Anybody else have a rattle in their Propolymer?

Cypher

Enlightened
I finally jumped on the bandwagon and got a 4aa propolymer luxeon. I decided it was time for my son to quit playing with my lights and losing them so I got him one of his own. I noticed that there is a slight metallic rattle in the head. If I remove it from the light and shake just the reflector assembly I can hear a rattle inside.

Anyone else's do this? It's not real loud so it only bothers me if it's a circuit board component that's loose or something. I don't have the receipt so I don't want to hassle with warranty issues if it's nothing.

Thanks.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it's the catalyst pebble in there - it's normal, and it's to absorb gases from the batteries I think..

dirobesh

Enlightened
Yup, ACMarina is right. Nothing to worry about, mine is just the same - it's a great light - enjoy. :)

Cypher

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about the catalyst pellets but that makes sense. I won't worry about it then.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you seem to have found the source of your rattle, it might also help for you to know that Streamlight seldom asks for a receipt, nor do their warranty repair centers. Do note however, that some of the warranty dealers limit the types of lights that they will work on so you may still need to send it to Streamlight; our local warranty station will only work on the rechargeable products, and I think they limit even that to those products that are in use in the public safety agencies.

Cypher said:
I don't have the receipt so I don't want to hassle with warranty issues if it's nothing.

Thanks.

Illum

Flashaholic
platium catalyst?
I thought the catalysts just the two little green pellets?

the head on mine doesnt rattle, its the battery that rattles, is there a way to dissassemble the tail switch to retension the springs? [a little oT, my apologies]

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same with mine. I don't know if it is just the one that I have with me or if it is characteristic of all of the ones that I have, I know that at least one other one that I have does rattle as well. Doesn't really bother me, as it doesn't impact the performance at all. I would think that Streamlight's solution would be to replace the entire body rather than to attempt to repair the switch assembly. Since the light carries a lifetime warranty, you'd probably be best served by letting Streamlight fix it if there is an issue.

Illum_the_nation said:
the head on mine doesnt rattle, its the battery that rattles, is there a way to dissassemble the tail switch to retension the springs? [a little oT, my apologies]

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:

Try inserting a thin piece of cardboard, or thick piece of paper, along the side of the battery compartment.

Someone else said they fixed the rattle by making two rolled paper tubes to slip lengthwise over each set of two cells during battery installation.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Illum_the_nation said:
platium catalyst?
0I thought the catalysts just the two little green pellets?
Catalyst pellets are usually a medium grey in color with a coarse (not smooth) texture, not green. Unless something has recently changed.