new laptop recommendations?

hquan

Enlightened
I work as a developer and it's been a couple of years since i've bought a new laptop. I currently have an IBM T42p which is a decent system. I've only been disappointed in the number of times that I've needed to have it repaired (about 9). Thank goodness I bought the on-site tech support!

I'm looking for a fast, sturdy, top of the line laptop with a minimum of 2 gig of RAM. It must run Windows (since I'm a .Net developer). I'm not in any hurry to buy. Any recommendations? What are the best manufacturers? I used to think that IBM was supposed to be the best, but my personal experience has not lived up to the reputation.

Thanks!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think IBM has manufactured laptops (or any other personal computer) for quite some time now (at least a decade.) I think their laptops came through Acer and Lenovo. There aren't that many companies that actually manufacture laptops, most of the actual manufacturing is done by Chinese companies that you've never heard of and then branded with whatever name is selected.

hquan said:
I used to think that IBM was supposed to be the best, but my personal experience has not lived up to the reputation.

Thanks!

myk

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
I don't think IBM has manufactured laptops (or any other personal computer) for quite some time now (at least a decade.) I think their laptops came through Acer and Lenovo. There aren't that many companies that actually manufacture laptops, most of the actual manufacturing is done by Chinese companies that you've never heard of and then branded with whatever name is selected.

IBM made their own laptops until last year - design anyways, construction is outsourced by everyone in the electronics industry and is a horrible indicator of anything.

Lenovo is the company IBM sold their PC business to, and they still (even after ~1000 layoff a few weeks ago) have a sizeable US workforce designing these laptops to this day. All said, I think the T4x series had the most problems of any thinkpad to date, with the T20's being solid like a rock, T30s that just keep going, and the new T60s have also been showing pretty solid

check your PMs

for ~$50 more and same specs I buy the lenovo, for deep discount I'll go with the dell - no matter what I ALWAYS buy the "Even if you drop it and pour water/beer on it we will fix it for free" warranty - its a lot less hassle, keyboards, power plugs, screen all covered

Last edited:

MicroE

Enlightened
Apple Powerbook with Intel processor to run windows or OS.
I love my Apple laptop. Even after two years, I still prefer it to my super dooper new 2007 Alienware $$$ laptop.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you work for IBM, you might want to check with some other internal sources. I don't think there has been much "design" since the PS/2 line. Some of the IBM products have not only not seen any IBM design, some of them never saw IBM at all other than getting an IBM logo slapped on the case. Not that IBM won't stand behind products bearing their name, their customer service is unquestionably amongst the best of any company bar none, however it does come at a price. I don't think IBM is in the business of either desktop or laptop PCs anymore are they?

myk said:
IBM made their own laptops until last year - design anyways, construction is outsourced by everyone in the electronics industry and is a horrible indicator of anything.

Lenovo is the company IBM sold their PC business to, and they still (even after ~1000 layoff a few weeks ago) have a sizeable US workforce designing these laptops to this day. All said, I think the T4x series had the most problems of any thinkpad to date, with the T20's being solid like a rock, T30s that just keep going, and the new T60s have also been showing pretty solid

check your PMs

for ~$50 more and same specs I buy the lenovo, for deep discount I'll go with the dell - no matter what I ALWAYS buy the "Even if you drop it and pour water/beer on it we will fix it for free" warranty - its a lot less hassle, keyboards, power plugs, screen all covered

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
IBM has been in the process of getting out of micro-computing for a while now, I think the only major physical product they still make are their servers last I heard from my uncle who works for them. Their major source of revenue these days are mostly business services and high-level computational work.

chrwe

Newly Enlightened
I too will have to replace my beloved Thinkpad (T20) in the near future. I have layed my eyes on Fujitsu-Siemens' E- or S-series. They offer 5 year on site service for them (unless you want your machine fixed within four hours - what they will do at a price - their prices for on site service seem very reasonable to me; maybe meaning they don't expect their machines to break very often).

CLHC

Flashaholic
Unlike the BIG name companies milling out their computers which many today have much to say about their CS. . .How about checking out some of the laptop(s)/notebook(s) computers from Amrel, Itronix, or Panasonic's Toughbook?

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

hquan

Enlightened
I haven't looked specifically at the fujitsu E or S series - but i don't see fujitsu's generally getting top scores in reviews. I'm actually won't be buying it for another 6-12 months. I'm just trying to get a pulse on the industry and figure out who makes the best laptops AND has the best on site service. This is how i make a living - so I'm willing to spend a good chunk of change to get the best.

I took a quick look at the toughbook - and they do seem interesting - especially since I 'll have a toddler by then (currently a baby).

Anyone know which laptops actually have the lowest # of repairs?

