The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire A2 Owners - What's your bulb life?

Question Surefire A2 Owners - What's your bulb life?

Greetings!

I owned a Surefire A2 Aviator for 8 or 9 months last year, and ended up selling it to help fund a Kroma. The entire time I owned it, using it as my EDC light with at least 10 minutes of use per day (longer when camping or working late...), I never did burn out a bulb. I sold it with the original bulb still intact and burning bright.

I purchased two new A2's yesterday (1 with Red LED, 1 with White) along with a spare MA02 lamp assembly, and I'm curious about what to realistically expect in the way of bulb life.

For all you A2 owners out there... how often have you needed to change a bulb? Were your bulb failures typically due to burnout, or being shocked/dropped/etc.?

Best wishes,
    Bawko
    Support your local chicken

The Ultimate Light: Surefire A2 Aviator - Thread Index!

Announcing: Aviatrix mods for Surefire A2 Aviators!
    New product: World's finest keychain glow fobs!

Default Re: Surefire A2 Owners - What's your bulb life?

Hello

I have been using my A2 approx 15 mins per night 4 nights a week for 2 years and still on original bulb. I am a pilot and depart at 10pm nightly, the A2 done all my preflight inspections and post flight inspections with me. I have been through and tried at least 15 other lights and this is still my favorite light for what i do. I think that is due to the momentary on(LED's), with the ability to have more light (incan) with only a little more pressure. When the bulb finally blows ill post when and how.

I have over 40 hours of use on one MA02 before I retired it early. It's still as bright and white a fresh bulb. I've never had an MA02 bulb fail, and none of ones I'm currently using in my A2's are showing any signs of getting old.

It's been over a year now and the original bulb on my A2 is still fine.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Flashaholic*

I have two A2 that are about two years old or so. Neither has a blown bulb but I don't use the incan a huge amount.

Chris
    A Government is most likely to be made up of a group of individuals who are likely not governed themselves.

I've only blown one MA02 and it had 60+ hours on it.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

my MAo2 gave way to shock after a fall onto concrete with roughly 30 hours on the bulb. Funny, it had taken many falls like that before finally dying.
    It isn't the life that matters, it's the courage you put into it.

Mine is still going after almost 3 years and it was used when I got it. None of my other Surefires have burned out a bulb either.
    Dave An old signature photo left from my more active days here.

My A2 bulb is still going strong, only 20 minutes of whitewall, being a shelf queen.

I have yet to burn a lamp out, and my original A2 had at least 50 hours over nearly 3 years on it.

My brother in law did a tour in Baghdad and never burned a lamp out though he stopped counting how many cells he went through.

The soft start helps, and they are just good lamps!

That said, FiveMegas socket/lamp combo using a Strion lamp is a LITTLE brighter and whiter, and the beam is actually a little better, at least in my A2.

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

hey bwaites, what is a "FiveMegas socket/lamp combo using a Strion lamp?" I have not heard of any replacement/upgrade lamps for the A2 in all the months i've owned one.

dunno...I've had mine for half a year now [give or take] it could go tomorrow or it could go somewhere in 08, I dont use mine much and since its second hand I have no idea how much the lamps seen light

Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

Haven't counted exactly. But if I remember correctly between June and September of 2006, I used it for atleast 3-4 hours a week.

So 14 weeks with 3.5 hours per week gives 49 hours.
    I have multiple lights for each of Surefire, HDS/Ra/Novatac, Jetbeam, Zebralights, FourSevens, Fenix and some from other manufacturers.
    See my Lights #132

roger that bwaites, batman out. Lumens factory needs to get on this idea...
    Last edited by batman; 03-07-2007 at 02:03 AM.

...I havent blown one yet

Flashaholic*

I had mine on my first bulb for 2 years and 3 months, it probably had 25 hours on it. It looked a little dark from age, but that was about it. Since sending it to SF for a warranty issue I got a brand new bulb, I've dropped the A2 on asphalt and it still works. I love this light!

