Anyone have info on this Vintage flashlight?

cutlerylover

Banned
I was out shopping today at this big indoor fleamarket, and there was this stand where this guy was selling all kinds of WWII stuff and he also had some other odds and ends and I saw this flashlight...It seems to be brand new, there were 6 of them just like it so I bought them all...I couldn't help it, lol...Anyway they are 2D lights and made out of copper from what I can tell by the inside and maybe nickle plated? The switch has an off position, then you click it up 1 and then use the red button for momentary on...when you let go the light goes off, or you can click the switch up 2 spots for constant on...There is also a ring on the tailcap that goes down and slides inside the tailcap if its not in use...The tailcap has a logo of a bear head and it sais bear head brand...then underneath it sais made in china...Any additional info on this light would be great! The guy told me he bought them from a person who thought they were reproductions of a vintage light but he thought they were original...he had no more inof about the light though besides that they use 2D batteries...I took it apart and all I know abou the bulb is that it screws down into the light instead of say a maglite potted bulb that has the cap that keeps the bulb in...Anyone have any more info on these lights? Possibly a value? I would like to keep one but I do not need 6 of them...This would be a cool light to mod by the way...the vintage look maybe updated with a led and more battery power? By the way the lense is glass...the beamshot is kind of crappy but I guess you can't expect much from an old light like this..maybe I am just spoiled with my new flashlights...

IMGP6648.jpg

IMGP6649.jpg

IMGP6646.jpg

IMGP6645.jpg

IMGP6650.jpg

DM51

Flashaholic
Someone posted recently about picking up a light just like this in Hong Kong. I can't remember who it was - could have been AW, or Mark at LF?

It looks very like one I had I was about 10 years old (that was a looooooooong time ago).

The beamshot says it all - maybe 2 lumens flat out! Might be fun to beef it up with a mod.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I had one just like that as a child. I distinctly remember that red button for momentary on/off. I think mine was an Eveready though, and was probably made in the USA.

**Edit** I just looked through the index at the Flashlight Museum and I couldn't find it. I also looked through all of the Evereadys so I could be wrong as to it's heritage.

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned
After some research online I found an everyready thats very similar in style (has the same switch with the red button too) so maybe this model was a copy of the original everyready version?

These are the qestions I would like to know...

1) Is this light really vintage, or is it just the style?
2) If it is vintage does anyone one know about when they were made?
3) Any infomon the value would be great because I was thinking about selling a few of them...

Illum

Flashaholic
when I visited china, thats what they had in the flashlight aisle...old style vintage flashlights, lousy reflector and thin steel casing, didnt see any of the good stuff china lights you see here

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I bought a couple of these new off EBAY from someone who was selling them for under $3 delivered. Since they have a screw in bulb the options for modding are kind of limited. Very thin metal, cheaply made.

cutlerylover

Banned
I agree, they are not the best lights in the world, but I bought them because I thought they were cool since I do not own any vintage lights...I think I am going to keep one of them just to have in the Ol' collection and I will either sell the other ones or add them to flashlight trades as bonus lights...

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seriously doubt these are vintage. I've seen that exact style in half a dozen brands recently. I even owned one at one point. All made in China, all fairly recent.

Mike L.

Newly Enlightened
I have two of those. Appears to be a new repro of a vintage light.
Tektite makes 2 different 1-watt LED screw-in modules that will make it a useful, if not great, light. One is a side-emitter and the other contains circuitry that adapts to different voltages. You will probably pay more for the LED module than you did for the lights.
These lights are retro fun, and don't cost a bunch.

--Mike L.

cutlerylover

Banned
Mike L. said:
These lights are retro fun, and don't cost a bunch.

--Mike L.

Thats why I bought them...Thanks guys for your help! I have come to the conclusion that they are reporductions of vintage style lights becuase what are the chances that this guy had 6 vintage lights all brand new, and sold them for a VERY reasonable price...not likely...I like them anyway though, I will try to trade a few of them off for other things, but I think I will still keep one or two for kicks anyway...I think they will look nice in my display case...Thanks again for all the help and quick info! I appreciate it! :grin2:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look very nice, but I doubt, as you, that they really are vintage. When I'm in India, these are actually the type of lights that most people buy new and use (and there are a lot of blackouts where I usually stay, or not much electricity at all, out in the bush). Seems like some designs don't go out of style at some places.

cutlerylover

Banned
LiteBrite said:
If I may ask, how much did you pay for them?

The guy wanted $10 a piece but I talked him down to $5 each since I was going to buy all 6...He ended up charging me $25 so he gave me the last one free...I always like to bargain with people on prices...My family always laughed at me when I do that, but why not try right? Can't hurt...9 out of 10 times I do that the person gives me a better price...I wish I could do the same at say...Walmart, lol..