First time post - WE M90 or 2D ROP

bowman

Newly Enlightened
Newbie first time post and I have a lot to learn. I need help in deciding between the 2 lights below. I recently bought a Streamlight TL-3 and really like it, but I'd like something with even more punch, preferably towards the throw. Will both give me similar output? I would like to stay in the $130-$150 price range. Apologies if this has been discussed before.

2D Mag ROP with this setup.

6aa rechargeable batteries
Borofloat lens
Pelican Big D bulbs
FiveMega dual cam reflector LOP

Or …….

Wolf Eyes M90-13V with 700 lumens EO-13 LA from Lumens Factory
I'm aware of the heat warnings.

Thanks so much for your help

vortechs

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! It certainly looks like you have been doing your research before asking questions. Thanks.

I don't have the Lumen Factory EO-13 light assembly so I can't directly compare my Wolf Eyes M90-13V to my ROP.

The WE M90-13V is a simpler turnkey solution. I also like the thinner, more convenient to carry body of the M90 compared to the thick 2D Mag. If carrying the light in a belt holster is a consideration, the WE M90 is definitly more convenient than a 2D Mag.

With the ROP you will find yourself looking at accessories and upgrades like a battery pack charger, high current NiMH cells, tailspring and switch resistance mods, etc. It can become quite a project (then you'll find yourself wanting a Mag85, Mag623...). I've found the ROP is brighter on 7 rested AA NiMH cells than on 6 cells, but it is harder to fit the 7 AA cells + 1 dummy in the 2D body.

Of course the CPF motto is "get both".

Glen C

Enlightened
Bowman, I have the WE & LF combo you have described, impressive. I think the WE is simpler and the ROP is more fun to build. I will have some beamshots up in a week or so for that combo, has more spill than most of the LF lamps but still with great throw.

Of course, in best CPF tradition - get both :grin2:

zehnmm

Enlightened
I second what Glen C says: Get both! I have both a WE M100 and ROP, not to mention Mag610 with HD, ..... It will never end!

oregon

Enlightened
ROP2D002.jpg

bowman said:
I need help in deciding

The ROP, mine is the 2D version, is a completely delicious rite of passage. It is the flashlight version of seeing the elephant. You can do it and you won't be sorry. And, it should run the new SSC P4 LED brightly http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html

Carrying is an issue without question. However, when you need a whole lot of light then the ROP is a drop dead killer in that category.

oregon

bowman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies; Comparative beamshots would be great, but I have a feeling I'll end up getting both. This hobby is more expensive than I thought It
Would be … but I can't seem to stop myself.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
TORCH_BOY said:
Welcome to the jungle

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: Couldn't have said it better myself! And to the poster; when you build your ROP, I suggest you go with a MOP reflector for the Pelican bulbs as it's a good match.

dalekcommander

Newly Enlightened
I just got my own M90 13v with 700 lumen bulb yesterday - might want to check out my review post.

This is what I consider to be my first "real" light and I only just joined the forum myself a few days ago.

1: PTS flashlights is an awsome dealer - Mike is great and from what I have been hearing he is a consistently cool guy, so service/support from them should not be a problem.
2: The conversion kit makes the flashlight look almost a foot long, but that is okay - like I say, it's not carrying a club around.
3: I ordered the light and conversion kit at the same time. I ended up with 5 batteries, 3 lamps (a 200, a 700 and a 400{?} lumen) 2 chargers and a holster all for 279.00 which includes the $44 I spent on Next Day Air shipping.

Enjoy!

Last edited: