Photon Proton versus What?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

What lights compare to the much-maligned Photon Proton?

Let's use as the criteria of:
1) at least 2 brightness levels
2) single AA battery

I don't suppose anything else has a red secondary LED?

Scott

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously? If you're only criteria is least 2 brightness lvs and 1AA, there are TONS of options. Fenix, Jetbeam, Rexlight, Liteflux, Lumapower all have a couple of lights who match this criteria. And many of them even use CREE.

Red LED is harder.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.

To be honest, I have totally ignored the single AA lights since I got my CMG Infinity back when they first came out. I don't know much about any lights in that class.

I just got a Photon Proton. It is a really cool little light. After running one battery through it I can tell that I will use the red LED quite a bit. I like the dimming feature too. Out here in the countryside I find the brightest setting to be excessive for walking around.

It used to be that a single AA light was too dim to be much of an effective light. But now, with the vastly brighter LEDs, it seems there is a need for multiple levels to cover typical uses. Maybe 2 levels is a bit on the lean side for the bright lights. I think for something as bright as the Proton I would want 3 or more levels. The Photon-style dimming certainly is nice in such a case.

I'll have to check out those other brands.

Scott

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if I sounded a bit rude, been spending way too much time here and forgot that normal people dont know this stuff. :)

You should seriously check out the Fenix L1D, 4lvls of light (actually 3 since high and turbo are equal), strobe and SOS(imho totally useless...), and a good UI that dont force you to see all these settings if you dont want to. The other lights are usually click or twist until you get the right level, which can be a royal pain, especially if there is a lot of lvls. And it has a really bright high, and a usable low.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm
The Lumapower M3 looks very promising too, but havent seen any reviews yet.

Good luck, it's a jungle out there.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
There really is nothing out there with
- extra Red LED output
- multivariable output
- convenience and easy to use UI
- superb pocket clip

Hopefully LRI will be making a kick *** Cree based Proton soon ..... which will put Fenix in the shade !!