I think we could start a "First Bulbs Club"...
    I love my Al-PD

Thank for the valuable info :]

I was a bit worried about the bulb life of my A2 but
    I feel much better now :]
    Heaven must be full of Bullterriers and radishes :]

Quote Originally Posted by ACMarina View Post
    I think we could start a "First Bulbs Club"...
    Got my Black A2 nearly 2 years ago still on First Bulb
    Semper Paratus

Hey Bawko,

Good thread question!

I've never burned out an MA02, either due to burn time or dropping or shocking it. My first A2 lamp that came with my first A2 lasted for at least 40 or 50 hours before I replaced it. And I replaced it not because it burned out, but because it was noticeably less bright than the lamp that came with the new black A2 that Bill Waites gave me. (Thanks, Bill! ). I noticed the difference and I was like "Why is this black A2 brighter?" and I switched the LA's and sure enough that was the difference. So I immediately dropped in my new spare MA02 and !VOILA! it was every bit as bright as the black A2 I just got.

I think 40 hours is a reasonable estimate of the lamp life before it starts to lose lumens. It will stay just as "white" (i.e. CCT), but the buildup of tungsten on the inside of the glass will start to keep some of the light from getting out of the bulb.

I EDC my A2 pretty much every day, and I change my MA02 once a year to once a year and a half just on principle. That's about 35 to 40 hours in my case, given that I go through a set of 123's every two weeks or so, on average. But as to how long you could run the MA02 until it blew? That's a good question. At least 50+ hours. All thanks to the soft-start I think.

But if we are looking for the lamp life till it drops to 85 percent of starting output (meaning lumens, not CCT/whiteness), I'd say that is about 40 hours, and that's a pretty good definition in this case, I think.
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by quokked View Post
    Got my Black A2 nearly 2 years ago still on First Bulb
    Same Here: Bought my Black A2 in 09/05, quickly followed by an A2-HA in 11/05. Both get used frequently, both still on first bulb.

Best Regards:
    Bob

Super Moderator

I had one burn out about 3 weeks ago, but I had bought the light used and it had obviously seen a fair bit of service (I don't know how many hours.) The replacement bulb was MUCH brighter than the old one, so it does seem true that they lose some brightness with age.
    Resistance is futile...

I've got a few Surefire A2's and use them a lot, especially the white A2's. My wife uses a red A2 all the time because her eyes are sensitive at night.

Lamp assembly life is not an issue.

I don't think I've ever burned out an A2 lamp assembly, if I have I've long since forgotten about it.

I did however accidentally break the rear end off of a lamp assembly once when I got the brilliant idea of taking it apart and rotating it to adjust the beam.

Richard

Got mine in Mid-Late November, Used it for about 4 hours and still am on first LA.

Bump. I bought a used A2 with a very dim bulb (from buildup on the inside) so I bought a replacment from a member here. Looking for any new info.

Well, it is not lamp life related, but I thought I would post in this thread and bring some attention back to this great light.

Recently posted in to my new assignment, been going through my boxes and found one of my A2s. Has the stock lamp in it, but in checking it out, I noticed the lamp is literally stuck inside the bezel (was confirming it prior to installing batteries).
    Anyone ever had this problem with an A2? I am concerned because too much force on the lamp might damage the led assembly.

Thank you for any information that you may provide.

That's not uncommon in my experience. You just have to use a bit of force. If you use a pliers, the plastic end piece might come off. I'd just be careful and work at it for awhile with slow and even pressure, it will pop out. Maybe grab the metal legs and try and twist it a bit as you pull back. To address the subject of this thread. I've never burned out an MA02. I have over a hundred hours on some with no visible darkening. I use basically the same two and keep all my new and rarely used A2 lamps in reserve. One of them the wire is just barely touching the base because someone must have messed with it at one time. The sucker just won't die.
    ampdude

No reason to start a new thread since this one never died. Both of my y-g a2’s were brand new in 2013/2014 and they’re on the same bulbs
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast