My observations - Surefire A2 vs. Kroma

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

First off, I'm going to re-post something I wrote in a different thread - regarding the Surefire A2:

I don't currently own an A2 - but I did last year (Red LED version). I'm going to buy another one either today or Monday... probably a White LED version.

I absolutely LOVE the A2 - it's a fantastic and very under-rated light. It's exactly the right size for EDC and ergonomics, and the incandescent beam is nearly perfect for outdoor hiking and camping uses. The bulb is soft-start, I never burned one out on mine before I sold it... and it stays the same brightness throughout the life of the battery due to excellent regulation.

I currently own a Kroma, among my other Surefire lights... and I was hoping that it would replace the A2 I sold so I wouldn't need to buy another one. It hasn't - for two reasons. While I completely LOVE the features of the Kroma, it isn't quite as pocketable for EDC as the A2 was, and I really, REALLY miss the nice coloration of the incandescent beam. I have YET to find an LED light that matches the A2 for color preservation in the wilderness and depth-perception-retention (if that makes sense...) or the nice warm tone that the light gives to everything it shines on. It makes LED lights seem cold, harsh, and somewhat ghostly by comparison.
OK then... it's pretty clear what I think of the A2, but that's not the ENTIRE story here. Let me start at the beginning.

When I purchased my A2 near the beginning of 2006, I had a lot of reservations. I considered the purchase to be somewhat foolish - I was paying top dollar for a light that (at least from the standpoint of specifications) seemed somewhat obsolete or outdated. I had been checking out A2's every time I went into sporting goods and gun stores for 2 or 3 years BEFORE I actually bought mine, and kept telling myself that it was an overpriced and underperforming light. Again - 2 or 3 YEARS of this, almost every time I saw an A2 in a display case I just had to take ONE MORE LOOK. Why did I keep dismissing the light yet keep coming back to it?

I finally decided that the only way to "cut through" this strange obsession was to just buy the damned thing - try it out for a while, and maybe sell it at a small loss a few weeks later. Then the surprises began.

I found that I actually LOVED the light, despite the short runtime, fragile and (at least in my mind) obsolete incandescent bulb... and reversed pocket clip. It rapidly became my EDC light, and took on the position of THE light I would grab when going camping. Something about the properties of the incandescent bulb were just RIGHT, it really did seem like daylight when I walked around in the woods or desert at night. The other thing I loved about the light was that I had purchased the Red LED version - which was ideal for one of my other obsessions, Astronomy. I could look at star charts, change telescope eyepieces, and generally navigate around the scope and car without destroying my dark-adapted vision. The A2 was just RIGHT for me... in all the right ways.

Fast forward.

Sometime in the later half of 2006, I learned about the Surefire Kroma. I decided that I just HAD to buy one - it seemed to have all of the advantages of the A2, and none of the disadvantages. I proceeded to sell my A2, and get together the cash for the Kroma. However... I couldn't find one locally, and didn't want to mail order one (where it would be a big hassle to exchange if there was a problem). It took a few months to find a local dealer who was willing to stock them, and for him to eventually get a few in stock. I ended up buying one shortly after Christmas of 2006, and gave it a spin.

At first, I was THRILLED by the Kroma. It seemed like everything I had wanted... and more. However... there were a few nagging things about it that made me start to think I might have made a mistake - not in buying the Kroma, but in getting rid of the A2. Let me be more specific. The Kroma is a light I will never sell or get rid of - it's just too perfect for what it is. However... what it IS is not what an A2 IS - if that makes sense. The Kroma has exceptional battery life. It has a perfectly shaped beam. It has the Red mode that I love so much for Astronomy and late-night walking around the house... and it has a Blue mode that seems ideal for signalling or blood-tracking (though I haven't yet tried it for real-world hunting...). I love the black HA coating of the Kroma, and the ring selector is the perfect user interface for such a complex set of features. HOWEVER....

