Lunar Eclipse here in Tenerife

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunar eclipse tonight, 5:45 EST, reddish light expected!

Full lunar eclipse tonight, starting 5:45 eastern standard time and lasting for about 1 hr.

Supposedly because the sun's rays will still be reaching the moon after being reflected from the Earth's atmosphere, we will get an interesting reddish glow.

just thought to mention it, given everyone's here interest in light!

I'll just get ready my Lumapower M1 (Luma---get it? how appropriate is that? :laughing: ) and head out!

let's compare experiences after in this thread.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lunar eclipse tonight, 5:45 EST, reddish light expected!

Thanks for the heads up! Will try to take some pics if conditions are right.

scubasteve1942

Enlightened

That you for the info. I hope its not cloudy here tonight.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm still waiting for a full-blown solar eclipse in my area. So far, It's always been partial and always on a cloudy day.

Lunar eclipses are best when they happen when the moon is on the horizon. The atmosphere already magnfies and reddens the moon.

It looks like today's eclipse will be low in the sky. It starts around sunset (5:49 around here), so the moon will just be rising.

Thanks for the heads-up!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sweet, an auspicious sign. The weather's awesome here today. Not a cloud in the sky.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast

you've probably heard this one--

An astronomer is on an expedition to Darkest Africa to observe a total eclipse of the sun, which will only be observable there, when he's captured by cannibals. The eclipse is due the next day around noon. To gain his freedom he plans to pose as a god and threaten to extinguish the sun if he's not released, but the timing has to be just right. So, in the few words of the cannibals' primative tongue that he knows, he asks his guard what time they plan to kill him.

The guard's answer is, "Tradition has it that captives are to be killed when the sun reaches the highest point in the sky on the day after their capture so that they may be cooked and ready to be served for the evening meal".

"Great", the astronomer replies.

The guard continues, though, "But because everyone's so excited about it, in your case we're going to wait until after the eclipse."

dulridge

Enlightened

flashy bazook said:
Full lunar eclipse tonight, starting 5:45 eastern standard time and lasting for about 1 hr.

Supposedly because the sun's rays will still be reaching the moon after being reflected from the Earth's atmosphere, we will get an interesting reddish glow.

just thought to mention it, given everyone's here interest in light!

I'll just get ready my Lumapower M1 (Luma---get it? how appropriate is that? :laughing: ) and head out!

let's compare experiences after in this thread.

Last lunar eclipse here was a few years ago. The moon wasn't a reddish colour this time, but a deep brown. Drove to a beach about 10 miles out of town to get away from the light pollution and have a betteer look.

Lots of others had the same idea - pity they all left their headlights on - kinda spoiled the point :(

Enjoy yourself

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Friggin clouds :(

brighter

Newly Enlightened

The clouds went away and I can see it clearly now (I'm from Croatia). It's dark orange/red! But the solar eclipse is far far better to experience, we went to Hungary to see total solar eclipse back in 1999 (11.august) and it was amazing. I will always remember that feeling...

betalight

Newly Enlightened

Lets fool the world......

Every CPFer should gather their lights and shine them at the moon tonight!

What eclipse?

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for pointing this eclipse out Flashy, it spurred me to action. I took the wife and three kids and one of their friends to a hilltop park that has a great view towards the east. Its a fourty minute hike up trails that I have hiked and mountain biked on extensively. We got there right about sunset. No one else was there. Clouds in the distance obscured the moon at that point but they were moving away. We built a small campfire to keep the kids busy. I made some hot chocolate on my beer-can alcohol stove. About 30 minutes later, soon after it got dark, my wife noticed the moon. It was in full eclipse! In the binoculars I had it was spectacular. With binocs the full moon is too bright to see details well but with the eclipse you can see amazing details, and the rusty red color makes it stunning! We all had a great time watching the eclipse progress.

The hike down gave me a great opportunity to show my wife why I need so many lights! :naughty: I gave each person two lights. "Everyone needs to have a backup light Honey." They were given Streamlight Corona headlamp & Nuwai 253 [Lux V]; SL ProPoly 4AA Lux & Mag w Terralux; SL ProPoly 4AA Lux & Peak McKinley; Dorcy Super 1 Watt & Innova X1; UK 4AA eLED & Pelican M1. I had Princeton Tec Yukon HL headlamp & Peak 2005 CPF Special [Rainier] & Jetbeam C-LE [thanks CEJ]. Wow that Rainier can really throw! Other than some looong runtime low-output lights and 2D Mag w Diamond 3W led, thats about all the good lights I have. "See Honey - I NEED all of them"

We had a blast going down - including when the kids were sliding on some patches of left over snow that survived the recent rain.

I took some pictures - how do I post them?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

LED_Thrift said:
I took some pictures - how do I post them?
I'd like to see them. Try photobucket.com and setup a free account where you can upload your pictures. Next click on the text to the right of the words "IMG Code" below the picture. This will automatically copy it, then you just paste (CTRL + V) on the CPF text you're posting.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i looked at moon earlier and to me it seemed to be 14 full and then a bit later it looked to be full.now i know why

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U

It was that mr Pokkuhlag pointed out to me that it was going on last night, otherwise I'd have forgotten...

Clouds were coming in, but I did manage to shoot a couple of pictures before the clouds blocked my view completely. Due to the huge amount of arealighting (shot from a parkinglot in an urban area) and the hasty situation I took the pics in, they aren't too spectacular. This is just a crop from a jpeg image, but when I have some time I'll do an attempt on cleaning up the raw versions...

PICT2244_2.jpg

Another version of the same pic
just a little oversized for posting on CPF

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am happy for those who managed to go out and experience this awesome sight!

Unfortunately, my experience was drowned out by clouds. A big bummer - the day before yesterday the moon was so clear you'd think you could touch it just by reaching out with your hand. The morning of was clear as well, but by nighttime, no moon.

Anyway, I am enjoying reading the experiences of those of you who managed to see it, many many thanks for posting, I can relive the experience at least through your eyes!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast

We got this in the UK...crystal clear skies where I was, I watched through a pair of 10x42's.
smile.gif

Total solar eclipses are the best though...awe inspiring.

CFU