about the cree lights

goose

Newly Enlightened
I hope i wont make you laugh too hard but. What is the diffrence between the regular LED light and the Cree lights??

Sasha

Newuser01

Enlightened
They are the same in a technical point of view. "LED lights"

Cree will run either longer or brighter or somewhere in between - comparing to Lux or other types of led lights.
Cree is the latest as they will be brighter, runs longer and do not generate as much heat.

In general, Cree or Cree die based lights are better if you can efford it.

Regards.

dirobesh

Enlightened
It's a very good question - don't feel bad about asking it :)

basically the cree is twice as efficient (roughly) as the "older" luxeons, which means it can put out twice as much light without using any more energy, or conversly, put out the same light, but using half the battery power.

By the way, welcome to CPF - it's a great place but can do serious damage to your wallet!

goose

Newly Enlightened
Oh i already know how expansive of a hobby this can be lol. Thank you for explaining the diffrence.

sasha

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wait a year, cree's will be "old" by then!
One thing though is that eventually, efficiency will approach a physical limit since you can't get more energy out (in the form of light) than you put in (in the form of electricity). Right now the Cree emitters are about a quarter of the maximum theoretical efficiency for a white light source based on some estimates I've seen thrown around on these boards before. With a green light source -- since the eye is most sensitive to yellow/green light -- you could make a light even more efficient, but it won't be very useful. This is actually the reason why the yellow sodium lights are so efficient -- they put out a yellow (589 nanometer wavelength) that is very near the eye's peak sensitivity (555nm). However, those lights are totally unsuitable where color recognition is important.

However, as LED efficiency begins to approach a limit, LEDs will continue to improve in other ways -- including color rendering/light quality, and the ability to run single LEDs at higher power.

Another thing to consider is that Seoul Semiconductor (SSC) and Edison LEDs are both based on the Cree LED, so they have similar efficiency, but packaged different optics which gives them different properies. For example, the Seoul projects more light out to the side, so more light can be focused into a tight beam in lights that use reflectors.

Last edited:

goose

Newly Enlightened
Its amazing how tech is moving forward at such speed.

Sasha