The Kroma is not as pocketable. It has a large bezel that kind of digs into my leg when carried in my left pant pocket (where I've always carried my main EDC light...). It is heavier than the A2 - not as pleasant to carry and use for long-term. The tailcap on the Kroma is stiff - no amount of silicon lube seems to make it easer to turn. The pocket clip on the Kroma is oriented correctly - but it has a wire-frame goofiness about it that just doesn't seem as solid and rugged as the A2's solid spring clip. And finally, my biggest complaint - the nature of the Kroma's light is just NOT in the same realm as the A2's incandescent.

I am buying a new A2 tomorrow. I have not decided yet if I will buy a Red or a White LED version - I'm strongly leaning toward the white because I found out about a Red filter I can place over the bezel for astronomy use... and white light is better all-around when night vision preservation isn't the main issue. I will DEFINITELY keep it this time, no thoughts of selling it next time some wonder-light comes along with the promise of replacing it - I'm starting to think the A2 might be one of those rare lights that is timeless and CAN'T be replaced. I will also keep my Kroma - I really love that light and want to eventually mod it for CREE and maybe change the blue LED's to UV if that ever becomes possible. The Kroma is an amazing light in it's own way, and will always have a place in my collection.

In short, I've drawn up a comparison between the two lights - some of this is subjective, and some of it is factually inarguable. Here goes:

Surefire Kroma Advantages (Pros)
=========================
Longer battery life in all modes
More flexible lighting modes - 2 white, 2 red, 2 blue
Nice HA Black finish
Correctly oriented pocket clip
Beautifully designed magnetic ring user interface
More reliable main light source - won't burn out

Surefire Kroma Disadvantages (Cons)
===========================
Very stiff tailcap, not sure if it will ever lighten up
"Cold" LED main beam - not as nice as Incandescent
Pocket clips seems (at least to me) to be inferior to A2
Large Bezel, not as easy to EDC
Heavier than A2 - not as pleasant to use long-term

Surefire A2 Aviator Advantages (Pros)
============================
Lighter weight, more pleasant to use long-term
Small Bezel - easier to EDC
Better pocket clip (at least in my opinion)
Sweeeeeeet Incandescent main light - has no LED equal
Nice smooth easy rotating tailcap
Extremely simple user interface... 2-Stage tailcap

Surefire A2 Aviator Disadvantages (Cons)
===============================
Shorter run-time for all modes
Fragile main beam bulb, burns out and not shock-proof
Not as flexible with lighting modes, only one color for LED's
Pocket clip is incorrectly oriented

So... there you have it. The best comparison I can come up with that doesn't include beamshots - but when comparing these 2 flashlights, beamshots don't really tell the whole story, especially with regard to the unique properties of the A2's incandescent lighting.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:

firefly99

Enlightened
Atomic_Chicken said:
the nature of the Kroma's light is just NOT in the same realm as the A2's incandescent.Bawko
hi Bawko,
Glad you finally realise the true and value of each light. I love my A2 with white LED, it is definitely a keeper.

Just wish that there are more people who would take a plunge and try out the A2. Instead of looking at the A2 specs and comparing it with LED such as cree.

Scott112

Newly Enlightened
This is a great comparison of these 2 lights, and I completely agree with the comments on the A2. I also agonized over the A2 for months before finally taking the plunge, and I've loved it ever since. While I don't yet own a Kroma, I'll add my 2 cents:

- Price: The A2 is much less expensive than the Kroma
- A2 mod: After Milkyspit upgraded the LED's on my A2, I would never live with a standard A2. The new LED's are fantastic, although possibly a bit too bright for some sittuations.
- With the rapidly evolving LED technology, I wonder if the Kroma will become "obsolete" before the A2 with its wonderful incan.
- Throw: I don't know about the Kroma, but the A2 incan is a bit underpowered for me in a lot of sittuations, and I frequently grab my 9P (w/rechargables) instead.
- Neither of these lights are small enough for me to EDC, since I normally don't pocket carry anything larger than a Fenix P1.

