U2 or A2?

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
I can't afford either at the time, but if I was to get one, what do you think would be a better choice? I like the adaptability of both, and I'm sure cree LEDs will make them even better. I am aware that incandescents are better for cutting throught fog etc, so I may get a G2 in the near future, and eventually a U2. I was originally leaning to the A2, but now I'm changing my mind. Can any of you give me some advice?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I find that the A2 has more to offer. I've played with both and own the A2. The only thing the U2 has that would even partially sway me is the bezel-down pocket clip..

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
What do you plan to use this light for? Bedside, car, diving, hiking? What are your requirements? Brightness, long runtime, true color rendition, etc.? We can't advise you unless you tell us your intended use. Be as specific as you can.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had my U2 for about one year. The big advantage I have found is that with the six levels you can always use the minimum amount of light you need in each situation thus improving your night vision by avoiding too much glare. You also get an acceptable life from the batteries.

Phredd

Enlightened
I just went through this decision with the Kroma. I thought it would be better to have an LED instead of the incandescant bulb. Take a look at this article on the A2 for a good perspective on the advantages of A2's regulated incandescant bulb.

Surefire A2 - More Than A Collection of Numbers

One of the things I love about the A2 is its great low-level flood due the placement of the LEDs in the reflector. I know you can control the level of the U2, but its the same beam, so I doubt its as wide.

Phredd

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and find them both very useful lights. The U2 has recently picked up a few points in my book because I bought a couple of 18650 to make it rechargeable. You can always dial in the amount of light you are going to need before ever turning the light on. It can also give you a rough estimate as to how much battery life you have left by the determining the highest level that you can turn it up to. The A2 is smaller and gives you access to two light levels instantly. The only thing in my book that would make the A2 better is if you could make it rechargeable. The barrel has such tight tolerances that only primary cells will fit in it. Either choice you make you really can't go wrong.

Paul

:rock:

batman

Enlightened
The A2 is compatible with rechargable cells as well although I don't remember which kind. There is a thread all about it here with people putting their A2s through over 100 charges of the rechargable battery setup with no problems. I hate rechargables so I don't know more than that though. I've played with a U2 and I've owned 3 A2s...i recommend the A2 my friend. The color temp is perfect, (3,300K) WHITE, with the broad range of electromagnetic radiation that only incans offer; WHich produces more natural color rendition, depth perception, clarity, throw, cutting through fog, etc that the narrow blip of radiation from an LED prevents.
LEDs will have to take a quantam leap forward in technology to beat the A2. Most incans are old school technology but the A2 is a timeless classic which will reign supreme for a loooon time after your U2 is in the trash.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
What benefit does the 6A have over either light?? It's a prefocused Xenon light, if I'm not mistaken, and at only one level. That'd be more of a comparison to the 6P, maybe, as a rechargable out of the gate option. Totally a different light.. let's say you want it dim to go to the bathroom without waking up someone else, would the 6A stand a snowball's chance??

WDR65

Enlightened
Both are great lights, I prefer the U2 over the A2 now. Though when I first tested the U2 I would have said the exact opposite, but after owning one for most of a year I use it much more than I use my A2. I think a U2 and G2 or E2e combo would work just fine in place of just having an A2, even if you do lose the regulated light output you gain a few extra minutes of runtime with the regular incandescents I prefer the U2's high beam to the A2's for its more useful flood surround and I also like the forty hour low beam which seems more useful for general walking around than the A2's flood, at least for me.

Both are great lights, you just need to compare them side by side if you have the opportunity.

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
I'm starting to think of going for the A2 again. I mean, I saw the prices, but for some reason, the U2's price of $280 USD just didn't register. And with the price of a G2... I don't think so. Maybe if I win some money, but for now (and much later I presume), the U2 is just a light to be coveted. And as of now, so is the A2. I really do love the idea of so many light options in such a simple format. And I wouldn't have to buy bulbs for it, as it's LED. No, for now I'll stick to cheaper lights, and when I can get the money together, I'll get an A2. It might be worth waiting for the cree version as well.

Also, for whoever was asking, my light would be mainly for general indoor use, with some city outdoors use, and I will use it in the woods etc in the summer.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say if you need a different color, like red to help preserve night adpated vision as much as possible than the A2 is the clear choice, but if you are looking for a good LED light that has enough light for some of the bigger jobs and evne the smaller ones the U2 is great, I would say paired with a G2 you would have fog cutting power and variable output.

greenLED

Flashaholic
GeorgePaul said:
What do you plan to use this light for? Bedside, car, diving, hiking? What are your requirements? Brightness, long runtime, true color rendition, etc.? We can't advise you unless you tell us your intended use. Be as specific as you can.
Great set of questions; thanks for asking them! :grin2:

Both lights under consideration are very different, and both have their pros and cons. About the really bad thing I can say about both is that after you get them, there really isn't any justification to get any other lights. :crazy:

I'm with AC - I don't see how a WE 6A can be any better than the U2 or the A2. :confused:

WDR65

Enlightened
Alteran,
Now that you've said that I have another suggestion. The Streamlight twin task 2L (2 cell lithium) was my first high output compact flashlight and its still a very good light. Its a little more complicated to use than the A2, but no too bad. You can pick one of these up for around $35 if I remember correctly. Also the Fenix L1D CE and L2D CE have a similar amount of output modes to the U2 and the L2D CE is brighter on high. I now have the L1D CE and find myself using it quite often and it seems to be the most useful LED flashlight I've owned yet with the exception of my U2. The L2D CE is running around $53 I think with the L1D being about a dollar less.

Though neither of these lights are as of high of quality as Surefire (IMO) they are both very good and quite practical for most applications.

batman

Enlightened
LEDs gradually burn off their brightness over time from what I have read. Plus, if you did manage to catastrophically break your LED emitter, I don't know if that's covered in SF warranty. Anyways, you can always replace an incan lamp assembly and be back to a brand new light again.

If you live in a place where it is not easy to procure parts for your surefire, stick with the U2 so you don't have to worry about the lamp assembly. Furthermore, CR123 batteries are extremely overpriced in some lesser developed countries and quality brands are imopossible to find, so fenix may be the better choice if you work for the peace corps.