Cree Stainless Steel Reviewed. Updated Runtime.

x2x3x2

Banned
Well what can i say, pretty dissapointing.
Good materials like glass lens and ss body, but bad finishing and low output pulled this little light down.

Last edited:

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Re: Cree Stainless Steel reviewed.

I like your review but, you failed to mention what type of battery you used. cr123 or rcr123?
Mike

x2x3x2

Banned

It's an unbranded light, the body is jus plain ss all over.
Wops sorry, i tried both CR123 and R123 cells, not notceable difference in output.

Windscale

Enlightened

Yes, I saw this light last week in Hong Kong. The finishing was so bad that I nearly ended up with a few scratches. As I wrote in another thread, don't just get carried away when you see CREE or SEOUL. One must look carefully at the finishing, the switches and the heatsink, if there is one. CREE is now very popular in Hong Kong. China is pouring millions of them out everyday. Buyers beware.

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened

Yes, a light is definitely the sum of its parts, plus some.
Poor machining, LEDs off center, etc., makes a light a no-go.
The new Crees and Seouls are nice, but I will take a precision light with a good lux in it over a poorly made light with a Seoul.

I won't even look at a light anymore unless it comes with a true glass window; UCL or even multi-coated.

It is the details that matter.

HiltiHome

Enlightened

FYI:

Glass lens is 17,5mmx1,8mm, plastic reflector is 17,8mmx10,4mm, circuit board is 16,8mm dia, components are 8530-36184 labeled chip, SS14 diode, inductor of unknown value.

The Cree XR-E is floating 1,3mm over the base in the head, there is absolutely no thermal contact to the head or body of the light!!!

There is no o-ring between the lens and the bezel.

I rate the construction zero points.

@x2x3x2: you may use my pics posted in the other thread, if they are any good...

x2x3x2

Banned

Overall i would have bought this light if it cost about $10-$15 shipped if only for modding, the body would have to be re-finished at the very least using a medium grit sanding material. But at about $25, i would go with something like the LumaPower LM30x series anytime.

Hilti, thanks so much for letting me use your pics, i really like the last exploded pic u did with the body on top and the head below :) thanks again!

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
Re: Cree Stainless Steel reviewed: Take 2!

I recieved some new AW high current cells today, tried it out in the Cree SS and output increased quite a bit. added new shots for both cell types and some output numbers.

x2x3x2

Banned
Yup, that $13 light on DX is a different one.

This SS light actually cam out quite sometime ago, its basically a clone of the P1, and the C1 will be a clone of this too. Hopefully the C1 will have better finishing.

Im waiting for either DX or Kai to carry the C1, QCG tend to be a little over priced. Paid $30+ for my C2 from QCG, and it only costs $20+ on DX.