LED Battle: Old school vs. New school ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
I just finished some custom work for a forum member and decided to take some indoor and outdoor shots to compare these lights, along with some of mine, but specially to compare the old school LED (Luxeon 5W) vs. the new school (Seoul 3W).

Lights:
- Custom Purple mini 1C: Seoul P4 U bin, running from a single 18650 cell on a Wizard2 @ 750mA

- Custom McG45 : W bin Lux 5 running from 2x18650 cells on a Bflex @ 1Amp

- Custom Turbo LED Module: W bin Lux 5 @ 750mA

- Custom Turbo LED Module: Seoul P4 U bin at 1Amp

NOTE: Both Turbo LED Modules running out of SF M6 running 6x Primary Cells on OEM battery holder.

All shots with Canon Rebel XT with Canon 24-105/F4 "L" lens. Manual exposure, automatic White balance, manual focus, on tripod. Aperture fixed for all shots at F5.5, lens set to 24mm. By the way, the indoor pictures show an "exaggerated" tint. In real life the tint is less noticeable.

Indoor shots (2 and 1 second exposures):
1C Mag (Seoul) - 2 second exposure:
IMG_9454.JPG

1C Mag (Seoul) - 1 second exposure:
IMG_9455.JPG

McG45 (Lux 5) - 2 second exposure:
IMG_9456.JPG

McG45 (Lux 5) - 1 second exposure:
IMG_9457.JPG

Turbo LED (Seoul) - 2 second exposure:
IMG_9458.JPG

Turbo LED (Seoul) - 1 second exposure:
IMG_9459.JPG

Turbo LED (Lux 5) - 2 second exposure:
IMG_9460.JPG

Turbo LED (Lux 5) - 1 second exposure:
IMG_9461.JPG

Outdoor shots. All done at 3.2 seconds. Pointing at two "targets" to compare spill and throw.
1C Mag (Seoul) - close target:
IMG_9463.JPG

1C Mag (Seoul) - far target:
IMG_9464.JPG

McG45 (Lux 5) - close target:
IMG_9465.JPG

McG45 (Lux 5) - far target:
IMG_9466.JPG

Turbo LED (Lux 5) - close target:
IMG_9467.JPG

Turbo LED (Lux 5) - far target:
IMG_9468.JPG

Turbo LED (Seoul) - close target:
IMG_9469.JPG

Turbo LED (Seoul) - far target:
IMG_9470.JPG

So, who wins? :naughty:

Will

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice pics! :goodjob: The LuxV's driven hard still can compete with the CREE's and Seoul's, but they do lack in the throw department. Your pics are a good illustration of that.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Nebula said:
Actually, ME :grin2:

Will - nice beam shots. That McG45 can still hold its own with the new guys on the market. :goodjob: Thanks for everything.
icon14.gif
Kirk
Yes, "you" win - those are in fact your lights (McG45 and 1C M*g) before I packed them lastnight ;)

Strauss said:
Very nice pics! :goodjob: The LuxV's driven hard still can compete with the CREE's and Seoul's, but they do lack in the throw department. Your pics are a good illustration of that.
Yes, they do compete in output, but power-wise the Seoul LED is more efficient. The kick-*** combination is really the Lux 5 with the mighty 45mm McGizmo textured reflector. That reflector is just plain awesome !!!

Will

r0b0r

Enlightened
Why is the Seoul not being run at 1A also?
Would that not be a more fair comparison?

havand

Enlightened
I think we're forgetting costs too...How much did that SSC led cost compared to those lux5? Half the price? Atleast? Good to see old lights still produce light :p I actually am suprised. Several of the shots, I actually prefer the lux5, because the SSC is too much of a pinpoint. Illuminating an object is fine, but it seems that if you don't have it in context (of its surroundings) it's not as useful?

Catapult

Enlightened
I don't think the Luxeon 5 is old yet, considering that the mainstream is still 5mm Nichias, Luxeon 1's and 3's. It's still one of the brightest contenders in the market. It seems LED technology is beginning to move a little too far ahead of itself though. With brighter, more efficient LEDs popping up, once supplies become available, manufacturers might make the jump and skip the Luxeon 5 altogether. Who knows, maybe something even better will show itself before the latest LEDs make it into the general market. I'm starting to wonder if I should wait for those beamshots before I reach for my wallet.

Last edited:

Led_Blind

Enlightened
LuxV's have poor efficency compared with their lux1 and III companions. What i would reeeeealy love to see is a the same luxV design but using the EZ1000 die used in XR-e and seul leds....

Now, drive that puppy at 5 watts (1.25 per die) and get 250+lumens.... :) :) :) Wait, lets try 10w heheheh

edit... its the end of a long work day and i am going nuts. Please join in

wquiles

Flashaholic
Calina said:
All very nice.
Now let's talk about runtimes
evilgrin07.gif
Thanks for the work!
You are welcomed :eek:

Runtime-wise, the Lux 3 and Seoul's would win hands down :naughty:

r0b0r said:
Why is the Seoul not being run at 1A also?
Would that not be a more fair comparison?
One of them was (in the Turbo LED Module). Basically I had:
- Two Lux 5's vs. two Seoul 3W's.
- One of each at 750mA and one at 1Amp.

Just not in the same/identical hosts/reflectors, so it is hard to do "exact" comparisons ;)

havand said:
I think we're forgetting costs too...How much did that SSC led cost compared to those lux5? Half the price? Atleast? Good to see old lights still produce light :p I actually am suprised. Several of the shots, I actually prefer the lux5, because the SSC is too much of a pinpoint. Illuminating an object is fine, but it seems that if you don't have it in context (of its surroundings) it's not as useful?
Absolutely, the Lux 5's were more expensive, but as you noted, they do cover the area well, specially with the 45mm reflector. For plain throw, the Seoul in the Turbo LED Module kicks butt!

Will

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother is shipping back my WX1S LuxeonV Mag after using it for 8 months :) I think it is time to bump up the output to 1,000mA and let the LuxeonV Star burn brightly until it gets replaced this fall.

Alas, the days of the $45 LuxeonV are numbered... the king is dead, all hail the new king!