I know that IBM has outsourced their on-site service - and the same techs also supported other brands and electronics, such as printers, and wide screen TV's. With so many different products to support, I believe the quality of the field techs on computers has gone down. Does anyone know which manufacturers still have an in house service department - where the techs service only their computers?

Thanks!

CLHC

Flashaholic
I think Pixel USA Computer LLC is one of the few around that has that type customer service you're looking for. Try looking them up.

Enjoy!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a local AM talk radio show, "Computer Talk," (Sat. & Sun. 12-3pm, AM1070, Los Angeles) I heard the host say his top picks for laptops were Fujitsu (#1) and the Toshiba Techrin (SP?) line. He says Fujitsus are made and assembled in Japan using Japanese components. I don't know how reliable his opinion is, but that's what it is.

chrwe

Newly Enlightened
hquan said:
I haven't looked specifically at the fujitsu E or S series - but i don't see fujitsu's generally getting top scores in reviews.

I found out, that you have to distinguish between Fujitsu's 'Lifebook' and Fujitsu's 'Amilo' notebook series. The Lifebook series are marketed for business use and usually - especially E and S series - get quite good reviews (http://www.notebookreview.com/).

The 'Amilo' series are marketed for consumer use... so they have to have all the features and they have to be cheap. Reliability numbers usually aren't printed on the shiny box so the average consumer doesn't care... This is where they collect not-so-good reviews. You also cannot get 5 year on site service for an Amilo notebook.

I cannot tell about their notebook cs; their industry standard server cs has been top notch in the one case I needed them.

hquan

Enlightened

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a IBM (Lenovo) ThinkPad R51 since 1 year and 4 months and I love it. No problem so far! This has been a completely different story with my Toshiba A20. It broke 4 times in a 1.5 year timespan... And i had no warranty other than the 1 year that comes with every new laptop. It costs a lot to repair a laptop out of warranty. With my IBM I have the 3 years on site warranty but I still haven't tested it yet! ;)

havand

Enlightened
Asus laptops. They're ensemble line is more fashionable, but they make some build it yourself style whiteboxes too. I don't know what your size/spec/toughness requirements are. A good place to start is www.geared2play.com I personally have an asus w3j with an x1600 graphics card. I'm really happy with it. Plays HL2 really well :) Only wish it had a 1680x1050 screen instead of a 1280x800, but oh well. A good site is www.notebookreview.com They're forums and review section is excellent. I'm not affiliated with either, btw.

chrwe

Newly Enlightened
hquan said:
Thanks for clarifying about the fujitsu's. I have seen the Lifebook series get lower ratings though. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1552802,00.asp
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/0,39050488,39092022p,00.htm

Thanks for the links. I considered FSC's support quite good - until I read this thread at their forums:
http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12942

It basically says they screwed up on the S7020 design and didn't want to take responsibility for it. Screwing up is one thing...

What makes me even more suspicious is that I haven't found a long thread (I found a very short one linking to the above thread) about the S7020 issues in the German part of their forums, although there should have been according to this newsgroup post.

Might sticking with T-Series Thinkpads be a solution? I don't know...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty dead-on, it looks like IBM is indeed becoming a software company. The business services portion (aka "guns for hire") started back in the early 90's

EDIT Forgot ... their POS terminal and systems business will probably continue to be a line of hardware that they can continue in for the time being.

270winchester said:
IBM has been in the process of getting out of micro-computing for a while now, I think the only major physical product they still make are their servers last I heard from my uncle who works for them. Their major source of revenue these days are mostly business services and high-level computational work.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think IBM CEs may have been the last of the breed. If you were thinking of on-site service, I dont think any manufacturer has specially trained personnel for that purpose anymore, it will most likely be an out-source company of some sort that will represent multiple manufacturers and possibly even multiple lines of electronic products.

hquan said:
I know that IBM has outsourced their on-site service - and the same techs also supported other brands and electronics, such as printers, and wide screen TV's. With so many different products to support, I believe the quality of the field techs on computers has gone down. Does anyone know which manufacturers still have an in house service department - where the techs service only their computers?

Thanks!

freefall8

Newly Enlightened
I bought a refurbished Dell laptop from the Dell Outlet. The Outlet store is a link off the main Dell website. You can buy any type of warranty to accompany your purchase.

I found a Dell 710M with 2GB RAM and a Dual Layer 8GB DVD burner that is great!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which reminds me ...
If there is a Costco Business Center near you (not one of the retail wholesale warehouses), they often have refurbed computers that carry a factory warranty, at fairly affordable prices. They also carry more affordable cases than they carry in their retail warehouses.

And ... if you wondered what happened to all those industrial use items (including food and restaurant supplies) that used to be the more common offering from Price Club and early Costco, check out one of the Business Centers.

For the folks in the Bay Area, the only one that I know of around here is in Hayward on A Street.