Inova X1 versus Fenix E0

fleegs

Enlightened
Does anyone find it wierd that the Fenix E0 has a runtime of 12 hours to 50% but the Inova X1 has a runtime of 8 hours to 50% (per flashlightreviews.com)? How does a AAA get more runtime than a AA? Is the circuit in the Inova that less efficient?

rob

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
I guess the circuitry in each light plays a part in this, after all the Fenix E0 is newer than the current X1. But I think the main reason for difference in runtime is because the output of the X1 (reflector type) is twice that of the E0. But the X1 will soon have a makeover and will use a Lux I instead of the 5mm LED.

fleegs

Enlightened
So it appears to have twice the output (3 v 6 on flashlightreviews.com for overall output). But wouldn't they still have the same runtime since the battery has twice the capacity? Or am I thinking about this wrong? Also with twice the output doesn't that mean Inova is overdriving the LED? Isn't this what people knock Arc for?

Thanks,
rob

flash_bang

Enlightened
nvm, was thinking of the Inova X0 that runs on 123's

Last edited:

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
I don't think the numbers don't work in a completely linear way like that. Twice the capacity or number of cells usually doesn't always equal twice the runtime. And running at twice the output often means less than half the runtime. Just look at SureFire lights with LOLAs & HOLAs. But as mentioned before they are two different lights from two different companies. So taking measurements of the drive currents, Vf, even comparing the LEDs used in each light would give the best breakdown of why.

flash bang: You're probably thinking of the P1 or P1D. The E0 runs off of one AAA cell.

flash_bang

Enlightened
FrogsInWinter said:
flash bang: You're probably thinking of the P1 or P1D. The E0 runs off of one AAA cell.

Man I really, really messed that up! I was actually thinking of the Inova X0, not the fenix E0.the Inova X0 runs on 123's all the same I also edited my above post

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
fleegs said:
So it appears to have twice the output (3 v 6 on flashlightreviews.com for overall output). But wouldn't they still have the same runtime since the battery has twice the capacity? Or am I thinking about this wrong? Also with twice the output doesn't that mean Inova is overdriving the LED? Isn't this what people knock Arc for?

Thanks,
rob

Usually when an LED is overdriven its efficiency goes down. This is normally due to an increase in heat generated. Is probably the case when comparing these two lights.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both these lights, the output is around the same, the Fenix does consume
around 50 ma and the X1 around 150 ma, I guess its all about the efficiency of both the Led and Driver circuits

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to FlashLightReviews the overall output of the Fenix E0 is 3.00, while the Innova X-1 output is 6.00 and reaches 50% output after 8 hours.