrPaul said:
There is an added bonus: They wrap around the eyes and block air from hitting the eyes.

Since getting Lasik, my eyes are more sensitive. I also feel I need some general protection for my eyes in general, I was always used to wearing glasses.

You and I are in the same boat, EngrPaul. I have extremely dry eyes since having Lasik and I go through eyedrops like crazy. A wraparound pair of sunglasses like those can help.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wearing contacts my eyes dry out compared to wearing glasses looking at a CRT. I think it's cause the glasses filter UV, and the contacts don't, as not wearing either my eyes dry out the same as contacts.

One of those glare screens you put on the monitor might help, but those also darken the monitor and most of the time I have the brightness/contrast maxed out since this CRT is very dark. It tends to wash out things when I do that but I have to always mess with the brightness button when viewing pics. And adjusting the gama of my video results in washed out colors too.

But I like how sharp and crisp this CRT is and that it can do multiple resolutions that an LCD can't... Still I want to get an LCD some day.

argh nothing is perfect. darn compromises.

spock

Enlightened
photonwrangler, you might want to check the manual on your lcd for recommended hz. if not stated, it is usually 60hz. when i first got my lcd, i was running 85hz and it made the letters look "jagged" on the edges. lowering it to 60hz made them smoother. however, your lcd may not be affected.