is this a good soldering iron?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool it gets hot quick i know that.i still cant solder to good but i like to practice

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've always found soldering a project to settle my nerves and allow me to focus. It takes my mind off the day to day cr*p and gives me a sense of accomplishment. I hope it will do the same for you!

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey if it gets hot..practice makes perfect. soldering is fun..keep your tip clean and tinned, esp. after you're done with it and it will last longer.. anddon't be shy with the flux..

if you want to see a 'dream' unit check out the Metcal.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
darn it i forgot to by flux.im cenile i swear.there fun to play with .plus soldering can be a helpfull trait

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
for the price and the looks, it seems good to me :)

yea, flux rocks and make soldering so much easier.

remember that solder with lead in them takes a lower temperature to melt and solder with NO lead needs a higher temp.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hect im not sure if i even got solder to solder with maybe its plumber solder it saysmg chemicals rohs compliant no clean lead free solder catalog number 4900-112g

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
hect im not sure if i even got solder to solder with maybe its plumber solder it saysmg chemicals rohs compliant no clean lead free solder catalog number 4900-112g

I just looked it up and it's lead free solder for electronics work. You're good to go, Raggie.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol good it was like 8 bucks ..ill proably solder some old mobos latter

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the price, it looks good.
You can always practice soldering two wires together.
Piece of cake. :)

Something like loudspeaker wire is a good start.

If you get the hang of that, then you are set for setting up a "distance" run from your stereo hifi to your speakers. :rock:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I first learned solderin' by buiding big mountain-cages of unbent paperclips (kind of like the mashed potatos in close encounters) paper clips solder easy, you need a good needle nose pliers to shape the ends though..

Latest posts