L2D runtime on primary lithiums

irjws

Newly Enlightened
Has any else notice Chevrofreak has added lithiums to his Fenix L2D rutime chart. The high mode is very impressive.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
you definitely need a little extra power to do the "turbo mode" justice.

josean

Newly Enlightened
irjws said:
Has any else notice Chevrofreak has added lithiums to his Fenix L2D rutime chart. The high mode is very impressive.

Could you give us the link, please...

veleno

Enlightened
If I use Energizer E2 lithium batteries the low and the medium levels are equal. With Duracell Plus all the levels are clearly different.

Vermonter73

Enlightened
I've been wondering if it could handle the high voltage of two lithiums. I assume it'll be ok with 2x14500 as well?

Last edited:

jhawkins1

Newly Enlightened
veleno said:
If I use Energizer E2 lithium batteries the low and the medium levels are equal. With Duracell Plus all the levels are clearly different.

If you look at the charts, I believe you will find a small spike in the output on low for the first few minutes on lithiums. That may be what you are seeing.

daveman

Enlightened
Does any know of a cheap place to buy these AA lithiums? As far as I know, Energizer is the ONLY company that makes lithium cells in AA size, and the cheapest I can find them is radioshack, where they sell 8 for 23 bucks (~$3 per cell). Any chinese manufacturers sell them for cheap?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
daveman said:
Does any know of a cheap place to buy these AA lithiums? As far as I know, Energizer is the ONLY company that makes lithium cells in AA size, and the cheapest I can find them is radioshack, where they sell 8 for 23 bucks (~$3 per cell). Any chinese manufacturers sell them for cheap?

Walmart sells them $10 for a 4 pack or a little under $17 for an 8 pack. That's the cheapest place I've seen them.

daveman

Enlightened
Thanks, TenPin. The website claims their AA lithiums have 2900 mAh capacity, what's the capacity for cr123s? Is Battery Station and Battery Space run by the same guy?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vermonter73 said:
I've been wondering if it could handle the high voltage of two lithiums. I assume it'll be ok with 2x14500 as well?

Electronics aren't my strong suite, but I would highly advise you to not use two 14500. Not sure, but think the Fenix L1D and L2D (basically the same light with different bodies) are rated at 4,0V, and you would exceed that with two 14500s.

bobby68

Newly Enlightened
daveman said:
Thanks, TenPin. The website claims their AA lithiums have 2900 mAh capacity, what's the capacity for cr123s?

Cr123 is mostly 1200 - 1400 mAh

Vermonter73

Enlightened
Lobo said:
Electronics aren't my strong suite, but I would highly advise you to not use two 14500. Not sure, but think the Fenix L1D and L2D (basically the same light with different bodies) are rated at 4,0V, and you would exceed that with two 14500s.

Ah, those Energizer lithiums aren't 3.6 volts, are they? Woops.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vermonter73 said:
Ah, those Energizer lithiums aren't 3.6 volts, are they? Woops.

Ok, it's very late here, and I'm getting dumber by the minute.
But I thought you we're refering to the rechargable 14500s, I think they are around 3,7V nominal voltage, and 4,2V max. The energizer AA lithium are a completely other beast. They work as regular AAs but with longer runtimes, and I believe they have slightly higher initial voltage, again, sorry, but electronics is not my forte.

daveman

Enlightened
Do these lithium AA cells have the same "potential" to vent & cause a sealed flashlight to explode as the CR123s? I don't think my ZTS battery tester can measure 1.5V lithium AAs...

irjws

Newly Enlightened
Lighthound has Energizer L-91 Lithium AA Batteries from 1.85 to 1.75 each, price is dependent on how many batteries you buy.

David_Campen

Enlightened
Do these lithium AA cells have the same "potential" to vent & cause a sealed flashlight to explode as the CR123s?
Lithium AA cells are a different chemistry from 123 cells and I have not seen any reports of Lithium AA cells "venting with flame".

David_Campen

Enlightened
Thanks, TenPin. The website claims their AA lithiums have 2900 mAh capacity, what's the capacity for cr123s?
The two types of cells have about the same energy content - 123 cells delivery about half as many ampere-hours but at about twice the voltage.

Is Battery Station and Battery Space run by the same guy?
I believe that they are entirely separate and unrelated companies.