New Question:X1 LED colors...

flash_bang

Enlightened
Ok, I got an inova microlight at my local Target yesterday, I'm trying to figure out if I got a "new" or "old" one. I haven't seen microlights defined as generations but here goes. I would like you guys to help me identify it as new or old.

it is has a white beam
it opens by prying off the bottom half of the case
it has one button switch that you can toggle btwn high, low, strobe, then "unlock", I suppose, a momentary on feature
has a clip
the rubber part is all rubber, no gaps

I think that's about it
the ones I've seen on sites have it opening by removing the rubber thing and they have a switch for constant on/off

thx a ton guys, and no matter if it's new or old, I still enjoy it! plus I'll prolly get one of the new ones in green and red, and blue, maybe white again :laughing::):laughing:

Last edited:

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
Re: Can you help me identify this?

I dont think Inova has different generations of the microlight. The only differences I have ever seen in them are the ones @ target with the colored rubber/clear body and the "tactical" ones that are just grey with black rubber no matter what coler the LED is. These are great keychain lights and Inova, imo, has had no reason yet for a second generation. You have the newest style I have ever seen...
Hope that helps!!
Dave

flash_bang

Enlightened

sweet! the only thing that I have to combat your idea that there are no generations is that mine does not have the slide switch on the bottom and others do. more specifically the one reviewed on flashlightreviews.com. that site says it was reviewed in 2001, the inova site with the same model as the review, says 2005, my packaging, on the other hand is 2006. interesting that they haven't updated their site, eh?
thx a lot firefighter05!
never seen your sig before, congrats!

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened

I have the old style with the extra slide switch and the new style without the slide switch. I like the new style a lot. It will turn itself off if left on in high mode after 4 and a half minutes.

Vyzygoth rocks!

flash_bang

Enlightened

ok, just about 3 more people to tell me this is the new version w/o the slide switch and the auto shut-off, and I will be elated!!! (partly in surprise at my luck, and partly in surprise that target happened to have the new one [which is kinda one-in-the-same])

flash_bang

Enlightened

I found the "tactical" ones at gi joe's, but they were $2 more than the Target ones, 8.99 up from 6.99, and what's stranger, at gi joe's the green ones, "tactical" style, were 9.99, and they only had one, I prolly should've gotten it, but I didn't, o well, they had a ton of the other colors. methinks I'd get one each of the tactical ones and hopefully use a coupon or something.
does anyone have an idea why the green ones would be "so much" more than the others? thanks a ton, you guys have been a great help!

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened

Ok, a previous generation of microlight is news to me. Sorry for the mislead info...
Dave

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are 2 generations of Inova Microlight.

The 1st generation had a constant on/off slide switch.

The 2nd generation, which came out hrmm maybe 16-18 months ago has a 4-way electronic switch ala Photon Microlight.

There's really no such thing as a 'tactical' version. They're ether 'clear' body or 'black body.

There are some special ones for military application, like the IR models that sometimes (ordering crapshoot) have an anodized black, rather than Stainless steel clip and are made in both clear and back bodies. You won't find these in target. :)

There's no reason for the colored LED models to cost more as Inova charges the same for them - more likely a reflection of a stock situation. IR models do cost more.

FWIW we sell the Microlights(either body, any color LED) for $5.49 (except for the IR version which is $11.49).

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened

By the way, Matt - at least one of the pictures shows the old style microlight with a blue slide switch. It kept me from ordering for a while, but I finally took a chance and it is indeed the new style.

Vyzygoth rocks!

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yah - in typical Inova fashion there's never been updated pics, or catalogs, or marketing stuff. We'll lose the pic slowing the slide later today.

flash_bang

Enlightened

Okay, new question. if I end up getting an X1, which LED color would you guys recommend? I might get a green glo-toob and maybe a red microlight so I guess my options are blue and white, because I don't need another red light and I would pick red for close up/ night-vision-preserving work anyways. I don't go hunting and I'm not in forensics, so not sure how blue/green would benefit me. Don't have a NVD either, so IR would be really pointless. I was thinking of getting the Inovas from Battery Junction, have you guys had good luck with them? also, I have a good source for the 2032 button cells for the red inova that might be in my future, but the 2016's are always about 3 bucks a shot, so I'm basically paying the same price/a high % of the light's price for batteries alone! I'm trying to ask if 1 or 2 2032's will work in the white microlight that I have, what a source for cheap 2016's are (besides online), and which color of X1 I should get (I've already pretty much decided on the black finish, but if it's not HA'd somewhat, then I might jump for the Ti version.)
thanks so much, and I thank you for your imminent reply!

[EDIT] I forgot to ask, but if I order from Battery Junction, can I specify that I would prefer the anodized clip? or any other store for that matter (online, b/c at a store I could just paw thru the shelf)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
flash_bang - The anodized clips are pretty rare and were basically a special order item used primarily for military orders and used to occasionally randomly appear on IR models; as far as I know no one stocks Microlights with them.

FWIW we carry 2016's (and 2032's) for $2.50 or less in quantity for 5pcs in generic or like $1 for Energizers.

Alll Inova X and T series lights as HAIII AFAIK.

I'd go with a white LED unless you have a need/application for one with a colored LED.