SunStar

Enlightened
I prefer the Kroma. However, if the A2 could provide 100 lumens (SF Rating) in the same / similar package, I'd take it and never look back. Although the A2 incandescent is very nice, I just find it somewhat anemic for my use.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

SunStar said:
I prefer the Kroma. However, if the A2 could provide 100 lumens (SF Rating) in the same / similar package, I'd take it and never look back. Although the A2 incandescent is very nice, I just find it somewhat anemic for my use.
Interesting comment. You state that you prefer the Kroma, and go on to say that you find the A2 a bit "anemic" for your use. You are aware that the Kroma is rated the same as the A2 for light output (both 50 Lumens), and that the A2 actually out-throws the Kroma on high (and is more like 75-85 Lumens in actuality) aren't you? Or do you prefer the Kroma for reasons other than light output?

Personally, as I've already stated, I find both lights to be fantastic in their own way... I can't honestly say which one I would choose to keep if I could only have one.

Best wishes,
Bawko

benighted

Enlightened
One of the things I also noticed about the Kroma was how hard and how far you have to turn the tailcap, whereas with the A2 I can easily turn it with one hand.

SunStar

Enlightened
Atomic_Chicken said:
Greetings!

Interesting comment. You state that you prefer the Kroma, and go on to say that you find the A2 a bit "anemic" for your use. You are aware that the Kroma is rated the same as the A2 for light output (both 50 Lumens), and that the A2 actually out-throws the Kroma on high (and is more like 75-85 Lumens in actuality) aren't you? Or do you prefer the Kroma for reasons other than light output?

Best wishes,
Bawko

Exactly. I prefer the overall package of the Kroma to the A2 and find it to be very versatile. I use the multi-level red / blue leds quite often for various tasks nightly and rarely use the 50 lumen high except for intermittent spot lighting (nice feature). When I need power or am outdoors, I normally reach for an incandescent. In this case, the A2 just as the P60 leaves me wanting more. I find the Kroma low-red perfect for night adapted vision and / or "stealthy" navigation. The blue leds offer a great flood for indoor use and provide just the right output for navigating woods illuminating spider webs and blood trails without destroying dark adaptation. I should add though that in "woods" use, I always carry a strong incandescent for back-up - thus my reasoning for desiring a stronger A2. I dig the A2 concept and would most likely purchase any regulated incandescent that SF brings to market - but for my use, I prefer a minimum of 100 lumens. In regards to throw... in my experience outdoors, side by side, the A2 only slightly edges the Kroma and not enough so that it wins over the extra versatility of the Kroma.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

SunStar said:
Exactly. I prefer the overall package of the Kroma to the A2 and find it to be very versatile. I use the multi-level red / blue leds quite often for various tasks nightly and rarely use the 50 lumen high except for intermittent spot lighting (nice feature). When I need power or am outdoors, I normally reach for an incandescent. In this case, the A2 just as the P60 leaves me wanting more. I find the Kroma low-red perfect for night adapted vision and / or "stealthy" navigation. The blue leds offer a great flood for indoor use and provide just the right output for navigating woods illuminating spider webs and blood trails without destroying dark adaptation. I should add though that in "woods" use, I always carry a strong incandescent for back-up - thus my reasoning for desiring a stronger A2. I dig the A2 concept and would most likely purchase any regulated incandescent that SF brings to market - but for my use, I prefer a minimum of 100 lumens. In regards to throw... in my experience outdoors, side by side, the A2 only slightly edges the Kroma and not enough so that it wins over the extra versatility of the Kroma.
I feel almost the same way... the Kroma is a remarkably versatile light that offers many features the A2 can't match. I don't have quite as much preference for the Kroma as you do, and in some ways it's hard to know WHICH of the two I prefer! As I stated in my original post, both lights are "keepers" in my collection - I'll probably continue to EDC my Kroma on and off, even though I purchased a pair of A2's (one Red, one White) today. However... my main EDC will most likely shift to my White A2 - I really miss that compact, light package with the simple 2-stage user interface.

