LED house numbers

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone seen LED lit house number signs at at decent price?
(Below $70.00.)

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
Hey Mike
Dont know about you but I dont think Id like being that much of a target at night. You might attract "undue" attention.......

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
thehappyman said:
Hey Mike
Dont know about you but I dont think Id like being that much of a target at night. You might attract "undue" attention.......

I don't know where you live but the probability of someone having to find a house in an emergency far out weighs the need to avoid being a "target" because your house has an illuminated number around here - and - and anywhere else I've lived and worked.

I've responded a number of times when we were unable to find the address and time was lost pounding on doors. Enhanced 911 does not help. Iif nobody answers those doors we break in.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
thehappyman said:
Hey Mike

In my city, illuminated house numbers are required for all new construction. I don't know how long it has been a requirement, but at least since 2001 (when I applied for a building permit).

I believe the reasoning behind the city ordinance is for the reasons Mike Painter stated earlier in this thread.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made my own lighted house numbers. I didn't use LEDs though- considering getting a string of LED lights). I used a string of those tube lights with the miniature incan bulbs inside. I put that string of lights in a wooden box with a translucent front with my numbers attached. I just use a light timer with an electric eye that turns on the light at dusk and off at dawn.

Last edited:

flash_bang

Enlightened
btw, the lights in the thinkgeek thing are back lit, not sure if that's the effect you're goin for, but suit yourself.

in response to Mr. Painter's signature, I did get involved, I should get my card in a couple weeks!

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all for the results.

An interesting puzzle which you will proabaly figure out based on the thread.

1 costs seventy-five cents,
4 costs seventy-five cents,
9 costs seventy-five cents,
25 costs $1.50,
50 cost $1.50,
and 100 cost $2.25.
What am I buying?

GreySave

Enlightened
I have these on my own home. VERY easy to see from a distance and have received many comments from passing police and even firefighters. They charge even on cloudy days and WILL maintain brightness the entire night, even during the winter months. There are better looking (daytime) lights out there, but the brightness and evenly spread lighting of these makes them a winner at night. The cost is about $15 per number. Well worth it based upon my experience.

http://www.ezlight.net/gallery/index.html

D MacAlpine

Newly Enlightened
Mike Painter said:
An interesting puzzle which you will proabaly figure out based on the thread.

1 costs seventy-five cents,
4 costs seventy-five cents,
9 costs seventy-five cents,
25 costs $1.50,
50 cost $1.50,
and 100 cost $2.25.
What am I buying?
At those prices cetainly not LED house numbers........:laughing: