Taking some pics of my inova X1s using long shutter to capture GID

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I even took the time to make a video of my project.

Here's some of the pics I took. The pics aren't from the video shoot because I had to take too many, although it was the same shoot. The video was just for example. I took about a hundred pics, and had to re-charge the lights to get the best effect. They are lights I've been using for more than a year, so they show some wear, but they're well loved. Actually, they have been used at work and take some abuse. The pics aren't perfect, but I was losing interest/attention, so I decided to just chose the best from the shoot and not try to re-set everything. I picked up the granite slab off the street today from a work site. I thought it might make for an interesting setting.

Also, I ended up boosting the shutter to 8 secs, because the glow wasn't showing up, and set the aperture to 8 to get the end of the light in focus. I set the lighting to "flourescent", that works well for LEDs to correct the color. My camera will take 10 shots in a row, so that is a good setting to use when experimenting with lighting the shot. For the GID pics, I had to charge the lights between each shot.

These are the original X1, still the best in my opinion. I added the GID a year ago, makes the lights extra cool.

2xX1023.jpg

-
2xX1029.jpg

-
2xX1024.jpg

-
2xX1026.jpg

-
2xX1027.jpg

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
jumpstat said:
Nice pics, BTW what are those white paste just behind the lense?

that's the reflection of the GID paint that i used. There is a fair amount inside, I only had one try and wanted to make it glow pretty good, so I wasn't shy when applying it.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too agree that the original X1 is the best. I have one modded with a royal blue LED. Someday I'll grab another and the X1's big bro, the X0.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pics. I like photo #2 the best. It looks like it was lit more from the rear, so the front of the light is more in shadow, which I think shows off the "glow" of the LED better.

The slight graduation of light on the slab from front to back also helps with the glow. Nice.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Derek Dean said:
Nice pics. I like photo #2 the best. It looks like it was lit more from the rear, so the front of the light is more in shadow, which I think shows off the "glow" of the LED better.

The slight graduation of light on the slab from front to back also helps with the glow. Nice.

You are correct. Getting the right look of the glow paint was tough... It's supposed to be BRIGHT!