Regarding the rest of your post, your intended uses are a bit different than mine... I don't carry the strong incandescent backup light that you do when I'm in the wilderness. I typically take my Kroma (or my A2, last year) and an L1 or L2 as a backup... and end up using my Inova 24/7 headlamp for most "around the camp" uses. Since I now have an A2 again, it will likely take the Kroma's place as my camping main light... with my Kroma taking the place of the L1 or L2 as the backup light (and main light in some situations, I'm sure!). It will be interesting to see how these 2 lights complement each other - today is the first day I've owned both at the same time! However... none of this changes the essential value of the points you made - the Kroma really has a lot going for it and very few drawbacks!

As for the "Stronger (brighter) A2" concept you brought up - that would be excellent. I'm hoping that Lumens Factory will eventually come out with a 100Lumen A2 bulb... but I'm not holding my breath. I suspect that the A2 is probably as good as it will ever get for an incandescent hybrid - which is fine by me. While there is still some room for improvement, the handheld flashlight world seems to be going the way of the LED... the A2 may end up being the pinnacle of a fading age.

My hope is that sometime in the next few years, Surefire will release an A2-sized Kroma semi-equivalent. I could live without the incandescent beam (even though I love it so much...) if I could get a decent easy-to-EDC package (read A2 or L4 size) light with dim red, dim-to-medium white, and bright white modes. A 100+ Lumen CREE emitter would make it a near perfect light... and some kind of REALLY simple user interface like the A2's 2-Stage (with maybe a fast on-off-on button press to change from dim Red to dim White modes) would be ideal. Of course... the ULTIMATE incarnation of this trend will occur when LED's finally match Incandescents wide-spectrum color temperature sometime in the (maybe not so...) far future.

I'll still keep my A2 and Kroma though... regardless of new developments - they're both works of art in my opinion! :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

Last edited:

SunStar

Enlightened
Congratulations on the the (2) A2's!! I agree... the A2 and Kroma are both keepers and from an EDC perspective, the A2 is more pocketable.

Aside, I guess the reason I am so lumen hungry in the woods is that I normally trek where run-ins with wild boar, alligators, coyote and the occasional cougar are the norm. I like to see eyes ahead (or behind) of me about 200 yards out as a clear indicator that something is there even if I can't identify what it is.

So I guess neither the A2 or Kroma takes on a "sole" role for me unless I'm traveling. When flying, I find both to be useful and somewhat comforting to have (at the risk of sounding silly).

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Scott112 said:
This is a great comparison of these 2 lights, and I completely agree with the comments on the A2. I also agonized over the A2 for months before finally taking the plunge, and I've loved it ever since. While I don't yet own a Kroma, I'll add my 2 cents:

- Price: The A2 is much less expensive than the Kroma
- A2 mod: After Milkyspit upgraded the LED's on my A2, I would never live with a standard A2. The new LED's are fantastic, although possibly a bit too bright for some sittuations.
- With the rapidly evolving LED technology, I wonder if the Kroma will become "obsolete" before the A2 with its wonderful incan.
- Throw: I don't know about the Kroma, but the A2 incan is a bit underpowered for me in a lot of sittuations, and I frequently grab my 9P (w/rechargables) instead.
- Neither of these lights are small enough for me to EDC, since I normally don't pocket carry anything larger than a Fenix P1.
A couple of questions and comments regarding your post.

First off, I'm curious what LED's you had Milkyspit mod into your A2. How does the color compare? The thing I mainly dislike about the A2's White LED is the blue tint - it's pretty harsh. Do the new LED's get rid of that?

Second... the throw on the A2 seems better to me than the throw on the Kroma - especially in the horrible pollution haze we've had here at night the last few days.

Third... I've also considered the idea that the Kroma will be obsolete long before the A2 - but I'm thinking of modding it for CREE when that becomes possible, then replacing the blue LED's with UV's to give it all that much more utility for my purposes.

Finally, As for the EDC part of your post - it kind of made me grin a bit. I actually carried both my Kroma as well as my Red A2 in my left pant pocket today, just to see how cumbersome it would be. I dropped the A2 into a thin cloth eyeglasses holder so the two lights wouldn't scratch each other, and went the whole day with both lights in my left pocket. Quite workable, but not something I'd want to do every day! :)

Best wishes,
Bawko