M*g85's & 60's Questions and optiond

paulsl

Enlightened
Is there any reason to use a MagCharger instead of a D cell Mag if one is changing the battery pack, charger (preferrably to 1/2D cells) and making other mods like reflectors. Is there anything in the construction that makes it any better able to handle the 1185, 1160,1111 or pelican. I guess that a larger light (4 or 5 or even 6 cell Mags) would give much longer running times with 1/2 D's while putting out the same light.

What are the advantages of 2 pin bulbs and potted bulbs? I 've ordered some parts from here Litho123, Kiu but haven't found what I needed from FM. Does he have a list somewhere? I like his stuff.

Any comments appreciated as these are my first mods.
Thx.

Thx.

bridgman

Enlightened
The MagCharger already has a bi-pin socket so one less mod required but you can't use the Pelican 3854 bulbs. The socket has some plastic in it whereas Kiu's socket is ceramic so a D mag modded with Kiu's socket will handle heat better.

The benefits of the Mag are :

(a) zero modding required if you just want to put in something like an 1160 (just put a mica heat shield under the bulb, included when you buy from litho123's GB),

(b) easy charging if you don't mind the slow charge times,

(c) nice combo charger/cradle if you use the light daily or thereabouts,

(d) HA-III finish so it holds up to abuse better than the regular Mags.

(e) the stock NiCD stick is reported to be better at low temperatures than NiMH if you live somewhere with a lot of winter and want to carry the light in the car.

If you're going to be changing reflectors anyways then the MC starts to have less of an advantage. The 1160 seems to have a big filament which widens the beam spot so you might find yourself happy with the stock reflector and an 1160 -- I was.

paulsl

Enlightened
Thx, Bridgman. I guess I'll get a full magcharger kit and one without anything besides the flashlight.